• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Una McCarthy - more gums than wrigleys :D

That was it! Thanks :D:D
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    I have just finished the DVD's (they arrived Monday !!!)

The Xmas Special is really one of the best crafted, most bittersweet, pieces of TV I have seen. It is a work of joy and sorrow.

Kirk returns and takes out the baddies.

We get more Eric Morris.

The "Superman" scene.

Ralph on the coat hanger.

Kate returns from Greece.

John spends some time with Toby.

But best of all, Mrs Lemenski, a one dimensional character until now, has some real meat put on the bones. The story of her hubby, Bronislaw, was genuinely moving and John passing up Xmas Dinner with his ex-wife and having a dance with her to her special song is a lovely lovely moment. Really beautiful.

Xmas Specials are usually only factually correct for the Xmas part.

This was a work of pure beauty. I shall cherish it forever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Just bought this on DVD and it's every bit as good as I remembered. I think it's far better than Only Fools and Horses. I actually shed a tear when John danced with Mrs Lemenski. A truly great piece of writing and beautifully acted.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant much underated comedy series which has stood the test of time ! Ralph Bates shakes off his many other villianess roles to play a superb role here ! many brilliant one liners !
    " im an alcholic and im in the wrong room "
    "any sexual problems"
    " tinker tailor soldier d***head
    and the 2 episodes with ricky fortune in is hilarious .he should have been in all the episodes in the 2nd series ! " awhoooh ooo you know that i love you ..think the world of you ....so dont break my heart this way... but not on my birthday ".........so sad Ralph Bates is no longer with us !
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so pleased that other people thought the Christmas with Mrs Lemenski sequence was so moving. I was probably about 12yrs old when it was first shown, and I still remember it!

"Tinker Tailor Soldier D.ckhead"! :D I really need to watch this series again ...

This thread is headed "UK Version". Does anyone else remember the US Version? Shown approx 10pm, IIRC. Not a patch on the original.
  • Options
    ajdcbgajdcbg Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of my faves of all time:cool::D

i had the complete VHS boxset for years and years until last year when the DVD finally came out.:D

"A COMPOUND FRACTURE, THANK YOU GOD !!!":D
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RB wrote: »
    Finally being re-run on UK Gold in the morning anybody else watching ?

I loves this show always fascinated with Kirk played by Peter Blake what happened to him anyone know?:)
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loves this show always fascinated with Kirk played by Peter Blake what happened to him anyone know?:)

Still acting.

Was in a a few episodes of EastEnders last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Living the dream !!!!!

http://www.peterblake.biz/
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Here's his IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0086691/

He's worked lots.

Looking at that page reminded me that he played a character in Ever Decreasing Circles (another under-rated classic) with one of the most sit-com-esque names ever: 'Rex Tynan'. He played an evil trick on Martin, IIRC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    I have just bought the DVD and been watching an episode a night.

Last night was Ricky Fortune's swansong and the episode in which Kirk went from being a lovable buffoon to a revolting, obnoxious, so and so.

I'm intrigued - what did he do?:D

I used to watch this on the little portable TV in my room when I was supposed to be asleep. I'd love to see it again - I'll find it on Sky now:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living the dream !!!!!

http://www.peterblake.biz/

OMG a whole bio thanks he still looks the same:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Here's his IMDB page:

He's worked lots.

Looking at that page reminded me that he played a character in Ever Decreasing Circles (another under-rated classic) with one of the most sit-com-esque names ever: 'Rex Tynan'. He played an evil trick on Martin, IIRC.

Thanks really like this guy as kirk.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Here's his IMDB page:

He's worked lots.

He did. He got a girlfriend/one night stand to go into Martin's room on a business trip (Martin had got drunk and could not remember the previous night) and pretend she had slept with him. IIRC she was in a basque and black stockings opening the curtains and thanking him for a great night.

Fantastic episode and one of my favourite sitcoms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I'm intrigued - what did he do?:D

I used to watch this on the little portable TV in my room when I was supposed to be asleep. I'd love to see it again - I'll find it on Sky now:)

His nose was put out of joint as Ricky (played by the late Kevin "Tosh Lines" Lloyd") turned up and was more interesting than Kirk being an ex-rock star. Kirk started off being chippy towards him culminating in Kirk barracking him when he was humiliated at a charidee concert Louise had organised. It verged between comedy/tragedy and being unpleasant. RIcky left at the end of the second episode and never came back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OMG a whole bio thanks he still looks the same:D

The tribute to his father, and the picture, is rather moving.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ricky Fortune and the Fortunates' hit went some thing like 'Don't leave me this way.....not on my birthday...' IIRC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The legend of Eric Morris.

"Mrs Boyd-Peters, you can have that one on me"

:D
  • Options
    inky winkyinky winky Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    So many memories :) I know what I am going to spend my Amazon gift voucher on ;)
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Dear John and managed to find some episodes on you tube. I liked how JS in this didn't feel every line had to be funny, and built it up a little first. I was thinking I knew the name Peter Denyer, who played Ralph. For anyone else who remembers, he was Dennis, from Please Sir, the lad who was quite slow with the curly hair! Also of course a young Belinda Lang, as Kate, but maybe better known for 2 point 4 children. Sad that Ralph Bates died so young at just 51.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I loved Dear John and managed to find some episodes on you tube. I liked how JS in this didn't feel every line had to be funny, and built it up a little first. I was thinking I knew the name Peter Denyer, who played Ralph. For anyone else who remembers, he was Dennis, from Please Sir, the lad who was quite slow with the curly hair! Also of course a young Belinda Lang, as Kate, but maybe better known for 2 point 4 children. Sad that Ralph Bates died so young at just 51.

The whole of the first and second series is on youtube...you just have to be a bit clever how you search..;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His nose was put out of joint as Ricky (played by the late Kevin "Tosh Lines" Lloyd") turned up and was more interesting than Kirk being an ex-rock star. Kirk started off being chippy towards him culminating in Kirk barracking him when he was humiliated at a charidee concert Louise had organised. It verged between comedy/tragedy and being unpleasant. RIcky left at the end of the second episode and never came back.

Thank you for telling me:) I've set Sky to record them all, looking forward to it.

I'm especially looking forward to hearing the theme tune again, that and the one for Butterflies are lovely I think. With the passion for all things retro it would be fab if they brought out an album of TV theme tunes (not the rip-off cover versions I've seen on itunes).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    The whole of the first and second series is on youtube...you just have to be a bit clever how you search..;)

It is indeed & I've been watching them at work on late shift.

Just don't tell my boss :)

One of my favourite episodes is where dates this young woman (or so he thinks)

Turns out she's one of his students at his school.

Very funny when he finds out.

She walks past him in her gym kit says 'See you at 7.'

The look of shock on his face :D
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but I will loved the series.

Kirk the Burke St Moritz

& Belinda Lang I used to fancy her something rotten.

Some of us still do..... ;)

I remember reading at the time of his death that he never forgave the BBC for cancelling Dear John and that in many ways it contributed to his death because he loved the show so much.