Steve Backshall and Ola Jordan Appreciation Thread

Comments

• nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we shall all have to watch between our fingers on Saturday night, shall we? :o:D

Welcome to my world!;-):D:D
  • CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Aw, nice message from Sunetra on twitter :):
    https://twitter.com/sarker/status/529604286419062784/photo/1

Love, love, LOVE his reply!!! :D:D:D
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to JayTee
    (The thousandth post :))

To the victor go the spoils -
    Steve going down to the bottom of a glacier! :o

https://a1-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/92/8cf52923f20f0922923a55b26adbf07b/full.jpg
  • nina99nina99 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! Mind if I join you? I joined DS several years ago but as you will see I have hardly posted at all. However, I have decided to finally come out of lurkdom in honour of Mr Backshall.

I've been an admirer of Steve's work (and of Steve) for a good few years although I didn't know much about him. I was as delighted as anyone when he joined Strictly but I have found it hard to watch him since I so don't want him to mess up! However, he has obviously worked very hard and I think he has shown tremendous guts in getting this far. It must have been mortifying last Saturday to have had a brain meltdown in front of millions of people but it was heartwarming, if not entirely surprising to see the way his growing support meant he could avoid the dance off even in a bad week.

I hope that get his confidence back and returns with a storming paso. It will be interesting to see him and Ola on ITT and whether they are still on friendly terms. Personally I think that Steve would like to go fairly soon - being cooped up for weeks on end in the studio must be torture for him and his ankle! However, i hope they can go out with a good dance and show that the Charleston was just a blip.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Congratulations to JayTee
    (The thousandth post :))

To the victor go the spoils -
    Steve going down to the bottom of a glacier! :o

https://a1-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/92/8cf52923f20f0922923a55b26adbf07b/full.jpg

Hurray!! I thought I was the 999th post but maths was never my strong point.

Hello, nina99. :)
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nina99 wrote: »
    Hi! Mind if I join you? I joined DS several years ago but as you will see I have hardly posted at all. However, I have decided to finally come out of lurkdom in honour of Mr Backshall.

I've been an admirer of Steve's work (and of Steve) for a good few years although I didn't know much about him. I was as delighted as anyone when he joined Strictly but I have found it hard to watch him since I so don't want him to mess up! However, he has obviously worked very hard and I think he has shown tremendous guts in getting this far. It must have been mortifying last Saturday to have had a brain meltdown in front of millions of people but it was heartwarming, if not entirely surprising to see the way his growing support meant he could avoid the dance off even in a bad week.

I hope that get his confidence back and returns with a storming paso. It will be interesting to see him and Ola on ITT and whether they are still on friendly terms. Personally I think that Steve would like to go fairly soon - being cooped up for weeks on end in the studio must be torture for him and his ankle! However, i hope they can go out with a good dance and show that the Charleston was just a blip.

Hello you! Welcome to the thread. He is rather engrossing, isn't he? :)

I kind of agree that he'll be relieved when it's all over and he can return to wearing the same ex-army gear day after day, climbing, wading through muck, and avoiding getting bitten etc but I bet it 's temperamentally impossible for him (and Ola) not to give everything they've got to stay in longer. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurray!! I thought I was the 999th post but maths was never my strong point.

Hello, nina99. :)

It shows differently on the main menu cos doesn't include the first post in the count, only the replies. But you are officially the 1000th post! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nina99 wrote: »

Hello Nina! :)

I know exactly what you mean about finding it difficult to watch someone you admire in case they mess up. It's definitely heart-in-the-mouth stuff! :o

Steve will be pining for the great outdoors etc. but I agree with Monkey that he'll try his hardest to go as far as he possibly can. He has great integrity and I believe everything hinges on the Paso this week. He'll be trying his best for himself and for Ola too. We know that he has great public support and so he should do well. :)
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll add my agreement that Steve and Ola are both people who go all out to achieve the most they can.
    Steve may be a bit less competitive with others (OK a lot less:D) than Ola, but the main thing is they will both give it 100% and Ola is very good at getting the most out of sports men.

As for forgetting the routine.

Its remembering a sequence, like remembering a sequence of cards. When they do it with cards, they use imaginary images to form the sequence to get the best results.
    So visual memory is important in remembering a sequence, but Steve and Ola only get one dress rehearsal.
    Maybe after they learn the routine using mirrors all week, they should finish the training facing the blank walls, just to help Steve's brain isolate the dance from the images in the mirrors, and make it easier to transfer the dance to any location?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    I'll add my agreement that Steve and Ola are both people who go all out to achieve the most they can.
    Steve may be a bit less competitive with others (OK a lot less:D) than Ola, but the main thing is they will both give it 100% and Ola is very good at getting the most out of sports men.

As for forgetting the routine.

Its remembering a sequence, like remembering a sequence of cards. When they do it with cards, they use imaginary images to form the sequence to get the best results.
    So visual memory is important in remembering a sequence, but Steve and Ola only get one dress rehearsal.
    Maybe after they learn the routine using mirrors all week, they should finish the training facing the blank walls, just to help Steve's brain isolate the dance from the images in the mirrors, and make it easier to transfer the dance to any location?

That's a brill point, your last para. Especially with side by side stuff where they've worked all week to mirror each other's actions, it must be disorientating suddenly not to be able to see it happening. Maybe they could solve Steve's cabin fever too by going somehere outdoors to finish off the training.

Oh, it did occur to me this evening after reading about Claudia's kid in that horrible accident... I wonder if that is part of the reason a lot of the couples were under par on Saturday?? Steve, Sunetra, Jake... It must have made a preoccupying weight on the mind to know that was happening.

