Options

Citroen Xsara Picasso 54-plate

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
Forum Member
Hi

I am looking at 2nd hand xsara picasso (54-plate, 62k miles) for £2.5k.

Has anyone else got a xsara picasso? Are they good to drive? Good points? Bad points?

Does the price seem like a good deal?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Maleko64 wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone else got a xsara picasso? Are they good to drive? Good points? Bad points?

Thanks for any help!

Hi I am a mechanic by trade.

I would say good points are they are practical and quite economical.

However they are french!..Nortrously unreliable cars as they aren't famed for their electrical wizardry!...and I see a lot of citroens in my line of work,

I would suggest a Vauxhall Zafria or Ford C-Max
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ray Jar80 wrote: »
    Hi I am a mechanic by trade.

I would say good points are they are practical and quite economical.

However they are french!..Nortrously unreliable cars as they aren't famed for their electrical wizardry!...and I see a lot of citroens in my line of work,

I would suggest a Vauxhall Zafria or Ford C-Max

Thanks.

My budget is limited to 3k and i haven't seen many Zafira or CMax around me (Suffolk).
    Whats the main issue you get with the xsaras?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I'd suggest a Nissan Almera Tino as an alternative as well. Just bought one myself and is an excellent car and Nissan's are renowned for reliability. Not quite as big as a Picasso but still plenty of room in the back seats and a huge boot as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

My budget is limited to 3k and i haven't seen many Zafira or CMax around me (Suffolk).

Mainly electrical failures..like main CPU failing..and not great on cold starts.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest a Nissan Almera Tino as an alternative as well. Just bought one myself and is an excellent car and Nissan's are renowned for reliability. Not quite as big as a Picasso but still plenty of room in the back seats and a huge boot as well.

I got one of these, I like the plane-style folding tables you get at the back, shame they stopped making these cars.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

You need to have a wider search area than that when looking for a second hand car.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard it said that when you own a Citroen, or any French car for that matter, you get on first name terms with the local mechanic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    You need to have a wider search area than that when looking for a second hand car.

I been looking all around for all types but my budget is limited to 3k. We've currently got a T-reg megane scenic which is very much on its last legs.

We like to keep to a similar size car. I've seen plenty of scenics, xsara picassos around so wanted advice on the picasso as we've not driven a citroen before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I been looking all around for all types but my budget is limited to 3k. We've currently got a T-reg megane scenic which is very much on its last legs.

We like to keep to a similar size car. I've seen plenty of scenics, xsara picassos around so wanted advice on the picasso as we've not driven a citroen before.

Just avoid the French ones..theres plenty of other choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ray Jar80 wrote: »
    Just avoid the French ones..theres plenty of other choice.

are they really that bad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    are they really that bad?

They arent awful but out of all the makes they arent the most reliable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Fiat's are from Italy so don't buy one of them, my friends Fiesta broke down so stay away from Ford, and don't buy Vauxhalls either because my Gran's Corsa needed the CV joints replacing...

All cars have problems, wherever they are from. I can't see any point in not buying a car because you think the brand is from an unreliable country, anything could happen to any make of car. I like the Xsara Picasso's, you see countless amounts of them every day so they obviously have plenty of appeal. Inside is a bit mundane on the older models though. But if I hadn't decided on buying a new car, the Xsara Picasso was one of the cars I was thinking about (since I can't afford the new model C4 Picasso!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Fiat's are from Italy so don't buy one of them, my friends Fiesta broke down so stay away from Ford, and don't buy Vauxhalls either because my Gran's Corsa needed the CV joints replacing...

All cars have problems, wherever they are from. I can't see any point in not buying a car because you think the brand is from an unreliable country, anything could happen to any make of car. I like the Xsara Picasso's, you see countless amounts of them every day so they obviously have plenty of appeal. Inside is a bit mundane on the older models though. But if I hadn't decided on buying a new car, the Xsara Picasso was one of the cars I was thinking about (since I can't afford the new model C4 Picasso!).

