New xbox rumoured to require constant internet connection to play any games

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xbox-720-games-will-require-online-connection

Sounds like a pain in the arse to me, having to be online constantly to play any game. Especially since I live in an area where the copper wire phone lines get nicked quite often.

But it's really a joke, so what're people to do if their phone line goes down, or the router packs up, etc? You just can't play a game full stop.

Kinda putting me off the idea now, as I don't want an internet connection my entire life.

Comments

• Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend. he's a bit older, and a loner. He's into his xbox and ps3, but he's total old school. He doesn't have internet, and probably never will. The idea of playing against people online does nothing for him. He's so old school, he had his wireless controller wired for about two months until i informed him it charges up.

I guess he's buggered when it comes to next gen?
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I saw this elsewhere, and if always online etc does happen then I'm out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All in a bid to combat pre-owned sales, that they might damage a good portion of console sales in general.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Even if there's any truth in that then it will likely mean you will need an internet connection to start the game for the first time, then afterwards it will be tied to your console and available for offline use. There' no way a permanent internet connection to play games is going to go down well with anyone. It's not even logical or needed even if they were to target preowned games.
  • SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Ridiculous. Not everybody has broadband internet access. Plenty of people will be left behind by this. And I hope they don't use Steam for their authentification system (if that's what they're planning). If they do then I will not be buying the next Xbox.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of days again MS announced they had sold 75 million 360 consoles and that LIVE subscriber numbers were over 40 million. That means 35 million 360 users don't have their system online. Are MS really going to throw those customers away and require every system is connected to the internet, I don't think so.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been an xbox user for over 6yrs & mine has been connected 2 the net constantly ... So it doesn't bother me in the slightest ... :rolleyes:
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll say it now and hold my hands up if I'm wrong.

Will not happen this gen.
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    A couple of days again MS announced they had sold 75 million 360 consoles and that LIVE subscriber numbers were over 40 million. That means 35 million 360 users don't have their system online. Are MS really going to throw those customers away and require every system is connected to the internet, I don't think so.

Those figures are pointless really. How many of those 75 million consoles are replacements for broken ones ? and how many of those 35 million users have multiple accounts ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I've been an xbox user for over 6yrs & mine has been connected 2 the net constantly ... So it doesn't bother me in the slightest ... :rolleyes:

I don't get the :rolleyes:

Are you saying people are over reacting ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest here we all have our accounts on 360 and PS3 set to auto-sign in (though i'm sure there will be one who doesn't just to be the one:rolleyes:)

I'd say the vast majority of us are constantly online whether we are playing online or not so this really is a case of having a moan to have a moan and the only time we notice it is when we getting signed out for some reason

And let's get down to the bare bones of the argument is this unfair to people that can't afford to be constantly online....

No ****ing way, are we forgetting that gaming isn't water you have no legal right to be able to play games if you can't afford it then to bad, i can't afford a car or a house it's not unfair on me that i can't have them
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Even the article you link to says it is a rumour and you present it as fact. I have no doubt that they are looking at it, just as sony are looking at locking down used games, whether they actually go through with it and ridk losing sales is another matter.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    And let's get down to the bare bones of the argument is this unfair to people that can't afford to be constantly online....

No ****ing way, are we forgetting that gaming isn't water you have no legal right to be able to play games if you can't afford it then to bad, i can't afford a car or a house it's not unfair on me that i can't have them

What a stupid statement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a stupid statement.

In what way?

I've said gaming is a privilege not a right am i wrong?
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Let's be honest here we all have our accounts on 360 and PS3 set to auto-sign in (though i'm sure there will be one who doesn't just to be the one:rolleyes:)

I'd say the vast majority of us are constantly online whether we are playing online or not so this really is a case of having a moan to have a moan and the only time we notice it is when we getting signed out for some reason

But i would not like to having to be connected 24/7 just to play a game

What if thebroadband goes down on the weekend or its on and off one night it does happen to me the odd time and im on one of the best packages in ireland with amazing speed
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »

Me too... but it would be frustrating if your internet goes down and you can't even play a game offline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unbelievable :rolleyes:
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way?

