Options

New xbox rumoured to require constant internet connection to play any games

Comments

• Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Some people have got this all wrong.

Microsoft want you to have xbox live and the new console you must purchase live to be able to set up your xbox etc.

All future games will come with online codes to stop the 2nd hand games market.

You will be able to play games offline but for those without internet it will be ok, again as soon as for connect for xbox up then you'll have to buy live to play online.

That's the point. I don't want to buy any extras to be able to play games. I've bought a console and the games and that's it. Microsoft Live subscription should be optional. If you want more options in gaming, and not to be mandatory for everyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    But i would not like to having to be connected 24/7 just to play a game

What if thebroadband goes down on the weekend or its on and off one night it does happen to me the odd time and im on one of the best packages in ireland with amazing speed

I would imagine, like Steam, there will be an offline mode.

</thread>
  • Options
    DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I agree with that buying a console should buying a console but

if (and its a big if as this a just a rumor so far) the next xbox requires constant internet access then its upto the consumer to either buy an unlimited internet they can afford or just not buy the console at all

Are you really telling me that the £15 a month i buy Sky for unlimited internet is an unreasonable amount that no gamer would be able to afford

But you are not just paying £15 a month. You are also paying for Sky and a phone line.

I have 3 mobile broadband and i pay £15 for 15GB so i would be screwed, unless i got internet through a phone line which i am not about to go and do because i don't have a phone.

I am not going to buy extra things just to play on a console that i would probably end up paying £250 for.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    That's the point. I don't want to buy any extras to be able to play games. I've bought a console and the games and that's it. Microsoft Live subscription should be optional. If you want more options in gaming, and not to be mandatory for everyone.

Agree completely, but ms is all about the money, sometimes i think the internet should never have been created.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    The more I hear about the next generation the more I am put off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    The more I hear about the next generation the more I am put off.

It's seems to be all about making money with no care for what the gamers actually want.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be honest here we all have our accounts on 360 and PS3 set to auto-sign in (though i'm sure there will be one who doesn't just to be the one:rolleyes:)

I'd say the vast majority of us are constantly online whether we are playing online or not so this really is a case of having a moan to have a moan and the only time we notice it is when we getting signed out for some reason

And let's get down to the bare bones of the argument is this unfair to people that can't afford to be constantly online....

No ****ing way, are we forgetting that gaming isn't water you have no legal right to be able to play games if you can't afford it then to bad, i can't afford a car or a house it's not unfair on me that i can't have them

Unbelievable. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EIwood wrote: »
    Unbelievable. :eek:

Again...Again what is so wrong with what i said?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    God does anybody here know what a rumour is? This is a rumour and I can bet my house on it that this won't happen, so stop exaggerating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like what I'm hearing a constant internet connection and no used games. The more I'm hearing the more I'm not all that excited by next gen.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Don't like what I'm hearing a constant internet connection and no used games. The more I'm hearing the more I'm not all that excited by next gen.

Neither am I. If the PS4 is also blocking used games then I'm not sure I will be purchasing it either. But it's early days yet so I'll have to wait and see. I was thinking this time around I would just have the Wii U and PS4, but perhaps only having the Wii U for the foreseeable future may have to be an option, hoping that it gets more third party support.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you really telling me that the £15 a month i buy Sky for unlimited internet is an unreasonable amount that no gamer would be able to afford

and were back to your subsided living again. Do we need to go over it again? There is no Sky deal where you pay £15 and £15 only for unlimited broadband. Would Mommy be paying for some other Sky service too? Of course she does :rolleyes: Maybe you should come back when you move out of your parents house and start to pay your own bills.
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and were back to your subsided living again. Do we need to go over it again? There is no Sky deal where you pay £15 and £15 only for unlimited broadband. Would Mommy be paying for some other Sky service too? Of course she does :rolleyes: Maybe you should come back when you move out of your parents house and start to pay your own bills.

Ouch.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be honest here we all have our accounts on 360 and PS3 set to auto-sign in (though i'm sure there will be one who doesn't just to be the one:rolleyes:)

I'd say the vast majority of us are constantly online whether we are playing online or not so this really is a case of having a moan to have a moan and the only time we notice it is when we getting signed out for some reason

To be fair we are all big gamers which is why we come onto an internet forum to discuss games, using us as an example isnt really a fair sample of people to use as it is pretty obvious that all or most of us here will have our systems connected to the internet.

