John Sullivan's 'Dear John'

Comments

• performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think they should have gone ahead with the Only Fools... 30th anniversary special they had planned for last year. John's son should have scripted it.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Yes it would need a new writer but having said that, John Sullivan gave up on writing episodes for The Green Green Grass and they where often written by other writers including his own son.
    John's son Jim did a very good job of the few scripts he wrote for The Green Green Grass. :)
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »
    The joy of Carla Lane...

She's not funny.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    She's not funny.

Agree completely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair to say 14 episodes of 'Dear John' wasn't enough but no one seems to have a bad word to say about it and rightfully so.

I think Ray Butt had the essence of what John Sullivan was about as a writer. I love each and every Only Fools episode to pieces but after Ray stood down to work on something else the show didn't have the same spark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think they should have gone ahead with the Only Fools... 30th anniversary special they had planned for last year. John's son should have scripted it.

I'm presuming John was hoping to get leverage from the BBC to pen several more episodes of Rock & Chips then probably get the cast of Only Fools reunited for the 30th anniversary and possibly kill of Del but in a funny way like Granddad and Uncle Albert's funerals etc. Or at least that's what the book I read was alluding to.

Sullivan was a legend. Sometimes I don't realise I'm doing it but I call most of my friends and family 'Dave' on a daily occurrence :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Fair to say 14 episodes of 'Dear John' wasn't enough but no one seems to have a bad word to say about it and rightfully so.

I remember nearly crying at parts, as well of course as laughing. The writing was astounding.

Butterflies left me cold too. I couldn't understand the point of it, or why I was supposed to care.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    raadsel wrote: »
    I remember nearly crying at parts, as well of course as laughing. The writing was astounding.

Butterflies left me cold too. I couldn't understand the point of it, or why I was supposed to care.

Couldn't agree more! Although the lyrics in the theme tune have been baffling me or maybe it's just my age? "When you read this I'll be gone" but Wendy kicked John out and he kept paying the mortgage.

Haven't seen too much of 'Butterflies' but I've never understood why Geoffrey Palmer was in sitcoms. Miserable but not in a Victor Meldrew funny kind of way..

Least the show played it's part in Nicholas Lyndhurst's coming of age.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »
    Agree completely.

What is it with her when she said something about depression in a interview.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear John is one of the great forgotten sitcoms. There was a real sadness at the heart of it: poor John, constantly taken for granted and abused by his ex wife, losing everything. I remember the episode with his son (Ralph Bates's real-life son) at the zoo, and the son is biored because they go to the zoo every weekend. And the Christmas episode, where John's ex wife realises she'll be at a loose end and tries to coax him back so she's not alone on Christmas Day.

Overall, the saddest moment has got to be John and Mrs Lemenski at Christmas, as she talks about her husband.

Rachel Bell is absolutely perfect as Louise. I've seen her in a few things and it's always a pleasure to see her. "Were there any ... sexual problems?" was absolutely the funniest thing in the world when I watched Dear John, back when I was at school. Now, twenty-five ish years later (eek), it is still the funniest thing in the world. As she leans in for a bit of gossip, pretending to be caring and thoughtful, she steals every scene.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Rachel Bell is perhaps the best comedic actress around. I loved her in this,Doctor Who and in The Darling Buds Of May.

"You will enjoy it!"
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear John is one of the great forgotten sitcoms. There was a real sadness at the heart of it: poor John, constantly taken for granted and abused by his ex wife, losing everything. I remember the episode with his son (Ralph Bates's real-life son) at the zoo, and the son is biored because they go to the zoo every weekend. And the Christmas episode, where John's ex wife realises she'll be at a loose end and tries to coax him back so she's not alone on Christmas Day.

Overall, the saddest moment has got to be John and Mrs Lemenski at Christmas, as she talks about her husband.