I've said gaming is a privilege not a right am i wrong?

Yes gaming is a privilege, BUT why should someone have to pay the extra surplus of an internet connection if they don't want to?

When you buy the console the only extras should be the games/accessories a consumer WANTS to buy, being forced to have an constantly active internet connection should have nothing to do with buying a console.

Even if a person cannot afford the internet bill every month, if they have money for the console that should be enough, it is bad enough that Micorsoft still charge for basic access to online multiplayer.

Not everyone wants to be connected to a social network on their console, it should be a choice whether they take it online, it should not be mandatory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is true i know exactly what will happen.

Buying a pre-owned game will still happen, the only difference will be that you will need to buy another activation code on Xbox Live, it happens with games like FIFA all the time.

I think this is a bad move, all sony would need to say is "our console won't have this" and they win, they would outsell the next Xbox with ease.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though this is just a rumour, if it DOES happen and an internet connection is required aswell as banning second hand games, well this will be the start of a huge downfall for the idiotic money mad microsoft. As if they aren't making enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Again in what way
    Yes gaming is a privilege, BUT why should someone have to pay the extra surplus of an internet connection if they don't want to?

When you buy the console the only extras should be the games/accessories a consumer WANTS to buy, being forced to have an constantly active internet connection should have nothing to do with buying a console.

Even if a person cannot afford the internet bill every month, if they have money for the console that should be enough, it is bad enough that Micorsoft still charge for basic access to online multiplayer.

Not everyone wants to be connected to a social network on their console, it should be a choice whether they take it online, it should not be mandatory.

I agree with that buying a console should buying a console but

if (and its a big if as this a just a rumor so far) the next xbox requires constant internet access then its upto the consumer to either buy an unlimited internet they can afford or just not buy the console at all

Are you really telling me that the £15 a month i buy Sky for unlimited internet is an unreasonable amount that no gamer would be able to afford
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    If this is true i know exactly what will happen.

Buying a pre-owned game will still happen, the only difference will be that you will need to buy another activation code on Xbox Live, it happens with games like FIFA all the time.

I think this is a bad move, all sony would need to say is "our console won't have this" and they win, they would outsell the next Xbox with ease.

Is that really such a bad thing though

Instead of paying £39.99 or not being able to afford that much you could wait and get it pre owned for say £10-15

but as you have bought pre owned the developer gets no money to counter act this they charge you a reasonable amount, let's say £5 per pre owned game (including any online passes) to play the game, overall you'd pay £15-20 compared to the £40 the game launched at and everyone is happy

People can still afford cheap pre owned games
    Developers still get paid and can use the money to make more games

I genuinely don't see a problem with charging to play pre owned games
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I don't want to be connected to the internet to play games. I want to be able to play my games that I BOUGHT offline, and don't want to be spied on. I don't want my software in the Cloud, I want to buy it on an optical media. Big companies are trying to make us rent software on pay-as-you-go basis. I refuse that and I'd rather use an older version of the software and play older games then being blackmailed like this. Thanks but no thanks.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Some people have got this all wrong.

Microsoft want you to have xbox live and the new console you must purchase live to be able to set up your xbox etc.

All future games will come with online codes to stop the 2nd hand games market.

You will be able to play games offline but for those without internet it will be ok, again as soon as for connect for xbox up then you'll have to buy live to play online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that really such a bad thing though

Instead of paying £39.99 or not being able to afford that much you could wait and get it pre owned for say £10-15

but as you have bought pre owned the developer gets no money to counter act this they charge you a reasonable amount, let's say £5 per pre owned game (including any online passes) to play the game, overall you'd pay £15-20 compared to the £40 the game launched at and everyone is happy

People can still afford cheap pre owned games
    Developers still get paid and can use the money to make more games

I genuinely don't see a problem with charging to play pre owned games

Yes that would be fine, but i am very sure games companies will just rip us off for another activation code. They will probably charge £20 for the activation code.