Oi, now don't say I never give you anything. ;-) I just downloaded a shite magazine after following link from SB's twitter. Can someone check my link has worked please -- used Dropbox, which I've not used before in this exact way

Steve interview with Kristina. Think it was called Best magazine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    That's a brill point, your last para. Especially with side by side stuff where they've worked all week to mirror each other's actions, it must be disorientating suddenly not to be able to see it happening. Maybe they could solve Steve's cabin fever too by going somehere outdoors to finish off the training.

Oh, it did occur to me this evening after reading about Claudia's kid in that horrible accident... I wonder if that is part of the reason a lot of the couples were under par on Saturday?? Steve, Sunetra, Jake...

Oi, now don't say I never give you anything. ;-) I just downloaded a shite magazine after following link from SB's twitter. Can someone check my link has worked please -- used Dropbox, which I've not used before in this exact way

Steve interview with Kristina. Think it was called Best magazine

Yes, I've read it! :) He says he's a rubbish dancer but I truly don't think so. He just needs more polish sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I've read it! :) He says he's a rubbish dancer but I truly don't think so. He just needs more polish sometimes.

Ta! I love the polish a shit bit (or sprinkle it with sequins). Particularly I love the thought of beyoooootiful Kristina deciding whether or not to include it... :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here looks good too, if Ola owns a pair of wellies ;-)

Seriously I think Steve should dig his heels in here. Ola is entirely in her comfort zone with mirrors, rehearsal rooms, fake tans, sparkles. She could meet him somewhere in the middle...

maybe here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta! I love the polish a shit bit (or sprinkle it with sequins). Particularly I love the thought of beyoooootiful Kristina deciding whether or not to include it... :D:D

She may have substituted the 'poo' though. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but it's a bull he's supposed to be fighting, not a cow! ^_^^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another interview: Darcey this time
    A little Steve mention :cool: That is, a little mention of Steve. I didn't mean like 'little Anton' :o:o
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another interview: Darcey this time
    A little Steve mention :cool: That is, a little mention of Steve. I didn't mean like 'little Anton' :o:o

I want HER dress :o; She looks gorgeous :)
    YAY ; I love what she said about Steve :)
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Steve had retweeted a tweet about a study between ankle fusion and replacement with an artificial ankle joint.

So I had a look to see what the prospects are for getting a replacement artificial ankle after having had ankle fusion.
    Doesn't seem like a good option currently.

6. If I have an ankle joint fusion now, can my ankle be converted to an ankle joint replacement in the future?
    The short answer is, ‘yes’, in that it is technically possible, however it should be considered very carefully. If you are not experiencing pain at your ankle after a successful fusion, then conversion to an ankle replacement to obtain more ankle range of motion would not be recommended. On the other hand, if you have a painful ankle fusion with arthritis that has developed at other joints of the foot, then you might consider converting this to an ankle joint replacement. Conversion to an ankle replacement might also be considered in a patient whose ankle fusion has not healed, or has healed in the wrong position. However, you should proceed with caution when considering conversion of an ankle fusion to a replacement since it is an uncommon surgery that has increased complications and the results would not be expected to be as good as with a traditional ankle replacement.

7. How long can I expect my total ankle replacement to last?
    Recent studies have shown as high as 90% of total ankle replacements are still intact at 5 years after surgery. This number drops to about 80% at 8 years after surgery. Longevity of the ankle replacement seems to be better in those patients who have less deformity of their ankle going into the surgery. The biggest concern is that good information on the long term outcome of total ankle replacements is not yet available. While results at 5 and 8 years are encouraging, we really do not know what the results will be at 15 or 20 years after the operation. The best estimate is that most patients will likely need some type of revision procedure 10-15 years after the original surgery.
  • fawkesfawkes Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    So glad these two are still in, and would have really loved to see that Charleston performed as they did in rehearsals, I bet it was great! Poor Steve having a blank. Fingers crossed for this week :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their music is absolutely terrible for a paso. Kings of Leon Use Somebody :o

Not sure what can be done with that :cry:
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Their music is absolutely terrible for a paso. Kings of Leon Use Somebody :o

Not sure what can be done with that :cry:

I was just going to say the same thing. Massively disappointed. I think they've got by miles the worst song on the list as well (in terms of whether it suits the dance or not). :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just going to say the same thing. Massively disappointed. I think they've got by miles the worst song on the list as well (in terms of whether it suits the dance or not). :(

I don't know enough about that kind of music to judge if it's good or bad of its kind but it seems to me altogether too uneventful and placid for a paso. Dunno. We'll have to see what Ola can come up with to suggest highlights in the absence of any musical cues :D

Just thought as well that it may not be good music memory wise... Dry Bones, in my opinion, wasn't a bad choice for Charleston, a 1920s (1930s?) spiritual (I think), but it didn't have those big structural changes to help anchor memory. A bit repetitive. This song is also lacking in shape and that makes me a bit Eeep about Steve's potential to forget where he is again... :o

Worried monkeh!

But I trust 'em

ETA on the BBC site a few people think it's great music. I'm torn between thinking a grumpy 'What the ---?' and hoping they somehow know/see/hear something that I don't ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fawkes wrote: »
    So glad these two are still in, and would have really loved to see that Charleston performed as they did in rehearsals, I bet it was great! Poor Steve having a blank. Fingers crossed for this week :)

Hey fawkes... Worrying time of year for you!! :o

I'd love to see that Charleston for real too, minus skellingtons, minus forgetting... :cool: