Show Humax your top 5 wish list items here

Comments

• JAK99JAK99 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    1. An increase to the number of timer slots.

2. A timer to set the programme being viewed, so the screen content can be fed to a DVD recorder to record another programme externally (subject to that channel being mux compatible). In another words, replicate the Fox / 8000T timer system. (I'm not referring to the PVR's own recordings that may be taking place concurrently.)

3. A switch function to turn off all system messages to the main screen, so that if in the middle of transferring a recording to DVD you aren't advised a recording is about to start or anything else

4. Allow for more than 100 programmes to show up in the EPG Genre list. In fact to show all it finds, but not those from the past!

5. Allow the amount of hard disc space for MP3's to be increased/decreased. For those who do not want this facility an appreciable proportion of the hard disc space is wasted, conversley for those that do want this, more space may be preferred.

I've not mentioned the EPG bugs that hopefully will be remedied in the not to distant future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 ) I also think an increase in timer slots is an absolute must.

2) Chase play is also a must have.

3) I'd like to be able to see more than just 4 lines of text in the EPG

4) Autopadding is something else

5) In all honesty the editing really needs to be made more user friendly its a total nightmare to get around

and more!

6) EPG data stored on humax / HD so poulation is much faster.

7) Program reminders are a must as well in my book.

Saves me coming back later and adding to the thread if i think of tem all now and put it down now.

What's Humax's take on all this, if they have one. Do they intend to take on board what us users of the Humax are saying or are they just going to add what they like and release it once testing etc is done, probabaly next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richeh wrote:
    What's Humax's take on all this, if they have one. Do they intend to take on board what us users of the Humax are saying or are they just going to add what they like and release it once testing etc is done, probabaly next year.

Quote from Humax Support on 18th Nov on one of the other threads:

"The rest of the changes suggested by customers are currently being reviewed and there will be further updates to include these over the next few months.

We will be trying to include as many changes as possible, but it is just not possible to include every suggestion that every customer wants.

HumaxSupport"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Autopad (settings for before and after time padding - no loss of prog title!)

Ability to get rid of preview window when using guide, 10 rows is better than 4!

EPG to be stored when unit in standby, just make it like the 8000t was which was perfect in this respect

When searching under genre do not limit to 100 results, or allow me to filter per channel - i.e. i'll look only at my 100 results for E4 in the entertainment section - it's only ever filled up with BBC1 and BBC2 because of this annoying limit

Sort delete and cropping functionality out for editing program, it's a buggy mess and ruins sound and vision for about 10 secs after deleting adverts
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Quote from Humax Support on 18th Nov on one of the other threads:

"The rest of the changes suggested by customers are currently being reviewed and there will be further updates to include these over the next few months.

We will be trying to include as many changes as possible, but it is just not possible to include every suggestion that every customer wants.

HumaxSupport"

Thanks for that Marc.

I think we are all in an overwhelming agreement of what the most needed updates are and so to hopefully do humax. The urgency to have them updates, the " chase play and timer " and all these things should be done with a great urgency as most other machines available have them. It doesnt detract from the fact that the Humax 9200T is without doubt one of the finest machines around, and the " is one " will change to " is the " when these little nigles are fixed.

I look forward to the day Humax do this and i know i'm not alone.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    In order to throw my vote in: -

1) Sheduled timer event increase (100 should do it!)
    2) EPG Re-organisation*
    3) Chase play
    4) Autopad
    5) Preventing a recorded programme from instantly restarting when the play button is pressed - Perhaps a confirmation dialog?

* A few wishes for the EPG system
    a) A quick way to disable the preview window to show more channels in guide and recorded programmes screen
    b) Genre sorting to be done chronologically, ignoring channel
    c) Better use of coloured buttons, for example green and yellow to move -24 and + 24 hrs respectively in the guide - instead of the cumbersome timebar

That'll do - Can't have it all! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I have had the 9200t for ten days now and cannot praise it highly enough except that I don't think we have EVER missed so many programme endings because of the lack of a readily paddable timing.
    I was concerned that the time shown differed from the time shown on the adjacent VCR display but when I checked them both against Rugby time I found the 9200 was about 3 seconds slow whereas the VCR was over 15 seconds fast!

My 5 wishes please Humax support are:

1) Autopad and retain program name (otherwise it is hopeless)
    2) Chase Play if possible
    3) More than 20 items on schedule -50 would be nice but 20 is too few
    4) Improved EPG- why not tabbed options for the current page and another with more lines and without the PIP for those who want it?
    5) USB for updates please in this day and age- I've ditched all my serial cables years ago
    John
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I think it's worth clarifying how "retaining the programme name" should work, especially as the recent software fix has made one aspect of this worse (see New Software thread).

