Options

Were these the Best 10 out of 28,000 candidates

PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
Forum Member
✭✭
I just cannot believe this 10 were the best out of 28.000. Apart from Zoe and to a lesser extent Tim the rest have zero personalities. How that Kirsty survives week after week beats me . She was so insulting to those artists and lost them that task. It really was Tim against the other team.

I would love if the BBC would devote one show to see how they whittled down 28,000 to 10.

Comments

• Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I don't know how you can say that Arjun has zero abilites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd echo parthy's reply for Kirsty as well. Apart from one mistake which possibly Emma could also have made (as well as those that have gone), she's done well. Stepped up when she's seen the need to and correctly read most situations.

I think the short run of six episodes is unfair to them. Unlike the Apprentice proper, most of them have very little practical experience of working for real. So they haven't the variety of skills including people skills that would stop them making silly mistakes. Which is what the program makers are hoping for.

Kirsty apparently works in her parents' restaurant. You'd think front of house so will have some customer experience, which showed Ep1. With the artist she failed to recognise that he was a customer with a choice and not a supplier or wholesaler. But she'd never been in that situation before.

Arjun has had the advantage of being teamed with Zoe. Plenty of opportunity to roll eyes and dialogue with the most talkative candidate.
  • Options
    rickead2000rickead2000 Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What gets me is that "Jordan De Courcy" got through. He claimed he was a successful businessman!!!!!!!!

Running a simple online shop is far from it. The BBC is encouraging total idiots into thinking they are businessmen. Being young is a valid excuse for certain decisions, choosing your "cheapest" cheese (which was a cheddar!!!) as the taster is an unforgivable mistake and shows total incompetence even a "best business mind" in the 10 year old category would have known what to do with it.

The BBC have made themselves look like total and utter idiots
    they claim what we are watching is the "best young business brains". I've interviewed better candidates this week for a minimum wage secretarial Job!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The BBC have made themselves look like total and utter idiots
    they claim what we are watching is the "best young business brains". I've interviewed better candidates this week for a minimum wage secretarial Job!!!

Yes I do agree about Jordan but not quite so harshly.

In what way are your candidates better? What sets these candidates apart is an interest (and for the winner) the drive to start their own business. If those you are employing for lowly jobs on minimum wage are like that, they'll quite rightly be off soon and you'll have the expense of getting some more in. Or maybe they will stay because they haven't the ambition, drive, confidence or learning ability to move much further on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    parthy wrote: »

Me neither, I have a feeling that he'll be in the final week. He's got good academic skills, seems to have a pretty good business head and this week proved that he's not a bad salesman either.

Lord Sugar said himself that they're not looking for the "full package", it'd be foolish to think you'd get that from 16/17 year olds.Did you really expect Jr. Sugar right from the start? The whole point of this series is to give young people a chance to kick start their business careers and to give them good business foundations to build on.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parthy wrote: »

I did not mention abilities.

Of course being young they're not fully formed individuals yet but I was maybe expecting too much when I heard this 10 were chosen from 28,000.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been pleasantly surprised.

They're no worse than the 'senior' Apprentice candidates.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »
    I did not mention abilities.

Of course being young they're not fully formed individuals yet but I was maybe expecting too much when I heard this 10 were chosen from 28,000.

My apologies.

But I would also disagree that they have no personalities.
  • Options
    Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    I think they're all really impressive for their age, more in confidence than anything else.

My friend applied and she got through the first couple of rounds but then they cut her. I'll try not to be bias but I think she'd have been very good, she's got the confidence to sell and talk to anyone but isn't at all arrogant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreamer27 wrote: »
    I think they're all really impressive for their age, more in confidence than anything else.

My friend applied and she got through the first couple of rounds but then they cut her. I'll try not to be bias but I think she'd have been very good, she's got the confidence to sell and talk to anyone but isn't at all arrogant.

this is the way it seems. Misplaced confidence trumps competence every time.