Options

Chasing Shadows

Comments

• Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha. Ok I think there's no arguing with that rather simplistic reply. Good luck to you.

Which, being translated, means "I disagree". Just phrased rather rudely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »

I would deemed chipping in to other conversations rude, but thanks for opinion.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »
    So what's next? Attention Deficiency Disorder? S/he screws up every case because they haven't been paying the slightest bit of notice to what's going on around them.
    I think it would be a great idea to have a detective with Tourette's syndrome.
    Just imagine the scenario.... all the suspects are together in the same room while the detective outlines 'who did it', interspersed with shouts of 'bastard!' 'f****r!', 'w*****r!', and so on, while he builds up to telling us who the murderer is.
    Of course, they would have to exclude him from press conferences, or perhaps, as in this series, they know he has a problem but expect him to do the conference anyway...
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some people have to do that though, to convince themselves they're better than you and thereby prove (to themselves) that their opinion is better.

It's a public discussion forum, not a private conversation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Some people have to do that though, to convince themselves they're better than you and thereby prove (to themselves) that their opinion is better.

It's a public discussion forum, not a private conversation.

Yes, yes, I'm sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll see you here next May, when Shearsmith is nominated for a Best Actor BAFTA for "The Widower". Pemberton on the other hand - is always camp and dreadful. No difference between him in Beniidorm and Whitechapel, both ghastly over the top shows.

I think both Shearsmith and Pemberton are good. Shearsmith has played varied roles and I think people are underselling the nuances to his characters in Psychoville (Mr Jelly, Maureen and the librarian were all distinct characters), and in Inside No 9. He played an ordinary person in the Tom and Gerri episode with no silly voices/costume/etc and I found his performance believable and tragic.

I haven't seen much of Pemberton's other work, but he was very good in Happy Valley!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll see you here next May, when Shearsmith is nominated for a Best Actor BAFTA for "The Widower". Pemberton on the other hand - is always camp and dreadful. No difference between him in Beniidorm and Whitechapel, both ghastly over the top shows.

He may well get nominated for The Widower, as he did played that just fine, but he is playing the same character style in this series, so I wondering if that is really all he can do, there has been many an actor, who has won a BAFTA etc, on the one brilliant part, but that is like an author who has just one great novel in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes - that's right. What a non achievement eh...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    .................It's a public discussion forum, not a private conversation.
    Yes, yes, I'm sure.

Some people just don't know how to behave in public, do they? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some people just don't know how to behave in public, do they? :)

Some people cannot bear to have their opinions questioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For such a newbie on the forum's, why so rude and angry!
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    The acting was fine, but there is no way he would be employed as a police officer of any rank.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Abewest wrote: »
    Is that you Reece?

I thought you and Pemberton were absolutely brilliant in Psychoville, and I would even go as far as to say that, in my opinion, it was better than LOG, the writing, the plotting, the acting, everything. .

So don't let the comments get to you. It's the mediocre writing that's letting you down in this cliched, formulaic piece of instantly forgettable television. You should have written it yourself, or at the very least rewrote it.

Hee hee. Though Psychoville isn't as good as TLOG.

I think perhaps Shearsmith does a lot better when he's written the character himself. I remember reading an article he did for Digital Spy in which he said that he wouldn't do a script that was worse than one he (or I guess The League) could have written, which sounds a bit arrogant but is fair enough. I think he is a lot more able to perform the characters when he can create them from scratch rather than working off a script.

He can do low key characters as well; for example, Ross in The League of Gentlemen, who isn't a grotesque in the way Edward is. He's one of the, er, 'normal' residents. I think he's just probably more drawn towards surreal things- nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    via_487 wrote: »
    I think it would be a great idea to have a detective with Tourette's syndrome.
    Just imagine the scenario.... all the suspects are together in the same room while the detective outlines 'who did it', interspersed with shouts of 'bastard!' 'f****r!', 'w*****r!', and so on, while he builds up to telling us who the murderer is.
    Of course, they would have to exclude him from press conferences, or perhaps, as in this series, they know he has a problem but expect him to do the conference anyway...

Hilarious! Honestly, I don't buy for a second that he would achieve and be able to maintain such a high position.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Let's be grateful that we haven't been down the american route and had psychic detectives. Well, apart from tony hill.

I don't think Tony Hill was psychic was he? He relied on psychology and an intuitive approach to crime-solving.

Dave Creegan, Robson Green's earlier character from Touching Evil, now he did have a bit of the ESP going on and could 'sense' criminality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people cannot bear to have their opinions questioned.

Well, I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to it. If not, I doubt whether DS is the right place for you.
    phil solo wrote: »
    I don't think Tony Hill was psychic was he?.............

