Options

Anyone else's Kinect just gathering dust?

IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got my Kinect on launch day and initially enjoyed playing a bit of Kinect Adventures but its appeal is quite limited and I haven't really played on it that much in the past few weeks.

I've had a look for other games that might be of interest but nothing really shouts out at being great.

Kinect Sports looking quite good but I already have Wii Sports on the Wii so don't really know whether its just going to be something very similar (plus, I must admit I'd rather play something like tennis with an actual controller than an imaginary one).

Does anyone use the Kinect (or voice recognition) to control the dashboard? I know a friend that uses it all the time as he thinks its easier than a controller, but I must admit, I find controlling the dashboard hard work with the Kinect and just grab the controller whenever I power up the 360. The voice recognition is good but quite limited.

Can anyone recommend any decent games? Either out now or in the near future.

Comments

• Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was always probably going to end up gathering dust Izak. Move on PS3 is pretty much doing the same other than the very odd occasion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed you lurking in the xbox forums lately Gilly.

You jumping on the 360 bandwagon aswell?
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nah Rob. I just read all the games stuff.

I've made my choices for this gen and am sticking with what I have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I was going to get one for my sister - but after considering the room dimensions and the huge and extremely heavy coffee table, it would not be the best idea. However I have just found out her fella has bought it himself for her (he hasn't taken the room requirements in to account) so I can imagine that it will go gathering dust because I highly doubt they will be wanting to move the furniture every time. And they don't have the room for two players so it isn't like the enticement of party play is going to help.

It is a shame as I think that Kinect has a lot of potential, but being told that the simply solution is moving all your furniture around, is a little annoying.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got Kinect but have tried it and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I'll certainly be looking at purchasing one either brand new or preowned in the new year and I say this as someone who thought it was going to be an abysmal failure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive just been bought it. im sure many other games will follow
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only had a couple of goes on mine but it isn't gathering dust because it is well protected in its box and wrapping paper and hid under the bed. You can only imagine how tempted I am to unwrap it every day after dropping the kids off at school!

Will the severe lack of announced games for next year though it is bound to end up having a dust collecting few months.
  • Options
    Feed The ReaperFeed The Reaper Posts: 7,135
    Forum Member
    Your suffering from Early Adopter Syndrome

Just like buying a PS3 in the first 6 months of its release, or buying HD-DVD addon for an Xbox360 in the first 6 months, or even buying and playing COD games from day one when its hugely buggy and lagging........ its always best to look at how its going to be a few months down the line rather than just released.

Just as PS3 has steadily become a great gaming console,
    Just as COD has been patched up and is playing better,
    Kinect will over the next few months start to get a bigger library of games and some fun and exciting innovations that will really add to the gaming your playing, even if its just the Modern Warfare 3 including Kinect support so that as you play with your controller, you can lean around corners by literally tilting your head to the side ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine has only been used a little bit since we bought it and it's also been used for video chat.

My household really like it, and the only real reasons it's not been used is mainly due to being too busy or tired, Coronation bloody Street and flipping X-Factor!

Bought the sports 2 weeks ago and just not had time to go on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Mine's getting quite a lot of action my 7 year old played through Kinectimals and all the family lost the sports game and adventures, but my ps3 move has been used about 3 or 4 times
  • Options
    LarryPlaneLarryPlane Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I'm using mine to control Zune films (very cool) and two or three times a week for YourShape exercising. It would be good to see more games using it though, but at the moment, it's still something I use on a regular basis.

I tell you one cool thing... Set the Xbox to download a demo the other day, then went out into the garden to do some stuff. When I came back in the TV was half faded (like it does if there is no action for a while) and the download progress bar was hidden. As I came in I thought 'must just woggle the controller to get the progress bar back' but before I could do anything, Kinect detected me and brought the screen back to full life.

Very very cool :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally had time to go on sports the other night. I personally think it's great. Knackered me out!
    I've still not found the courage to go on your shape just yet, but the wife has tried it and it looks pretty decent.

Kinectimals has been bought for christmas so I can see my 3 year old and even my 13 year old loving that.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched a bit on it on The Gadget show. Looks miles better than PS3's one.

I want to get one how much are they in the shops? Ebay prices look about £80. I have the new Xbox Slim so think it would be a good gadget to go with it.

Is there any bowling games due for it like the Wii?
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinect Sports includes a bowling game. ;)
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Kinect Sports includes a bowling game. ;)

Not bad then.

Do they plan to get all the Wii titles too like Millionaire, Deal or No Deal, Brunswick Bowling and so on? I'd quite like that option even though I prefer a bit of Fifa. :p