OZ CBS Action 7th April.

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
For anyone who hasn't seen this excellent HBO drama, it is being shown from the start on CBS Action on 7th April,

Expect the usual HBO gritty drama that doesn't pull its punches.

http://www.cbsaction.tv/uk/shows.php?title=Oz

Comments

• zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember it to be a brutal series.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already got it on series record

It's been on my list of shows to see for years. Nice to see CBS Action have picked something new up.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,904
    Forum Member
    Is CBS Action on Sky only?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is CBS Action on Sky only?

CBS Action - Sky 148 Virgin 192 Freeview 64 Freesat 137 ...
    Forum Member
    CBS Action - Sky 148 Virgin 192 Freeview 64 Freesat 137 ...

Cool. I've got Virgin and didn't even realise I had that channel.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oz, one of the bets shows ever on tv. Love it.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    I remember it to be a brutal series.

I only saw one episode as it was rather bleak and depressing, probably why it failed to get the acclaim of other HBO series at the time.
  • TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Great, if brutal, series. Whoever did the casting was pretty good. Tons of the cast went on to bigger and better things including an Oscar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i always spot someone from Oz in Law and Order!
    It was brutal but it was watchable and had some great characters. I was totally addicted to it.
    One of my all time fave shows.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of those shows that I want to watch because I've heard so many good things about it, but I've also heard that there are some rather graphic scenes that might put me off watching it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of those shows that I want to watch because I've heard so many good things about it, but I've also heard that there are some rather graphic scenes that might put me off watching it!

Well it was made by HBO and showed an honest and brutal look into a men's prison, so i wouldn't of expected any less. There are rapes, sex scenes and murders.
    Forum Member

It is very violent, but only up there with Game of Thrones and Sons of Anarchy.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oz is a masterpiece and an often overlooked forerunner of many of more fêted US shows. As others have said, it was also a platform for actors who have gone onto many high profile roles.

The violence is pretty strong - but it's very much in the show's DNA and is never glamourised. There's a lot of male nudity, as well …

Ground-breaking in so many ways and definitely worth watching - even though it's not easy viewing.

It's great that it's being aired on a channel that most people can see … but I'm baffled: Sky has an exclusive deal with HBO, and all of their shows air on Sky Atlantic - so why on earth did they reject Oz?

:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Oz is a masterpiece and an often overlooked forerunner of many of more fêted US shows. As others have said, it was also a platform for actors who have gone onto many high profile roles.

The violence is pretty strong - but it's very much in the show's DNA and is never glamourised. There's a lot of male nudity, as well …

Ground-breaking in so many ways and definitely worth watching - even though it's not easy viewing.

It's great that it's being aired on a channel that most people can see … but I'm baffled: Sky has an exclusive deal with HBO, and all of their shows air on Sky Atlantic - so why on earth did they reject Oz?

:confused:

Sky Atlantic did not reject Oz. It is just because the show is not entirely owned by HBO

HBO own the US rights to the show, but CBS own the international rights so that means the show missed out as apart of the huge HBO package that Sky Atlantic purchased. That is why Oz, and also Deadwood do not air on Sky atlantic, but air on CBS action.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oz is amazing. I only watched it all 2 years ago but I really recommend it - if you don't mind a lot of violence!
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Is this going to be shown uncensored? It is quite, er, explicit.

When Channel 4 broadcast it, it was on around 11.30 at night.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a reminder for anyone thinking of watching this tonight.
    Great show. One of the very best American series.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Was just coming to post this :D

Although it looks a bit dated now, this is still an amazing series. About time it was repeated.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just as good as I remember.
  • pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Oz hadn't aged well when I watched it for the first time 2 or 3 years ago. However it's a good 'gateway series' for the newer and better HBO offerings. Also as others have said, it's good to see some great actors in their breakthrough roles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gets better as it goes on, I think series 4 was my fave.
    I can't wait to see Keller and Beecher together again!
    Forum Member
    pubey wrote: »
    Oz hadn't aged well when I watched it for the first time 2 or 3 years ago. However it's a good 'gateway series' for the newer and better HBO offerings. Also as others have said, it's good to see some great actors in their breakthrough roles.

Yes I agree it hasn't aged well, but it was a forerunner to many of the great tv series. I think without Oz we wouldn't have had a lot of shows.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My new catchphrase from now on is going to be "your ass is mine now" :D

The great thing about watching Oz is playing spot the actor...

There's the guy(s) from Lost, there's her from Dexter, there's him out of Ghostbusters, there's her from The Sopranos, there's the guy from 30 Rock etc..
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^exactly, and soon when watching other shows you'll be thinking "hey that guy was in OZ and I've seen his dangy bits" :blush:
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't get over kind Mr Echo from Lost being played by the same actor who played horrible Adebisi!!!

Beecher is my favourite - he goes on such a journey and is deep down a good guy really.