The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    I think if it were to dip then tomorrow it would be back up.

Yes #WhoYou had trended and the press all got into it too.
    The cliffhanger sure got people talking.

I'd love it if it were deliberate by EastEnders to make it sound ambiguous. Although I thought it were extremely clear. I never knew there was even doubt til I looked on Twitter.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Excellent rating for EastEnders, very happy with that. I think tonight's might dip a little given it's out of slot but hopefully Thursday's and Friday's will top it.
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    I think (not sure) since 1 January 2013. The figure I have for that episode is 9.09m and that was the highest rated of the year.

Yes, I think you're right. I'm on my phone so can't double check but it definitely didn't top 9m last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Wonder what the BBC3 repeat got
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    I'd love it if it were deliberate by EastEnders to make it sound ambiguous. Although I thought it were extremely clear. I never knew there was even doubt til I looked on Twitter.

Tbf half of Twitter wouldn't even make out what was live and what wasn't. They haven't got the biggest brain cells
  • TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I predict some grisly surprises ahead with regards to EastEnders.

Remind me not to let you pick my lottery numbers in the future. ;-)
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 3m3 minutes ago
    At 9pm, #TheGift on @BBCOne drew just 3.27m/15.0%, down 330k. #TheRomaniansAreComing on C4 averaged 1.78m/8.2%.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent for EastEnders, solid for the football, disappointing for The Gift.
  • robjames69robjames69 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW. That is such an awesome result!
    It would be good if we got another strong night, but I am conscious that its out of slot tonight. if it remains above 8m tonight, it will be 10m on Thursday and 12m on Friday.
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    robjames69 wrote: »
    WOW. That is such an awesome result!
    It would be good if we got another strong night, but I am conscious that its out of slot tonight. if it remains above 8m tonight, it will be 10m on Thursday and 12m on Friday.

My gut feeling is that the Thursday killer reveal might be higher than the live ep. It's just a hunch based on next to nothing except that live episodes aren't as much of a thrill these days.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK now
    #EELive week began last night with a mighty 9.03m/39.8% tuning in from 7.30pm. The episode peaked with 9.6m.

FANTASTIC! Bodes rather well for the rest of the week.

Highest overnight since 1 January 2013 I think.

That deserves a big WOW. Much more than I was expecting.
  • Lion_60Lion_60 Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Great rating for the first episode this week. :)
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    My gut feeling is that the Thursday killer reveal might be higher than the live ep. It's just a hunch based on next to nothing except that live episodes aren't as much of a thrill these days.

I'm starting to think the same, not because of the live episode thing but because all the promotion has been building towards Thursday's episode(s). It's the day all the "x days to go" teasers have been counting down to. Also given the confusion its already created, even though imo it's been explain well and often, people could think Thursday is the fully live episode because it has the reveal.

The way the schedule has worked out seems to the best for the story, since we actually get some aftermath this time, but it has made ratings a bit more unpredictable. I really don't know what to expect from Thursday's and Friday's episodes.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One reason why that series of The Two Ronnies was on Wednesdays was because that was usually the Dallas slot but the Beeb had dropped it because Thames had just poached it, breaking the gentleman's agreement that the Beeb and ITV didn't get involved in bidding wars for imports because it would push up the prices. Thames hadn't even consulted with the rest of the ITV companies before buying it, which they did in secret.

So Michael Grade immediately dropped the Beeb's remaining episodes and said they weren't going to show them so the Thames episodes wouldn't make any sense. But in the end the Beeb relented and announced on the first Wogan they would show them in a few weeks, and Thames ended up giving Dallas back.

Anyway, while all that went on the Rons were moved to midweek to fill the gap.

I seem to recall that Bruce Gyngell at YTV refused to show Dallas because of the way Thames had gone about obtaining it and the whole ITV deal collapsed as other companies joined him.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 10s10 seconds ago
    On ITV, live #ChampionsLeague coverage of #PSGvCFC averaged 4.37m/19.6% from 7.30pm.
    That's very good.