He certainly gave that impression; none of his wild leaps seemed to have any logic behind them.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puzzled because of all the negative reactions to Shearsmith. Do none of you
    know that he he is a multi award winning, Olivier nominated actor and writer
    of 15 years of startlingly original television? Not versatile?! In the League of Gentlemen
    ALONE he played over 60 characters! And most recently in "Inside No 9" he was utterly
    brilliant and different in six distinctive roles.

Reece Shearsmith is certainly highly talented, and great at putting on an act. But there is a difference between "putting on an act" and acting in a serious drama role.

There is a long list of people who are terrific at putting on an act - such as Paul Whitehouse, Harry Enfield, Alistair McGowan, Rory Bremner and so on. I love watching them pretend to be someone else. Each of them is very versatile and could put on an act as an "autistic or is he?" detective, pull the right face, use the correct voice, move in a certain way etc. but I don't think that they would convince me that they were doing anything other than putting on an act.

I think that Reece Shearsmith is in that category.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it hmm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    Reece Shearsmith is certainly highly talented, and great at putting on an act. But there is a difference between "putting on an act" and acting in a serious drama role.

There is a long list of people who are terrific at putting on an act - such as Paul Whitehouse, Harry Enfield, Alistair McGowan, Rory Bremner and so on. I love watching them pretend to be someone else. Each of them is very versatile and could put on an act as an "autistic or is he?" detective, pull the right face, use the correct voice, move in a certain way etc. but I don't think that they would convince me that they were doing anything other than putting on an act.

I think that Reece Shearsmith is in that category.

I agree, he is just not making me believe in him, he has not got the acting skill to play the part in any depth, the skill of a good actor is to forget about the actor, but all I see is Reece Shearsmith, nothing more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I agree, he is just not making me believe in him, he has not got the acting skill to play the part in any depth, the skill of a good actor is to forget about the actor, but all I see is Reece Shearsmith, nothing more.

That's funny - because when I watch Jack Nicholson all I see is Jack Nicholson,
    when I look at Al Pacino all I see us Al Pacino. When I look at Alex Kingston all I see us Alex Kingston. When I look at David Tennant all I see is David Tennant.. (Do you see what I'm getting at).
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when I look at Al Pacino all I see us Al Pacino. When I look at Alex Kingston all I see us Alex Kingston. When I look at David Tennant all I see is David Tennant.. (Do you see what I'm getting at).

I think you will find that most people can see the difference between a great actor playing a part, even if they are very well known, and a lesser actor in the same role. It is hard to explain it but a good actor becomes the character, a lesser actor pretends to be the character.

Did you see Meryl Streep as Thatcher - she looked a lot more like Meryl Streep than Margaret Thatcher, but she possessed the role. If Janet Brown or one of the others who did a great impersonation of Thatcher had tried to play the part it would have terrible. Or think of the way Michael Sheen, a great actor, played Brian Clough, Tony Blair or David Frost. He looked pretty much the same in each part but he was able to become them convincingly; far better than any impressionist could.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I think you will find that most people can see the difference between a great actor playing a part, even if they are very well known, and a lesser actor in the same role. It is hard to explain it but a good actor becomes the character, a lesser actor pretends to be the character.

Did you see Meryl Streep as Thatcher - she looked a lot more like Meryl Streep than Margaret Thatcher, but she possessed the role. If Janet Brown or one of the others who did a great impersonation of Thatcher had tried to play the part it would have terrible. Or think of the way Michael Sheen, a great actor, played Brian Clough, Tony Blair or David Frost. He looked pretty much the same in each part but he was able to become them convincingly; far better than any impressionist could.

Yes - as you say, "it is hard to explain".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the case of Al Panico, Jack Nicholson, etc that is fine as they have great screen presence, in some ways you happy to see them as they are screen giants, that is the difference..
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, I think Shearsmith is great. And it's good to see the beautiful Noel Clarke on TV again!! :)
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with this. I didn't think it was too bad, kept me watching anyway.
    It does suffer in comparison to The Bridge, but that was outstanding. The complex character of Saga Noren was beautifully played by Sofia Helin. You could follow her desperate attempts to fit in and understand the world around her. It was sad at times, but it could also be hilariously funny. On top of that you have her strange and subtle relationship with her police partner Martin (Kim Bodnia)..a sort of love that is never declared. Great stuff.

I don't think Shearsmith is trying to play his character in the same way. His version is more.."that's the way I am, live with it". So in that repect there's nothing like the same depth of character. But presumably that was the writer's/director's decision. Screen presence can help, but ultimately all actors are only as good as their script.