Is the council right to demand that ivy removed from front of house ?

124»

Comments

• Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    humdrummer wrote: »

I bet in summer, every time they turn a room light on there is one loud collective thud on the window as a million moths converge all at once.

:D *shudder* :D
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a house a bit like that near here.

However, it's a thatched cottage, in the middle of nowhere and they do keep the windows clear. It looks amazing TBH, like something from a fairy tale.

So that's the answer. Want to behave like a hermit/witch from Grimm, move somewhere where it doesn't affect other people.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D *shudder* :D

You'd have to change your username, "aarghamoth".:D
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Hee! :D
  • katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its his house to do as he likes with. the council are out of order. i hope he doesnt pay the fine.
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks awful.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    katywil wrote: »
    its his house to do as he likes with. the council are out of order. i hope he doesnt pay the fine.

You might own the house but you still follow rules and law, If he does not pay he will be sent to prison, just like anyone else who does not pay the fine.I have noticed alot of councils getting alot harder on houses that owners have abandoned. I was amazed that there are thousands of houses that have not been lived in for over 10 years all around the country. And councils are now CP them
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I were that bloke I'd say "OK, I'll remove the ivy, but only if you lot remove your scabby, mucky, tasteless nets". But seriously, if you lived next door and put your house on the market, yet couldn't sell it because prospective buyers were put off living next door/near this house, then it is a community issue. As another poster said, if I lived next door to someone who treated there front garden like a dumping ground with old mattresses/sofas festering out front, then I would also try and do something about it. So somebody may own a property, but that doesn't give them carte blanche to do what the hell they like, unless they live in a remote mountain somewhere.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    It is if its a conservation area, listed building or if there are any restrictions or covenants in the deeds.

I'm not sure 60s identikit houses get listed very often.....