Options

Time to fight back against the anti Clarksons

Comments

• Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Are other situation comedy actors harried in such a way for the actions of their on screen persona?

None of them are "actors" so your point is ... well, pointless. They are "personalities" and while the show may be scripted, they are essentially playing themselves, albeit a caricaturised version.

If Clarkson genuinely thinks the xenophobic bigot aspects of his nature are entertaining, someone needs to put him straight.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Why are people so confused by Clarkson "the character" and Clarkson the "real man"?

I'd take most of the things he says in public with a pinch of salt - winding people up is what he does to a deadline for money.

He knows he treads a fine line.

I'm sorry but this is a stupid statement. So what if he is different off screen than he is on? What he says it's still offensive.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    Judging by your post I doubt you've even met a black person let alone have any as friends. How transparent are you.

Indeed, "My black friends tell me that........." - I always find it quite amusing how the most obscure of topics has always conveniently arisen for conversation between them at some point.
    Your excuses for that excuse for a human is becoming more desperate and rather pathetic.

I wouldn't quite put him in that category, but I do think he's an obnoxious, arrogant tosspot.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    None of them are "actors" so your point is ... well, pointless. They are "personalities" and while the show may be scripted, they are essentially playing themselves, albeit a caricaturised version..

Caricature
    A caricature is a rendered image showing the features of its subject in a simplified or exaggerated way.

In literature, a caricature is a description of a person using exaggeration of some characteristics and oversimplification of others.[1]

Caricatures can be insulting or complimentary and can serve a political purpose or be drawn solely for entertainment. Caricatures of politicians are commonly used in editorial cartoons, while caricatures of movie stars are often found in entertainment magazines.

In this case the caricature would be the on-screen persona which they are portraying.

Jeremy Clarkson
    Actor (3 credits)
    2013 Phineas and Ferb (TV Series) - Live and Let Drive (2013)
    2006 Cars - Harv (UK version, voice)
    2004 Dalziel and Pascoe (TV Series) Man on TV - The Price of Fame (2004) ... Man on TV (uncredited)

Richard Hammond
    Hide Actor (1 credit)
    2006 Scragg n Bones (Short) - Scragg

... If Clarkson genuinely thinks the xenophobic bigot aspects of his nature are entertaining, someone needs to put him straight.

I think his bank balance, and ratings, would tell him otherwise.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    When I get into heated debates with my black friends, we strip off and settle it with a fight on the carpet, mandingo style.

Are you selling tickets for that? :p
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    Are you selling tickets for that? :p

You have to oil us up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You have to oil us up.

Deal!
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    None of them are "actors" so your point is ... well, pointless. They are "personalities" and while the show may be scripted, they are essentially playing themselves, albeit a caricaturised version.

If Clarkson genuinely thinks the xenophobic bigot aspects of his nature are entertaining, someone needs to put him straight.

The issue isn't whether Clarkson thinks his public persona is entertaining, he knows it is. It clearly entertains many people who are prepared to excuse him on the basis that his "schtick" is pushing the boundaries and if he sometimes oversteps and actually offends people e.g. the "slopes" incident then it's only proves that people are too easily offended. In any case it was a joke and these things must be taken in context.

Therefore there is no reason to condemn Clarkson for considering using the word n****r or something that sounded like it in a twice pre-recorded piece to camera. Indeed he should be praised for his good taste and sensitivity in deciding that it was not possible to broadcast the original version and leave enough plausible deniability of any intention to offend.

His clumsy and weak apology after the tape came to light merely emphasises how sensible he was although given that the arguments came so readily to his many supporters, it is a surprise that he didn't also mention that it was a in the context of a joke and a nursery rhyme which as a 50 odd year old man he cannot help repeating, that any criticism only came from the PC brigade (it's important to use the word brigade as it implies a lack of individual thought) and mainly that he didn't actually say the word.
  • Options
    Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a kid in the 50s it was 'sit the baby on the po(no idea how you spell it), etc' . It was a PE teacher at Grammar School, where many of the kids came from the Doncaster environs, who introduced me to the other version. I remember thinking it a bit odd. Old salt of the earth everyone loved her Miss Music teacher had no problem with the english title of Petit negre which she would use in a variety of contexts - none, I think, malign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_Moth wrote: »
    The issue isn't whether Clarkson thinks his public persona is entertaining, he knows it is. It clearly entertains many people who are prepared to excuse him on the basis that his "schtick" is pushing the boundaries and if he sometimes oversteps and actually offends people e.g. the "slopes" incident then it's only proves that people are too easily offended. In any case it was a joke and these things must be taken in context.

Therefore there is no reason to condemn Clarkson for considering using the word n****r or something that sounded like it in a twice pre-recorded piece to camera. Indeed he should be praised for his good taste and sensitivity in deciding that it was not possible to broadcast the original version and leave enough plausible deniability of any intention to offend.

His clumsy and weak apology after the tape came to light merely emphasises how sensible he was although given that the arguments came so readily to his many supporters, it is a surprise that he didn't also mention that it was a in the context of a joke and a nursery rhyme which as a 50 odd year old man he cannot help repeating, that any criticism only came from the PC brigade (it's important to use the word brigade as it implies a lack of individual thought) and mainly that he didn't actually say the word.

Yeah, let's all give him credit fire being offensive.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey i didn't know about the David Lowe business. :o
    This is has all gone nuts now. What's the next 'naughty word' to be 'unmentionable'? :confused:

Life has become like constantly walking on eggshells. :(
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but this is a stupid statement. So what if he is different off screen than he is on? What he says it's still offensive.

Not to me it isn't.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    Top Gear has recently been filming at Castle Combe at an event known as "Jap Day" which apparently involves racing cars made in Japan. The mind boggles at the opportunities that will present to Clarkson to accidentally say something controversial.

