Options

The Shining extended cinema release

mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Halloweens around the corner, but to me, this feels like chrimbo! Apparantly, theres over 2o minutes of extra footage!

http://whatculture.com/film/the-shining-re-release-review-bigger-longer-scarier.php

Comments

• Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will be the extended version that has been shown on TV over here for the last 15 years or so, and also widely available in the US on any format, also has been for decades.

So not that much of an event to be honest.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised this extended US version didn't come out at the same time as A Clockwork Orange, straight after Kubrick's death. Both films were suppressed in the UK by Stanley's control over where (and in what versions) his films were released.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be the extended version that has been shown on TV over here for the last 15 years or so, and also widely available in the US on any format, also has been for decades.

So not that much of an event to be honest.

I never knew (:o)that this has been doing the rounds on uk tv, I've always relied on my dvd copy which had the daughters 'making of' doc. Oh well, it'll be a first for me, i'll be like a pig in shit!
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise there were two versions. Sounds like i'll have seen this already on telly then.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    The US version turns up on Sky every so often (or at least it used to). Certainly worth seeing for curiousity alone, of course, but I'd say the UK/International edit is superior. Tighter, tenser, and simply more effective.

IIRC, Kubrick recut it after becoming displeased with the US edit he'd submitted, so in Kubrick-logic our version is The Shining, the version he (presumably) was finally pleased with.

What you will see includes:
    Rather more than needed of Halloran returning to the Overlook, and a somewhat hokey scene of Wendy running into the Gold Room and finding it full of skeletons :eek:
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extended! :eek: It's long enough as it is!
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    Extended! :eek: It's long enough as it is!

you can never get too much of Jack in his prime :D