How do you like your steak?

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stopped eating most meat decade or so ago but remember having a nice T-Bone, well done, couldn't imagine eating a soggy steak even when I eat meat.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Stopped eating most meat decade or so ago but remember having a nice T-Bone, well done, couldn't imagine eating a soggy steak even when I eat meat.

What do you mean by a 'soggy' steak?
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Well done, but I can suffer medium well as long as it's not too pink. I'm just not a fan of eating meat that still has blood dripping from it.

Its not blood.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I want my meat burned like Saint Joan. Bring me Calvin's mustards and vicious horseradish to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's lancers."
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    My preference is rare, but as someone else mentioned, a lot of places can't get it right so I will accept medium rare.

Again, no sauces either - I want to be able to taste the meat unadulterated.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    always Medium rare

My Sis has always had hers Well done
    but the last time we had steaks she tried mine and decided that in future
    - she could also have it cooked - medium rare -
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I actually prefer medium well, but places tend to overcook rather than undercook steak so i if you ask for that you often get well done. So i ask for medium normally and then send it back for some more cooking if its not done enough. Normally its fine though.

I know your meant to like it all raw n wobbly inside, but i just prefer it cooked through with a bit of pink in the middle.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I actually prefer medium well, but places tend to overcook rather than undercook steak so i if you ask for that you often get well done. So i ask for medium normally and then send it back for some more cooking if its not done enough. Normally its fine though.
    If I were a chef and cooked you a genuinely medium steak (that you asked for), it would fair piss me off if you sent it back because you actually wanted medium-well.

In fact, I vaguely recall a programme where Gordon Ramsay just about threw the food back at the waiter because a customer did just that.
  • jinks420jinks420 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Has to be Blue Rare.:)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Whole cuts of meat only have bacteria on the outside so as long as the outside is cooked then they are perfectly safe to eat.

I don't think that is true with pork for example, but yes it is for beef.

Or were you just talking about beef/steak?
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean by a 'soggy' steak?

A turn of phrase, having never felt tempted to try a rare one. Might recall an image of one with blood dripping out of it, they were probably making a point though. :)
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I don't think that is true with pork for example, but yes it is for beef.

Or were you just talking about beef/steak?

No, it's true with pork, it's perfectly fine to eat pork pink in the middle. The problem with pork was trichinosis which is pretty much no longer a problem. I'll happily tuck into a nice, good quality bit of pork fillet which is lovely and pink and juicy.
    stvn758 wrote: »
    A turn of phrase, having never felt tempted to try a rare one. Might recall an image of one with blood dripping out of it, they were probably making a point though. :)

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

:D

I know, right? Why do people always refer to 'blood'? Do they really not know what blood looks like?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    :D

I know, right? Why do people always refer to 'blood'? Do they really not know what blood looks like?

Also, why do they never take any notice of the numerous posts already in the thread saying "It's not blood"?

It's the same with any sushi thread, there's always a bunch of people who pipe up with "I don't like raw fish".
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Also, why do they never take any notice of the numerous posts already in the thread saying "It's not blood"?

It's the same with any sushi thread, there's always a bunch of people who pipe up with "I don't like raw fish".

I suppose it's the hyperbole factor. After all, 'Ewww, how can you eat something that's dripping with myoglobin' doesn't have the same drama-queen effect as 'Ewww, BLOOD!'
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    No, it's true with pork, it's perfectly fine to eat pork pink in the middle. The problem with pork was trichinosis which is pretty much no longer a problem. I'll happily tuck into a nice, good quality bit of pork fillet which is lovely and pink and juicy.
    I wouldn't go that far.
    Food Unwrapped covered pink pork in an episode and a guy nearly died because he was infected from eating pink pork. The doctor in charge of his treatment certainly wouldn't say it's perfectly fine, nor would the guy who nearly died.
    https://www.food.gov.uk/science/microbiology/hepatitis-e
    Consumers should continue to follow FSA cooking advice which is that all whole cuts of pork, pork products and offal should be thoroughly cooked until steaming hot throughout, the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
    Possibly in general if you know you have good quality pork and are happy with the person cooking it then you would be ok.
    Ok, it's a long shot getting Hep E from a pork chop but i'm just passing on the info.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far.
    Food Unwrapped covered pink pork in an episode and a guy nearly died because he was infected from eating pink pork. The doctor in charge of his treatment certainly wouldn't say it's perfectly fine, nor would the guy who nearly died.
    https://www.food.gov.uk/science/microbiology/hepatitis-e

Possibly in general if you know you have good quality pork and are happy with the person cooking it then you would be ok.
    Ok, it's a long shot getting Hep E from a pork chop but i'm just passing on the info.

I wasn't aware of the hepatitis E. I do only eat pink pork if I know it's decent quality, I'll probably still continue to do so.
    Forum Member
    I always eat pink pork, like a lot of these things it's safe as long as its from a trusted source.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wipe its arse, cut off the horns, walk it past a candle and serve

Gotta go with this for steak. No other way to have it.

But I'm a bit weird with pork; I'm not that keen on it anyway, but if it is served to me I want it cooked through all the way. But then it is generally a bit dry (unless one knows what one is doing) so requires a bit of sauce to help it down.

But each to their own:)
  • petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, as several other people have said- cut the horns off, wipe it's arse and march it through!

Plenty black pepper and a squeeze of lemon if I'm feeling frisky!
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Medium. Used to have it medium rare but after a few steaks that were almost blue I stick to medium now. If it's a good cut it is still super moist and juicy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Medium rare and rested. Well seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. No sauce . Rib-eye is my favourite cut at the moment .
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't "well-seasoned" make the steak taste salty? I tried it once and it spoilt the taste. Is it that some people like a lot of salt in their food, or was I doing it wrong? I use salt in boiled potatoes, and stew, but not with most other food.
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Doesn't "well-seasoned" make the steak taste salty? I tried it once and it spoilt the taste. Is it that some people like a lot of salt in their food, or was I doing it wrong? I use salt in boiled potatoes, and stew, but not with most other food.

Depends on personal taste but there is a reason why 99.99999% of chefs season nearly all food.
  • Drift AwayDrift Away Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I don't like steak at all. The texture is horrible regardless of how it is cooked. I seem to be the only person who thinks this though . All the people I know love the stuff with mushrooms or chips.