Options

Sufjan Stevens - 'Carrie & Lowell'

Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone given it a listen yet? It's streaming on NPR this week.

Was initially not that fussed for it, as the first two songs he released from the record were not anything particularly interesting.

It's sounding good this morning though, particularly like the track 'Eugene'.

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't heard it yet. Preordered it on vinyl. So far I've liked everything he's done so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to get a ticket for his Edinburgh Festival show. Really excited for it!
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Played it a few times and it's beginning to sound like a keeper.

'Should Have Known Better' is stunning.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good album this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost universal acclaim for the album, so far. Seems like it'll top a number of end of year lists. Even the NME took time out from obsessing over the latest Arctic Monkeys clones to praise it :D
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost universal acclaim for the album, so far. Seems like it'll top a number of end of year lists. Even the NME took time out from obsessing over the latest Arctic Monkeys clones to praise it :D

I think it's a better album than 'Seven Swans' which is the only album in his discography you can compare it too musically. On a personal level I don't think he'll even top 'Illinois' (although I'd be very happy if he did manage too). It's interesting he's gone back to the folkier tones and banjo on this album, although that might be simply because it suits the sombre tone/mood, I liked 'Adz' - but with reservations, I think he just about pulled off the electronic sound, but wouldn't want him to take it any further (already lost The Arcade Fire to that).
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    fab album - very strong.
    It is up there with Illinois and Adz for me .....
    There have been some great albums released Jan - March of this year ... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I think it's a better album than 'Seven Swans' which is the only album in his discography you can compare it too musically. On a personal level I don't think he'll even top 'Illinois' (although I'd be very happy if he did manage too). It's interesting he's gone back to the folkier tones and banjo on this album, although that might be simply because it suits the sombre tone/mood, I liked 'Adz' - but with reservations, I think he just about pulled off the electronic sound, but wouldn't want him to take it any further (already lost The Arcade Fire to that).

Yeah, i felt the same way about Adz.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes next.
    fab album - very strong.
    It is up there with Illinois and Adz for me .....
    There have been some great albums released Jan - March of this year ... :)

Any in particular that have stood out above the rest?

I really liked the new Panda Bear record.