Options

All EA major franchises going Free To Play

2»

Comments

• Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but if its balanced nobody will bother spending any money, They have to make you want to spend the money. Nobody wants to pay £9.99 for another gun that if I have 5 of them already. The new gun has to be better. And the more content they release, the better the next new gun gets and lets be honest its EA they will content out their arse. So your original gun will be a lot worse than the later DLC guns.

Bad Company 2 was balanced, people still bought the gun unlocks.

TF2 doesn't have anything that aids your play, people still purchase those items. TF2 shows that a F2P online FPS can be done and can have a sustainable business model while not giving those with money any huge advantage.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Bad Company 2 was balanced, people still bought the gun unlocks.

TF2 doesn't have anything that aids your play, people still purchase those items. TF2 shows that a F2P online FPS can be done and can have a sustainable business model while not giving those with money any huge advantage.

I'm not familiar with Bad Company so i'll have to take your word for it, but I fail to see how a game can be balanced if I don't spend anything and you buy all the DLC, are we exactly the same? Bar cosmetic of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with Bad Company so i'll have to take your word for it, but I fail to see how a game can be balanced if I don't spend anything and you buy all the DLC, are we exactly the same? Bar cosmetic of course.

The way Bad Company unlocked the guns as you progressed didn't always mean you had a better gun unlocked as you progressed.

Bad Company game play has never just been about the gun you've got, the way the levels and game is designed it's as much about tactics hence the gun you have is not the most important thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    How's this going to work with stuff like RPGs?

I can kind of understand naturally competitive games like sports, and FPS's etc.. but I want story and plot, and NPC's...
    Neverwinter is a recently launched F2P RPG - 1 race (drough) and the best mounts etc have to be bought with various levels of premium packages and you can buy in game-currency with real money
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Skill, Strategy and Tactics play a large roll in the game so weapon quality doesn't matter as much. Even when I played CoD4 there were times when I would take out what was considered the weak weapons and still hold my own in a server against people using what were considered the better weapons. Skill / tactics can over come more powerful weapons but a more powerful weapon will not give you skills or tactics.

I am not denying that this sort of system could make a game hugely unbalanced if done wrong, but IMHO this would lead to players been unhappy and abandoning that game for another more balanced game which in turn would lower the money the game made and changes would have to be happen or the game would die.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-26-free-to-play-coming-to-every-major-ea-franchise-moore

I can't say I like the direction the industry is going. I like to know up-front what a game costs.

Fully agree, it seems that kickstarter is our only hope - some proper games being developed!
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Yeah kickstarter and indie seems the way forward
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    willowfan wrote: »
    Neverwinter is a recently launched F2P RPG - 1 race (drough) and the best mounts etc have to be bought with various levels of premium packages and you can buy in game-currency with real money

It's a semi mmo, not a normal single player rpg like Dragon age, mass effect etc