Brilliant start to the week for EE. No reason why it won't peak at 10m on Thursday.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I seem to recall that Bruce Gyngell at YTV refused to show Dallas because of the way Thames had gone about obtaining it and the whole ITV deal collapsed as other companies joined him.

Think it was Paul Fox at Yorkshire,and he and Bryan Cowgill fell out big time,from being close friends in earlier years at the BBC.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    TellMeMore wrote: »
    Remind me not to let you pick my lottery numbers in the future. ;-)
    LOL.

I did say we would have the highest figure in years and we did last night. Highest in over 2 years.

Thursday And/ Or Friday will be higher i think.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Think it was Paul Fox at Yorkshire,and him and Bryan Cowgill fell out big time,from being close friends in earlier years at the BBC.

Thanks northlad - yes Fox and ''Ginger'' Cowgill were among the pioneers of BBC Sport and in particular Grandstand. It was Cowgill who had the simple but brilliant idea of pointing a camera at the teleprinter to bring the football results as they happened.

Here's one of my all-time favourite clips - talkback of Cowgill directing an edition of Grandstand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckg4RsQXmqs

Thanks to BBC vt
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very good.

Brilliant start to the week for EE. No reason why it won't peak at 10m on Thursday.

especially as last nights peak was 9.6m! Although, it does have that little clash with Emmerdale, which is a grand shame.

Based on last night, I'm gonna predict 8.4m for tonight
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cracking stuff for EE. Am so glad it's finilly getting the ratings it deserves.
  • david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK now
    #EELive week began last night with a mighty 9.03m/39.8% tuning in from 7.30pm. The episode peaked with 9.6m.

FANTASTIC! Bodes rather well for the rest of the week.

Highest overnight since 1 January 2013 I think.

Not bad at all for EastEnders!
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracking stuff for EE. Am so glad it's finilly getting the ratings it deserves.

Calm downs it's only because it's anniversary week. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders gets highest viewing figures for four years
    Source: The Mirror

Last night's EastEnders live show netted its biggest audience in four years.

The show, which aired at 7:30pm, had an overnight rating of 9.03million viewers.

According to Broadcast Now, the show peaked with 9.6million viewers in its final five minutes - a huge increase on the 7.4million average for the year to date.

Fans of the BBC One soap were left in shock after Max Branning accused his youngest daughter, Abi Branning, of murdering the young blonde last year in the first semi-live episode to celebrate the show's 30th anniversary.

The shocking revelation came after Max informed Abi that her older sister Lauren had fled the Square after discovering who the murder is by piecing together the clues in detective Emma Summerhayes' case file.

ore explosive scenes are expected to occur later this week, as bosses have promised that the killer will be officially revealed in a flashback episode that is set to air on Thursday.

Following Max's revelation, bookmakers up and down the country have slashed the odds on Abi being named Lucy's killer.

William Hill have cut her odds from 8/1 to 3/1 favourite, while Ladbrokes make the blonde 4/1 second favourite - also down from 8/1 - behind Lucy's half-brother Bobby Beale (3/1).

Jessica Bridge of Ladbrokes said: "It's hard to tell if Max fluffed his lines or not, but punters believe it could be Abi and have caused her odds to collapse in a matter of minutes."

Lovely positive press, even if it is a tad inaccurate. This all should help boost tonight, also Danny Dyer is announcing the trains at Bow station today!
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic result for EE!
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A decent figure (by recent standards, since they dropped the 10pm slot) for the BBC Three showing as well last night - 532k (3.7%)

Emmerdale had 6.19m (31.0%) as per DS, the repeat airing one hour later had 175k (0.8%).
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders pulling the vast majority of its viewers into live viewing plus the floating casuals. Usually its viewers are fragmented across platforms / viewing times. Moreso than other soaps I suggest.
This discussion has been closed.