Rachel Bell is absolutely perfect as Louise. I've seen her in a few things and it's always a pleasure to see her. "Were there any ... sexual problems?" was absolutely the funniest thing in the world when I watched Dear John, back when I was at school. Now, twenty-five ish years later (eek), it is still the funniest thing in the world. As she leans in for a bit of gossip, pretending to be caring and thoughtful, she steals every scene.

I think all the characters in it are quite sad and lonely, even "Kirk St Moritz", who we discover is a painfully shy geek and loner called Eric living with his mum, and his alter ego is something he has created in order to try and make himself confident and successful.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more! Although the lyrics in the theme tune have been baffling me or maybe it's just my age? "When you read this I'll be gone" but Wendy kicked John out and he kept paying the mortgage.

Haven't seen too much of 'Butterflies' but I've never understood why Geoffrey Palmer was in sitcoms. Miserable but not in a Victor Meldrew funny kind of way..

Least the show played it's part in Nicholas Lyndhurst's coming of age.

Oh no you don't. Geoffrey Palmer is a comedy god.
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear John is defintitely a classic, and Ralph Bates was amazing in the title role. Not in-your-face laugh out loud comedy, but thoughtful and probably quite realistic to people on their own for various reasons.

Special mention to "Kirk St Moritz", who as has been mentioned was really a lonely cardigan wearing 30-something living with his mum, a reveal that was kept from the audience for several episodes if I remember rightly.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annielou wrote: »
    Dear John is defintitely a classic, and Ralph Bates was amazing in the title role. Not in-your-face laugh out loud comedy, but thoughtful and probably quite realistic to people on their own for various reasons.

Special mention to "Kirk St Moritz", who as has been mentioned was really a lonely cardigan wearing 30-something living with his mum, a reveal that was kept from the audience for several episodes if I remember rightly.

He was actually a proverbial "mammy's boy" living with his Irish mother (and being completely dominated by her) :)
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    This series was responsible for one of the best one liners I have ever heard.

Don't read on if you are going to watch it.

It was when they were at a meeting and a little old lady who was sat next to John broke wind quite loudly.
    John gallantly said "Pardon me"
    Kirk whispered to him "Why did you do that? She's the one that let rip, not you"
    John explained that she would feel bad about what she had done and so he took the blame to save her embarrassment. Kirk said "Oh...right"

A few minutes later the old girl lets rip again, and before John has a chance to do anything Kirk leans forward and in a loud voice says "It's alright doll, have this one on me" :eek:

I nearly wet myself.

Oh alright I suppose you had to be there.:rolleyes:
  • RubydollRubydoll Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juliancarswell, that was the moment I have always remembered, probably haven't done the rest of the series justice remembering just that scene, but I have used that phrase with my other half many a time :p
  • Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    Kirk: She said 'be gently with me Kirky'

Ralph: Be gentle with me what?

Brilliant series.
  • jonno65jonno65 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Absolutely love this show - better than OFAH, IMHO and some great lines. I remember the Mrs Boyd-Peters problem and Kirk saying "........you have that one on me" Plus Ralph Dring's mobile disco "Boogaloo!"
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    annielou wrote: »

That was just his cover as he was really an international spy.

'That's just the sort of guy I am.'
  • Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    One of the funniest episodes was when Louise made Sylvia tell about her husband, the transvestite. Rachel Bell was brilliant in that episode.

Sylvia had talked about what they used to do together, like ball-room dancing, and then went on about what he wore, including some tight bathing costume or something. And Ralph said "What about the ball-room?" Cue everyone looking at Ralph, aghast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised no one believed John about Kirk St Moritz considering that someone as jet set as 'Kirk' probably wouldn't have been as friendly with say Ralph for instance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Oh no you don't. Geoffrey Palmer is a comedy god.

How exactly?
    Forum Member
    Blomlika!!
    Forum Member
    What about the character Mrs Arnott - Her husband Hoopla 'ing' with Donuts - Louise saying "just another 5 minutes then!" So many great one-liners and double takes in this show.