Mrs Brown(es) Boys - query...

Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
Forum Member
... I think I remember a thread about the series a long while ago, I do apologies if I'm repeating anything but I hadn't experienced the series at the time.
Now, however I love it! But I'm confused - I've bought the first series and the second series is just out - I want the box set tbh to take abroad and leave there too. But while looking in HMV on Friday there was an 'original' series I believe.:confused:
If I love the past two - is it worth me buying this other box set?
I intend to buy the box set of the recent two - but I'm confused as to the other one available.

Thanks in advance for any answers - I will be polite and reply ASAP.

Comments

• RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the original series, is just less polished version not made for TV. The comedy might be as good, but it may have similar stories.

Here is the movie version, if you want to see it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixDvfk2PdGM
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Is Mrs Brown a man who has had a sex change ?

Have only seen clips of this and don't find it funny but am confused as to what he/she is ? Thanks.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Aww, thank you RadioK! I was late to this series - I missed a few Episodes. So I was totally confused in HMV last Friday! Knowing me I'll buy the lot but I like to have a basic stock of my favourites in Turkey & this confused me.:)

I'm going to enjoy the link after I've done dinner! Thank you:)
  • BrambleRambleBrambleRamble Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »

Have only seen clips of this and don't find it funny but am confused as to what he/she is ? Thanks.

It's a bloke called Brendan O'Carroll. he's quite a famous Irish comedian. He struck the big time when he put on a curly wig and a dress and did the Irish Mammy shtick. He started of in theatre shows, sell through DVDs and now he's on the telly.

I don't find it funny either, but there you go.
  • TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »

He's just a male comedian playing the role of an old lady.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I think the original series, is just less polished version not made for TV. The comedy might be as good, but it may have similar stories.

Here is the movie version, if you want to see it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixDvfk2PdGM

Aww! It wouldn't load RK.:(
    Forum Member
    It's a bloke called Brendan O'Carroll. he's quite a famous Irish comedian. He struck the big time when he put on a curly wig and a dress and did the Irish Mammy shtick. He started of in theatre shows, sell through DVDs and now he's on the telly.

I don't find it funny either, but there you go.

Thanks. I really do not see the hype :confused:
    Forum Member
    Tarot wrote: »
    He's just a male comedian playing the role of an old lady.

Thanks .. Think I was looking too much into it :D
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original series was made for RTE TV [ hasn't been shown in the UK I think ] , it has all the known characters but is a bit longer, slightly more plot driven and dramatic and no studio audience laughter .

However most of the gags and situations from this series have been re-written and altered for the studio bound, 3 camera, with audience. BBC/RTE sit-com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    My parents / grandparents / aunts etc all LOVE this prog

I don't get it, doesn't make me smile let alone laugh!

Must be a generation thing...
    Forum Member
    bex78 wrote: »

I'm an oldie and I don't like it :D
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum loves it, which really surprised me. I watched and couldn't figure out what was supposed to be funny...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bex78 wrote: »

Apparently, from articles I've read here O'Carroll is planning a new quiz chaired 'in character' as Mrs Brown, who gets members of the public to say whether a celebrity' answer to a question is correct. Sounds like a rewarmed up 'Celebrity Squares' which Bob Monkhouse did after he lost the Golden Shot in the early 70s. Not very original then?
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, from articles I've read here O'Carroll is planning a new quiz chaired 'in character' as Mrs Brown, who gets members of the public to say whether a celebrity' answer to a question is correct. Sounds like a rewarmed up 'Celebrity Squares' which Bob Monkhouse did after he lost the Golden Shot in the early 70s. Not very original then?

C4 or SKY then ?

I can't see the Beeb allowing a lot of effing on a Game Show.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C4 or SKY then ?

I can't see the Beeb allowing a lot of effing on a Game Show.
    It's being piloted by BBC1.