But my sister has never connected her system to the internet, when she wanted to buy more songs for a Dance game she brought the system over to my place for me to do it :eek: . My friends brother hasn't connected his PS3 to the internet for over a year, he is still running an old firmware and has little interest in playing online. Both these gamers would have issues with a requirement for the systems to be online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope mummy doesn't :rolleyes: there you go again thinking you know everything

Does my having nice things annoy you, you always seems to be on the attack

when i move out, if i can't afford stuff i won't have it, i won't however be moaning bitch on the internet (oh yeah i won't be able to afford it)
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck when your internet goes down because let's face it, all UK ISPs are incompetent oafs.

This is a disastrous idea.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again...Again what is so wrong with what i said?

Putting aside the financial implications, you appear to have ignored the fact that many countries - yes, including the UK - do not have blanket broadband coverage. Those people don't have a choice.

Heck, until the past six months, where I live I couldn't get speeds faster than 1.5Mb, until they installed fibre-optic. Even then, the fibre-optic connection was obviously an additional expense - for those unfortunate enough not to be able to afford that, those who live in my area will never get speeds faster than 1.5MB, simply due to the limitations of copper connections.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Well, the last time I used Steam I couldn't play my games unless I was connected to the service and the internet. No-one complains about that, and yet this is only a rumour despite the silly wording of this thread. There's no way I see MS making online mandatory for gaming.

There's nothing stopping them doing it with the 360 right now, but they won't because it's a bad idea so I don't see why it would change, especially when they will want to entice as many people to their new console as possible.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

when i move out, if i can't afford stuff i won't have it, i won't however be moaning bitch on the internet (oh yeah i won't be able to afford it)

Why would it annoy me? I just like pointing out bullshit. You made up a figure to back your argument up, I pointed out you cannot get Sky broadband unlimited for just £15. And I'm guessing if you did pay the Sky bill you would know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would it annoy me? I just like pointing out bullshit. You made up a figure to back your argument up, I pointed out you cannot get Sky broadband unlimited for just £15. And I'm guessing if you did pay the Sky bill you would know that.

Well you got me i also have Sky TV with Sports in HD which is why my broadband is only £15 a month, bravo you caught me in a lie you genius you (though technically my broadband is only £15 a month so my statement was correct)

But looking at broadband choices for about 5 minutes led me to this deal from tesco which costs
    Total

£16.25 per month (for 12 months, £20.25 thereafter) (30 day rolling or 12 month contracts)
    http://www.tescobroadband.com/tesco-broadband/evening-and-weekend-package?cid=aff_1090450

For 12 months i cost £1.25 more than my internet, which is pretty reasonable and not much more than my apparently 'made up' bullshit price

Edit: i don't want this to turn into another multi page argument

we just have different opinions, i believe that if something is a privilege and you can't afford then that is just to bad, you don't

can we just leave it at that
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just look what happens in the playstation forum when PSN gos down :D
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the last time I used Steam I couldn't play my games unless I was connected to the service and the internet. No-one complains about that, and yet this is only a rumour despite the silly wording of this thread. There's no way I see MS making online mandatory for gaming.

There's nothing stopping them doing it with the 360 right now, but they won't because it's a bad idea so I don't see why it would change, especially when they will want to entice as many people to their new console as possible.

Steam is an online distribution platform so needing an internet connection is a given.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its still subsidised living though isn't it. Its not just £15 for unlimited internet.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they actually do this, it will be the worst idea they have ever had. Up until recently I could only have my laptop or my Xbox plugged in at one time, so if the laptop was being used by my wife I couldn't connect to the internet for the box.
    Microsoft will just be shooting themselves in the foot if they implement it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    God does anybody here know what a rumour is? This is a rumour and I can bet my house on it that this won't happen, so stop exaggerating.

A rumour that keeps popping up.

Also nobody is exaggerating, they are saying IF it happens it will be a bad idea, not WHEN it happens.