Premature, yes, but...can anyone foresee any future showrunner in the making...?

GaaaVINGaaaVIN Posts: 74
Forum Member
Been thinking about this one. Initially thought Mark Gatiss, though his last episode fell below par with a nice idea being rushed to shoehorn in a Dalek redesign. Although not a fan of Being Human, Toby Whitehouse has demonstrated his ability to nurture original genre drama with a nod to the macabre, and after tonight's very fine episode, maybe he is a name to look out for in the future Whoniverse (sorry!). Oh, and by way of nothing in particular, did anyone else find Alex Price in this episode bloody sexy in his period clothes and posturing, or was that just me?

Comments

• Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I think this writer really got what the characters were all about and what Moffat wants to achieve with the new series. Much more than Gatiss did (even though Victory Of The Daleks was good).

If I had to compare this episode to one of Moffat’s, I would say it falls down on just not being quite clever enough in terms of plot. But in terms of character and wit, it was on a par with Moffat himself.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toby Whithouse would definitely be a strong contender IMO. Being Human is excellent and I thought he did a great job with the Venice ep. Whether he would want to do it is another story. Running Who is obviously a daunting task, and who would want to follow RTD and Moffat? Not an enviable task.

As much as I love Mark Gatiss I don't think he writes with the right tone needed for Who openers and finales. Toby is more of a modern writer as Being Human shows.
    Forum Member
    As much as I love Mark Gatiss I don't think he writes with the right tone needed for Who openers and finales.
    No way would Gatiss be suitable for executive producer.

I never particularly liked Unquiet Dead or Idiot’s Lantern. I thought they were among the weakest in their respective series. I thought his Dalek story was by far his best so far, but it’s a long way off Moffat’s standard.

I’m happy for Gatiss to contribute to the show, especially if it’s of the quality of Victory of the Daleks. He can obviously write a good story and brings something to the show. But saying that I wouldn’t want him to be doing multiple episodes.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the next showrunner works on the series yet.

I'm betting that next year will see an infusion of new blood, with some episodes written by people we haven't had before. New blood is always good to keep creativity in a writing team. Hopefully we will get one or two new standout writers.
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    Hopefully we will get one or two new standout writers.
    Wish I could be one of them! Alas, I’m currently in the wrong career and wouldn’t have a clue how to get into professional writing (let alone the biggest show in the country).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish I could be one of them! Alas, I’m currently in the wrong career and wouldn’t have a clue how to get into professional writing.

Wish I could, too! Professional writing is kinda my dream job and I generally write sci-fi/fantasy, so writing for Doctor Who would pretty much be my perfect vocation.

I may have a tendancy towards too dark/adult themes, though, so they probably wouldn't want me (and I'm probably not good enough anyway, either!)
    Forum Member
    I may have a tendancy towards too dark/adult themes
    I for one would struggle to write the word “Amy” without wanting to follow it with “strips off”.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Chris Chibnall writes good-Who. Toby Whithouse impressed me too this evening, and back with School Reunion- he seems to get the tone exactly right with his stories to match the series, and would be a good writer if given the chance to develop larger scripts. :)

Helen Raynor should be brought back as a writer (although not a producer)- her dalek episodes may be detested but her scripting is top notch in my opinion. Mark Gatiss should be kept on but not as a producer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I for one would struggle to write the word “Amy” without wanting to follow it with “strips off”.

In which case, I sincerely hope you realise your dream of becoming a scriptwriter on Doctor Who :D
    Forum Member
    In which case, I sincerely hope you realise your dream of becoming a scriptwriter on Doctor Who :D
    :D

More of a fantasy than a dream.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like SMs sci-fi style of writing but I can't seem to find any love for how he writes his characters. That Rory guy seems to be a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, there seems to be this weird thing with him and the doctor somehow being rivals which is ridiculous. Amy Pond is a companion from a very long list of them, I don't want to see Twilight nonsense in Doctor Who. At least Rose didn't have that annoying indie irony crap about her pfft.