RTD influenced by BSG?

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    I can't believe no one else spotted this complete and utter lie!

Combined with an inablility to actually call the series by its title does show Mr (or Ms) Fan up for what they are.

I can - most of us wouldn't have a clue what is or isn't on Blue Peter.
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    I can - most of us wouldn't have a clue what is or isn't on Blue Peter.

You don't need to know what is or isn't on Blue Peter to know that RTD wasn't on a children's show promoting a post-watershed series for adults.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need to know what is or isn't on Blue Peter to know that RTD wasn't on a children's show promoting a post-watershed series for adults.
    It seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    It seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Well it didn't, which is kind of the point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe no one else spotted this complete and utter lie!

Combined with an inablility to actually call the series by its title does show Mr (or Ms) Fan up for what they are.

I did, but restrained myself from saying anything, as like I said, I have come across some very scary views from that particular poster....so don't want to waste my time....but out of interest, and after reading the script that Histeria kindly posted, I did go and search for the Emmy award winning arc, but unless I was looking in the wrong places, I couldn't find anything....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol. Well I haven't been around as much as I used to so will have missed a lot of threads and posts.
    But I'll keep my eye out for you and try to take part in any discussions you have on the perhaps less obvious subtexts which lie just underneath the surface stories.

It's funny you should mention 'Love and Monsters', because although I agree with many that although it probably wasn't the best executed of stories, possibly due to the woeful attempts at comedy, that was actually a pretty rich story with lots going on underneath.
    I did try to talk about some of those things at the time, but like you nobody listened to me either.:D

i would class the Absorbaloff into that, but even then, as I see it as a joke on the monster that is fandom, I find it quite apt;)....plus it was made by a kid.....
    But I'm guessing that you are also including that scooby-doo chase scene at the beginning, must say, I love that, mainly because I see it as it is, from the eyes of Elton, and him describing that scene to the camera....I can imagine him saying "the doctor went this way, Rose went that way, next thing I know Rose was chasing the monster...." and so on....because a moment before Elton roars to the camera to describe the roar of the monster when he opend the door...brilliant....either that....or I have a bad sense of humour!:o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    ... and after reading the script that Histeria kindly posted, I did go and search for the Emmy award winning arc, but unless I was looking in the wrong places, I couldn't find anything....
    Yup. Just googled it. That arc was nominated for four (Directing (drama), Writing (drama), Sound and SFX) but went home empty handed.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Launch Fan wrote: »
    Can we discuss the post that opens this topic and not debate how viable it is to search a user's previous posts? (way too much spare time on someone's hands!) Honestly, kids! :D

Complaining when someone doesn't like TouchWood is not a valid argument to subject of the thread.

I would be interested in hearing from people who think the opposite as I did by posting video examples.

Maybe we can find script writting examples from Russell and Ron D Moore - that'd be fun!

I don't think that posting space battle scenes from BSG really do the show justice if you're trying to demonstrate examples of great scriptwriting.

I tend to not be that keen on RTD's episodes. But it's usually because his episodes as a whole aren't of a style of my liking, that the main central stories tend to seem quite basic and run of the mill compared to most good sci-fi that I do like, and that I feel that that the production and style seems too corny, or overly sentimental, or at least that they seem to feature corny and mawkish elements over too many of his stories as though it's a formula to fall back on.

But if you're challenging RTD fans to demonstrate good scriptwriting by him then I think you're setting yourself up for a fall.
    Even in the episodes I think are bad, there are going to be parts of that episode which demonstrate writing which blows those BSG clips you just showed out of the water.

From the top of my head I can think of scenes from series one with Christopher Eccleston where some of RTD's writing is very good indeed. And I mean even in episodes which weren't necessarily my cup of tea.

I think you're going to find yourself having problems with this little challenge you've set up for yourself and RTD fans here.
    I can't say for sure whether you will be successful in this challenge of yours, but I will say good luck and I wish you my deepest condolences.:D