That is true...but I am just talking from my experiences as a mechanic.I see a lot more french cars with general electrical faults than others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Ray Jar80, would you mind if I pick your brains slightly then?

We bought an 04 Picasso recently and often when we start it, it says 'engine fault' and it won't accelerate properly, meaning it sometimes needs quite a few attempts to start it. Is this common, and if so is it a big deal to fix or something small that can be sorted quickly and cheaply?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OTD wrote: »

We bought an 04 Picasso recently and often when we start it, it says 'engine fault' and it won't accelerate properly, meaning it sometimes needs quite a few attempts to start it. Is this common, and if so is it a big deal to fix or something small that can be sorted quickly and cheaply?

It sounds like for some reason it is in safe mode and may just need the main CPU in it resetting which can be done by most dealers.Probably wont cost more than about £30 to reset the computer on it OR it could be starter motor which you are looking at 100-200 depending on the severity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Thank you, will let husband know:)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just make sure it has a service history, ive had a few frenchies, some high mileage etc..as long as they are maintained

some ppl buy these cars, go cheap and get their mate to change the oil...

picassos a good little car, britians no 1mpv for a long time

i got a vectra now, thats been pretty good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just make sure it has a service history, ive had a few frenchies, some high mileage etc..as long as they are maintained

some ppl buy these cars, go cheap and get their mate to change the oil...

picassos a good little car, britians no 1mpv for a long time

i got a vectra now, thats been pretty good

so far i've only seen it on the dealers website, but 62000 miles for a 54 plate seems good mileage and after looking round at other sites the price seems pretty good as well.

Always go to a local garage for servicing etc (very pleased with service they offer!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so far i've only seen it on the dealers website, but 62000 miles for a 54 plate seems good mileage and after looking round at other sites the price seems pretty good as well.

Always go to a local garage for servicing etc (very pleased with service they offer!)

make sure the cam belts been changed that mileage and a service every 12 months,,,

i worked at a citroen dealership for about 8 years, went to the picasso launch...sold bucketloads of them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member

That works out that it's done an average of around 170 miles a week since new as a rough idea. Is it a 1.6L engine model?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avoid the 1.6 like the plague, very underpowered

2.0 hdi d is the one to get..
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Thanks for any help!

Don't know about the price, but these are usually a very good car....better if it's diesel at that mileage, it will have lots of life left in it.

It's true that French cars have a reputation for silly electrics, but it's not a big deal.

I own 2 Peugeots and look after a large fleet of Nissan/Renault vans which haven't given any trouble so far, previously I looked after a fleet of Peugeot vans with few problems.

BTW, the Nissan Almera Tino is a Renault Megane Scenic with Nissan bits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Don't know about the price, but these are usually a very good car....better if it's diesel at that mileage, it will have lots of life left in it.

It's true that French cars have a reputation for silly electrics, but it's not a big deal.

I own 2 Peugeots and look after a large fleet of Nissan/Renault vans which haven't given any trouble so far, previously I looked after a fleet of Peugeot vans with few problems.

BTW, the Nissan Almera Tino is a Renault Megane Scenic with Nissan bits.

that is correct, so any primera drivers out there after 51 plate..

your driving a laguna..

which isnt a bad thing..

ive had 3
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OTD wrote: »

Sorry to butt in, but if this a petrol model then you may have an injector fault....very common on Citroen/Peugeot petrol engines.

Did the orange light with a picture of an engine light up?

The ECU can be reset by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, but I wouldn't expect it needs that, you must know your radio code before disconnecting the battery or it won't work afterwards.

I think you need a diagnostic check.

I own a small car repair business btw.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    i used to have an 04 plate picasso and thought it was a lovely car, plenty of room and had it for 2.5yrs and never had a problem with it all. if its got a FSH and decent mileage, i say go for it.