Which Band Aid is better? (apart from the original)

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Poll :)

Which Band Aid group is the best? 48 votes

Band Aid II
41% 20 votes
Band Aid 20
41% 20 votes
Band Aid 30
16% 8 votes

Comments

• RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well nothing will beat the original, but I actually think Band Aid 30. I seen the critical thread about it, I don't get it! Wikipedia says (OK not the most reliable source) said the reviews for it were positive to mixed (and that DS were the most critical), whilst on Band Aid 20 it said mixed reviews; so that's a good sign! I think it is very good. Good wide range of artists (new and old, genre to genre) (well apart from One Direction but that was inevitable they would be in it), I love how the bells from the original are back too. This version sounds the most like the original. I understand why people may be offended by the change in lyrics, but I think Geldoff did a good job in those; it fits in with today (doesn't it?). And I don't listen to that many mainstream artists but I keep up to date with them. I think it's deffo better than Band Aid 20 anyway, mainly because Dizzie Rascal isn't rapping in it lol.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    I personally prefer BA20 but I was 13 when it was released and a few of the people I liked at the time were involved so that probably clouds my judgement.

Apart from Paloma Faith and Sam Smith, I don't really like anybody else involved. And I dislike the new lyrics. I understand why they did it but I like BA20 lyrics (not sure if they are the same as the original) more
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Band Aid 20.

I don't like the new lyrics or the fact that some are impossible to make out (looking at you Ellie Goulding). I also think Sam Smith kills the vibe -I have nothing against him but I don't think his voice worked with the others. Also I just think it sounds like a misery fest compared to other versions, I was going to say the bells are gone but someone else already said they're there...unless theyre used at different times.

Band Aid 20 obviously had problems. The "feed the world" became more and more tuneless as they went on, and obviously the rap.

Band Aid II was a mess because it seemed they made no attempt to harmonise with eachother - much like they just sang their lines with no consideration for the song as a whole. I'd say Ellie Goulding is guilty of the same in 30..

I'm not a fan of the song anyway but the original is miles ahead of the covers, perhaps because they didn't have the same sense of "look at me singing for band aid" because it wasn't a 'thing' back then. It seemed more sincere, everyone worked well together. But if I had to choose a favourite of the others, it would be 20.
  • OrnsackOrnsack Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Band Aid 20 just reminds me of a time when British music was a bit flat. Watching the video is a bit "Who's that? What happened to them?".

It seems crazy to me how famous so many people from the first one still are 30 years on.

I'm intrigued to see who will still be around from Band Aid 30 in 10 years time.

As for Band Aid II, I feel like most people don't even realise it exists these days. I wish there was a Band Aid 10, that might have been fun.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Band Aid 2 was the best one apart from the original. The one 10 years ago was appalling. It completely changed the structure of the song and had that bloody awful Dizzee Rascal rap as well. The new one is a masterpiece compared to that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked Band Aid 20 as it was a serious and IMO successful attempt to do something different with the original, unlike Band Aid 30 which is a dreadfully lifeless version, and I don't know three quarters of the people on it! Band Aid II was just an absolute disgrace.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing beats the original IMO, but of the other three, I prefer Band Aid II.

I know that it gets slated now, but people forget that in '89, SAW were massive so they were the obvious choice to get involved. I don't think many people realise that it was Bob Geldof who asked Pete Waterman to do it. PW didn't do it off his own bat IYSWIM.
    IIRC BG got in touch with PW on a Friday to ask him to get involved, so PW cancelled his wedding (the day after) to do it.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    It took me a long time to like Ellie Goulding's music because I couldn't get passed her voice. I don't mind her voice in small doses now, but she really does sound awful on the new Band Aid, sadly. I couldn't work out a word that she was singing.

Band Aid 30 on the whole isn't great. I don't like it at all. Why not write an entirely new song rather than change a couple of lines?