Incidentally it was reported that Clarkson himself only drove a single lap of the track in a car and then disappeared so it will be interesting to see how it appears in the final version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to a post which was made in my thread about the N word, Clarkson has used the word several times before in books. If this is true - and I've no idea because I've not read the books listed - then it makes Clarkson a hypocritical liar to pretend he hates the use of the word.

The post in question can be seen here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    According to a post which was made in my thread about the N word, Clarkson has used the word several times before in books. If this is true - and I've no idea because I've not read the books listed - then it makes Clarkson a hypocritical liar to pretend he hates the use of the word.

I haven't read the books either, but if he did use the N word in his writing, surely it would be down to the context in which it was used. 'X is a dirty ******' versus '****** is an unacceptable word.' Simplistic, but you get the idea. How can you therefore say that he is a 'hypocritical liar' for using the word, if you haven't read the books and don't know exactly what was said?

It's all about context, context, CONTEXT. I don't know why people have so much trouble understanding it. It's not rocket science FFS.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Depends on the context of its use. I don't subscribe to this "N word" nonsense, where it becomes offensive to even write or say the word n*gger in all contextual use, as I'm sure you would agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I haven't read the books either, but if he did use the N word in his writing, surely it would be down to the context in which it was used. 'X is a dirty ******' versus '****** is an unacceptable word.' Simplistic, but you get the idea. How can you therefore say that he is a 'hypocritical liar' for using the word, if you haven't read the books and don't know exactly what was said?

It's all about context, context, CONTEXT. I don't know why people have so much trouble understanding it. It's not rocket science FFS.

Well, once, maybe. But why would he need to make the point that the N word is unacceptable four times ?

In any case, can you honestly see Clarkson making such an anti racist point in his books ? - seriously ? ;-)

Given his track record, I think not.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the context of its use. I don't subscribe to this "N word" nonsense, where it becomes offensive to even write or say the word n*gger in all contextual use, as I'm sure you would agree.

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, once, maybe. But why would he need to make the point that the N word is unacceptable four times ?

In any case, can you honestly see Clarkson making such an anti racist point in his books ? - seriously ? ;-)

Given his track record, I think not.

Ha! No. But you see what I'm saying. You simply can't make a judgement without considering the context.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

This is what strikes me as utterly bizarre about these incidents.

How have we managed to invest a single word with so much evil and offensiveness that the mere hearing or sight of it, regardless of context, is deemed so utterly abhorrent that the individual responsible, even indirectly, must be castigated / fired etc? It's only a word, for heaven's sake.

As someone who grew up in the 1970s, I don't remember the 'N word' (I mean FFS, how juvenile is that phrase?) being all that common anyway. It was much more common in America. Do we now have to import our taboo words from across the pond as well?

It's as if we've reinvented blasphemy for a secular age:

All I said was 'That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah'.

He said it again! You're only making it worse for yourself!

Of course it's an unacceptable word but does it really deserve all this hysteria that we attach to it?

The most bizarre thing of all is that it's OK for the people for whom it was an insult, to use the word freely. Somehow all the evil and offensiveness mysteriously disappears then. 'Oh my God. I've just seen the 'N word' in this book.:o. I'm traumatised. Oh wait, it's written by a black bloke so that's totally cool. Phew, close shave there'. :D
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    The thing I find bizarre is that a fair number of people who ordinarily, I assume, as they don't like the man, and frequently express the strangest and most vehement hatred of him, still take the time to watch, just so they can be offended, and form the net equivalent of a lynch mob. What's the matter? Clarkson more successful than you? Richer than you? Get a life for god's sake, don't waste it on him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    The thing I find bizarre is that a fair number of people who ordinarily, I assume, as they don't like the man, and frequently express the strangest and most vehement hatred of him, still take the time to watch, just so they can be offended, and form the net equivalent of a lynch mob. What's the matter? Clarkson more successful than you? Richer than you? Get a life for god's sake, don't waste it on him.

Yep, coz every hated person is richer; more successful; better looking etc, etc than those who hate them.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what strikes me as utterly bizarre about these incidents.

How have we managed to invest a single word with so much evil and offensiveness that the mere hearing or sight of it, regardless of context, is deemed so utterly abhorrent that the individual responsible, even indirectly, must be castigated / fired etc? It's only a word, for heaven's sake.

As someone who grew up in the 1970s, I don't remember the 'N word' (I mean FFS, how juvenile is that phrase?) being all that common anyway. It was much more common in America. Do we now have to import our taboo words from across the pond as well?

It's as if we've reinvented blasphemy for a secular age:

All I said was 'That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah'.

He said it again! You're only making it worse for yourself!

Of course it's an unacceptable word but does it really deserve all this hysteria that we attach to it?

The most bizarre thing of all is that it's OK for the people for whom it was an insult, to use the word freely. Somehow all the evil and offensiveness mysteriously disappears then. 'Oh my God. I've just seen the 'N word' in this book.:o. I'm traumatised. Oh wait, it's written by a black bloke so that's totally cool. Phew, close shave there'. :D

It's all about power, always has been always will be.

Constantly wrong foot people and they find it harder and harder to object to anything that is imposed on them.

People call people racist not because they give a brass monkey about whether they are, but it bestows a little bit more power from them to you.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Last posting on here yesterday at 1755hrs.

Then nothing until this at 0749hr.

What's the point?? :confused::confused::confused:
    Winding up people on one or other side of the debate from the looks of things. Given the subject matter this seems kind of appropriate.
    People call people racist not because they give a brass monkey about whether they are, but it bestows a little bit more power from them to you.
    Your perspective would probably change had you ever encountered racism in real life.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Your perspective would probably changed had you ever encountered racism in real life.

And you know that how exactly?