Are plasma tvs still good?

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have the PDP427XD Pioneer tv which is finally getting repaired. I`ve not used it for at least 2 years maybe more. The thing that worries me is when i get it back and think the picture is now not as good as it was. At the moment im using my 24" LG pc monitor which has HDMI connection.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    As long as you've only been watching SD on the monitor you should be OK, as the Pioneer is only a fairly low res screen, so won't look much better on HD than SD.

But the bigger screen size should be a lot more viewable :D
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you've only been watching SD on the monitor you should be OK, as the Pioneer is only a fairly low res screen, so won't look much better on HD than SD.

had sky hd hooked up to monitor. i miss watching on a big screen hence why im getting my plasma fixed until i can save up for a 55 or 60" tv.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That model will give a very nice 720p picture, which is significantly better than SD 576i.

Unless you're watching 1080p Bluray, you'll find it perfectly adequate for Sky or Freeview HD in the short term.
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    That model will give a very nice 720p picture, which is significantly better than SD 576i.

I would completely disagree - it will give a soft picture, barely any different to SD, certainly not a 'nice' HD picture.

Not to say it won't be a nice picture, but it will be disappointing for an HD one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would completely disagree - it will give a soft picture, barely any different to SD, certainly not a 'nice' HD picture.

Not to say it won't be a nice picture, but it will be disappointing for an HD one.

Course you would.

But you'd be wrong.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Plasma still delivers better blacks and colours than LCD.

I recently bought a Panasonic 50" LCD and have been disappointed with the set's inability to display blacks correctly. I'm currently toying with the idea of sending the set back and replacing it with a plasma for this reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HD picture on the pioneer was brilliant. Even though its not being used for 2 years due to not being able to afford to get it fixed. surely it can`t have changed that much? the sky box is the same box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    The HD picture on the pioneer was brilliant. Even though its not being used for 2 years due to not being able to afford to get it fixed. surely it can`t have changed that much? the sky box is the same box.

Pioneer's screens are some of the best... that particular model got brilliant reviews.

You will notice the difference between SD and HD immediately, especially on SKY HD.

Keep it till it dies, and enjoy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QUOTE=hardylane;68934566]Pioneer's screens are some of the best... that particular model got brilliant reviews.

You will notice the difference between SD and HD immediately, especially on SKY HD.

Keep it till it dies, and enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

That was one thing I did notice, the difference between SD and HD. But since there are twice as many HD now as there was 2 years ago. In fact the only SD channel I watch is really and no doubt there will be a really HD at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got pioneer back. im wanting the picture calibrated so that i have the best picture. Does anyone know any websites of people who have done this? thanks
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got pioneer back. im wanting the picture calibrated so that i have the best picture. Does anyone know any websites of people who have done this? thanks

There are some videos on YouTube which may help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJP7rPC4Rb4&feature=share&list=PLA0RxFMqmepPmF7nD_oiGY4g-b8bHXtMa
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

How far do you want to go/spend?

Pro calibration £200-£300

DIY with something like Spyder4 pro ( you will need some experience with the TV's service menu etc) approx £175

Setup discs like DVE or AVIA, you can use these for basic calibration or a more involved setup via the TV's service menu. £15

THX optimiser - comes free with certain DVD's, helps you adjust the basic user controls.
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One thing the consider is the question "what are the best settings?"
    Technically, a fully calibrated and set up screen, according to the people that should know what they're doing, should give you the "best" picture, but only if you like the results.
    We know people that have set their TVs up to the suggested levels call us saying they don't like the resulting images as they're too dark or just not to their liking. They have then reset to factory and adjusted to their own preference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinj wrote: »
    One thing the consider is the question "what are the best settings?"
    Technically, a fully calibrated and set up screen, according to the people that should know what they're doing, should give you the "best" picture, but only if you like the results.
    We know people that have set their TVs up to the suggested levels call us saying they don't like the resulting images as they're too dark or just not to their liking. They have then reset to factory and adjusted to their own preference.

I don't think I'd pay a pro. Maybe if I get a new tv. Was looking for people who have set it up themselves. At the moment im worried about screen burn. Pioneer TVs are awful for that. Mine was. Got it wiped when I got tv fixed. If I put news on and zoom the screen so there is nothing on screen to burn. Does that actually work though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really wouldn't bother with calibration... just turn all the digital signal processing off and adjust to the picture that suits you.

Calibration is a gullible rich man's game (a bit like Monster Cables) and the ones I saw weren't anything special (or even different from manual settings in some cases)
    Forum Member
    Got it wiped when I got tv fixed.

Screen burn can't be 'wiped', unless of course the PDP was replaced? (but I'm presuming you wouldn't have paid that much for it's repair? - assuming the PDP is even still available?).

But it's simply a matter of common sense, and only for the first few months of the sets life, once it's 'burnt in' the chances of screen burn are fairly slim.

I've never taken any precautions at all with mine, I happily leave it on a fixed picture for extended time - but it wasn't new when I got it.
    Forum Member
    Calibration is a gullible rich man's game (a bit like Monster Cables) and the ones I saw weren't anything special (or even different from manual settings in some cases)

I've always thought the same - but more 'the kings new clothes' :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Screen burn can't be 'wiped', unless of course the PDP was replaced? (but I'm presuming you wouldn't have paid that much for it's repair? - assuming the PDP is even still available?).

But it's simply a matter of common sense, and only for the first few months of the sets life, once it's 'burnt in' the chances of screen burn are fairly slim.

I've never taken any precautions at all with mine, I happily leave it on a fixed picture for extended time - but it wasn't new when I got it.

I've accidentally left the Sky pause logo on my Pioneer for ages and still not screen burnt. I reckon you'll be fine :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've accidentally left the Sky pause logo on my Pioneer for ages and still not screen burnt. I reckon you'll be fine :)

Don't know how they got rid of mine but its not there now and it was pretty bad.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this thread would be about current Plasmas.

I bought my very first flat screen TV a couple of months ago. I looked at all the screens in the shop but to my eyes the Panasonic plasma I got was easily the best picture at the 42/48 inch size.

The colour on all the LCD screens looked kind of washed out in comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this thread would be about current Plasmas.

I bought my very first flat screen TV a couple of months ago. I looked at all the screens in the shop but to my eyes the Panasonic plasma I got was easily the best picture at the 42/48 inch size.

The colour on all the LCD screens looked kind of washed out in comparison.

Got the picture on mine pretty good. I was gonna get this for Christmas but don't know if it has a better pic than my pioneer. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00C4R3NYM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1381433529&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Panasonic are reportedly going to stop manufacturing plasmas from next year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24458805
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »

Yes, that is a little bit annoying, by the time my Philips goes pop there will be no one making plasmas and what will be available will be expensive. i still don't think LCD screens cut it to be honest and blacks are still a dark grey.

Maybe i should buy a plasma, make sure it works and then put it up and not use it until my old set goes pop.

LCD sets also seems to be easy to damage, my plasma have a solid screen and is also easier to clean.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »

Well I'm hoping to get a good five years out of the one I've just bought. Hopefully by then the available screens will be improved ...... ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm hoping to get a good five years out of the one I've just bought. Hopefully by then the available screens will be improved ...... ?

My Pioneer was bought in 2006 - still a fantastic picture. No visible fade or degradation. Mind you, they made them to last in those days!! :)