Options

USB stick for Sharp TV

Hi
A question of you, I have a Sharp LC32DH77E LCD TV and have attempted to use the USB port to view photos or play MP3`s thru said TV, the USB stick is recognised but attempting to select the Icons displayed results in the TV "saying" the device is not connected !, I am using a 8GB stick formatted with the FAT32 file system that the manual advises, a clean format of the stick etc has not made any difference, as advised by Sharp tech support ( 0870 # !!! ), so before I call them back I was just wondering if anyone has had success in using this TV`s USB port ? and with what flavor USB stick ?

Regards Alan

Comments

• Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    USB Memory info....slightly off topic but maybe of interest.

I use Sandisk microSD cards with USB adaptor. 2Gb, 4GB and 8GB.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-8GB-Mobile-Ultra-MicroSD/dp/B0019O351C/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2
    The cards also fit in an SD adaptor. So useful in cameras, digital photoframes, games consoles etc???

I use these because my SGH-G600 mobile phone takes the cards (up to 2GB)
    Took ages to find that 2GB was the maximum. No review or tech spec mentioned it.
    Till I found one that did.

Tried it with 4GB anyway. If the phone formats it, it becomes 1.4GB, full read/write.
    (2GB formats to 2GB, "go figure" as they say across the pond)

If I format it back to 4GB on my PC (FAT32) it seems to become read only on the phone.
    So I suppose I could use it as an MP3 with 4GB of MP3s but would not be able to save camera pictures/vids till I changed the card. (Could use the internal memory of 50MB for short term saving).

Also, I have 6 USB ports on my tower PC. 1 on front, 1 on external DVD writer, 4 on back.
    One of my memory cards, only when plugged in the front panel, triggers a Windows error message that it is faulty. It works in all the other ports.
    All the other cards (I have 5) work in the front panel USB port.

I have a SAGEM PVR too but have never messed with its USB.
    See the SAGEM forum in the PVR/DTT part of this site.
    Plenty of USB problems discussed. I think their conclusion was that the PVR firmware was at fault. And we cant download an update and plug it in. Have to wait for a digital broadcast. And that doesnt seem to happen either.

Have fun.

Conclusion: Are you sure 8GB is supported? Can telly format it, not PC? Try another stick/card. Make sure pictures in .jpg format?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Hi Sir Robin

Many thanks for the info you wrote, no the TV is incapable of formatting the stick, it just reads it, but you have put me on the scent as it were, I have been thinking that maybe the stick capacity is the key, Sherlock will be put on the case !! all the operating Manual says about these USB sticks is that not all are supported, and what they mean by that is anyones guess, but no mention of what "size" sticks are or are not supported which really does not help any purchaser, ok and understood regarding your other info for which I thank you, will let you know what transpires, what did shakespeare say on this subject ?

......2 gig or 4 gig, that is the question ...;-)

Kindest Regards
    Alan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Robin of Loxley

All sorted, I took a chance and kinda split the capacity, I touched base with the local computer store and purchased a 4Gig stick with the understanding that I could take it back and swop it out for a 2GB which I discovered worked, by borrowing one .. I suppose I could risk a 6Gb one, but if it works then dont buy another one ;-)

Again many thanks for placing me in the right direction..any ideas on a region free surround sound system ;-)..

Alan
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Alan. I am Ian. Not Sir or RobinofLoxley really.
    I cruise these forums cos I am fed up playing on-line games.
    And I learn stuff too and like helping.

Glad my limited knowledge was of help.

Wouldnt recommend 6GB. Stick to 2 ,4 ,8GB.
    2GBs under a fiver from amazon (1-2 day delivery). Tescos have them (next to the mobile phones) but a few quid more.

No ideas on DVD regions. That's a whole different ball game you will have to Google.
    Or see another forum on this site.
    And if you want any pirate videos watch out for viruses.
    ie dont do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Ian

I was being,,whats the word facetious ?? anyways Robinof loxley sounds better, but again thanks for all the info, I will be doing the honors today and find a cheap one, tho in saying that the internet beckons ;-)

Kindest regards

Alan