How would you hand in 2 weeks notice this situation?

BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
Forum Member
I work for this agency for two years. Operations manager is cool but the venues I work at are full of douchebags. I've been treated like shit by them and there is no reason for me to continue with it. I've got a interview for elsewhere next week, they sounded very excited and I'm I will be working with them soon.

I wouldn't quit because the OP was cool but at the same time I know he's the type of guy that doesn't deal with being let down and although it is a agency(no sick pay or anything) he won't lose any of his staff without a fight. I plan on calling him and letting him know I will be off in 2 weeks.

I could imagine him trying to tell me I need to write a notice but I just want to get out and really don't want to waste time with that andif he doesn't want to work for me two weeks I could care less. I've told him nothing how they have treated me, although he knows one of the bosses had it in for me and he admit that boss was a prick but said boss bad mouthed me to pretty much everyone who works there so it's been a very hostile enviroment. How have you dealt with getting a new job?

Comments

• uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) don't resign until you have confirmation of getting a new job, not an interneview. unless you want to end up with no job at all

2) any manager will be used to people resigning so don't worry about it. just tell them verbally. if they ask you to confirm in writing, just give them a short note. don't worry about what the manager will think. they are paid to manage staff, it's their job to deal with this. if they can't deal with it well then it's their issue to deal with, not yours. you will be away within 2 weeks anyway. if you do it the right way so the manager has to deal with it properly it might help them address the (non) issue by seeing how simple it is to deal with
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is writing a formal resignation letter "wasting time"?

In the time you took to post this thread, you could have written a letter.

"Please accept this letter as 2 weeks notice of resignation. "
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Once you are leaving,do whatever they say you should do when leaving - you are not responsible for the way they feel about it
  • BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I'm not going until I got the job. Once I'm done with the interview I'll call my current operations manager. If I was to call to let him know on the Wednesday I'm out by the September 10th(2 weeks from then) and then follow up in writing do you think that would be ok? The woman I spoke to wanted me to start asap by the sounds of it but I told her 2 weeks so I'm thinking the 10th and don't want to delay anything.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the beauty of working for an agency is that you don't have to give any notice, at least any agency job I have had that has been the case.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I thought the beauty of working for an agency is that you don't have to give any notice, at least any agency job I have had that has been the case.

Yes, the agency I worked for last year asked for a week's notice but didn't impose it. I worked it anyway for the extra £300.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    As has already been stated, don't resign your current position until you've actually got the other job. As for this letter, unless I am mistaken, if you're working through an agency, then all you need to do is inform the agency (a telephone call ought to do it) and then leave. You aren't obligated to inform your boss cause he's not the one that holds your contract; the agency does.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigNipper wrote: »
    I'm not going until I got the job. Once I'm done with the interview I'll call my current operations manager. If I was to call to let him know on the Wednesday I'm out by the September 10th(2 weeks from then) and then follow up in writing do you think that would be ok? The woman I spoke to wanted me to start asap by the sounds of it but I told her 2 weeks so I'm thinking the 10th and don't want to delay anything.

Once the job offer is confirmed then give verbal notice and ask if they want it in writing. If 'yes' then a brief letter/email confirming your leaving date.

Easily done.
  • BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I feel like giving in my 2 weeks without another job at the moment. Even after interview i think I will.

Just had it.
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Douchebag"? "Could care less"? Are we talking about the US rather than the UK here?