I reckon it should be:
    • If the programme was scheduled using the EPG, the name in the recording schedule and the list of recorded programmes should always be that of the item selected in the EPG when OK was pressed. This applies even if the programme is padded.
    • If the programme was not scheduled using the EPG, the name in the recording schedule should be blank and the name in the list of recorded programmes should that of the programme on air when the recording started

Unless the broadcasters implement some form of PDC, this seems the most practical solution. Whilst there are better sounding solutions, these will probably be too complicated for Humax to implement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    SOUTH wrote:
    • If the programme was not scheduled using the EPG, the name in the recording schedule should be blank and the name in the list of recorded programmes should that of the programme on air when the recording started

That won't work if you pad the start of the programme. It really needs to be a bit smarter, and try to work out what you doing. E.g., if 75% of your manually-scheduled recording overlaps with a programme in the EPG, then use that name. Otherwise just use the channel name, date and time.
    Forum Member
    mfmf wrote:
    That won't work if you pad the start of the programme. It really needs to be a bit smarter, and try to work out what you doing. E.g., if 75% of your manually-scheduled recording overlaps with a programme in the EPG, then use that name. Otherwise just use the channel name, date and time.

I agree its not ideal, but trying to decide which is the real programme name is tricky and the logic to work it out cant be too complicated, otherwise Humax will never do it. There are numerous permutations and combinations to consider.

How about?
    IF the end time of the programme on air when the recording starts is less than 10 minutes away
    AND all the next programme in the EPG on that channel is within the scheduled recording time
    THEN set the recorded name to the second programme
    ELSE set the recorded name to the first programme
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    You're right - it has to be simple.

Probably, it needs to decide the name based on NOW and NEXT information only. The important thing is that it distinguishes the case where most of the recording corresponds to the NOW or the NEXT programme (in which case, use the NOW or NEXT name, respectively), from the case where you've set a single timer to record more than one program (in which case, don't attach a name).

That shouldn't be too hard to code, should it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I don't think Humax need to worry about this being complicated, as long as it is intuitive.

As others have suggested it would be fine to take the EPG title from the midpoint of the recording. 99% of the time this will be correct !

If they want to be clever, then if the recording spans more than 3 'EPG titles' then insert 'MULTI' at the start of the recorded program name to show that the PVR considers this to be a recording of multiple titles. But thats optional.
    Forum Member
    Okay - how this for another solution? :)

If any recording crosses into mutiple programmes, a dialog appears with all affected titles stating: Labelled as which programme?

You select from the 2 or 3 choices within the box, press [ok] and voila!

HTH
    Forum Member
    JDub800 wrote:
    Okay - how this for another solution? :)

If any recording crosses into mutiple programmes, a dialog appears with all affected titles stating: Labelled as which programme?

You select from the 2 or 3 choices within the box, press [ok] and voila!

HTH

When would this dialog appear? What happens if you are not watching the box at the time? Most of my recordings are unattended.

Sounds like the best and simplest solution is get the name from what is recording at the midpoint.
    Forum Member
    The dialog would appear as soon as a recording setting spanned more than one programme - at setting time - but it was only an idea. The midpoint thing is fine also.

At the end of the day, I'm still having to manually enter the name of any progs that I tweak the record info on (don't have a Windows machine to update with - only OS X), so anything's better than that!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Humax will know what we mean and will get on with looking into how they can make it work better, lets hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOUTH wrote:
    My top 5, in order:

1 Auto padding (user selectable start and end amounts)
    2 If recording using a timer set from the guide, keep the name in the guide rather than name of programme when recording starts
    3 When using the EPG, add ability to use the Commercial Skip buttons to go forward/back a Day WITHOUT having to press the Green Time bar button first.
    4 More than 20 timers (40 would be enough for me)
    5 Dont lose buffer when changing channel

South,
    Will your top 5 remain 'as is' apart from the changing of item 2 or has your top 5 changed over time?
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    South,
    Will your top 5 remain 'as is' apart from the changing of item 2 or has your top 5 changed over time?

Yes it had changed a bit, to reflect the features I use most. My top 5, in order is now:

1 Sort programme name problem when padding (see earlier posts) and keep icon in EPG after padding
    2 Auto padding (user selectable start and end amounts)
    3 Change LIST button on remote to activate playlist
    4 When using the EPG, add ability to use the Commercial Skip buttons to go forward/back a Day WITHOUT having to press the Green Time bar button first.
    5 Keep buffer when changing channel
    Forum Member
    JDub800 wrote:
    5) Preventing a recorded programme from instantly restarting when the play button is pressed - Perhaps a confirmation dialog?

Actually, I take that back - it actually triggers with a slow double press of the play button - but you all knew that. My bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Over and above getting the Humax to record a programme in its entirety (e.g. padding), the thing that would most improve the humax for my week to week convenience would be improvements in the "search epg" functionality.

At the moment, the EPG search screen allows a manual name search, or a search based on fixed programme categories; the list is shown ordered by channel, then by date.

All of these are limited to 100 items.

I request three changes to this.

First, allow an option to show search ordered by date and time.

Second, provide a function to record a list of keywords, and a search function to search against that list of keywords. That would allow me to store (for instance) "spooks" "monkey dust" "mapman", then once a week, I can hit "search favourites" and see if I have anything worth watching this week.

Third, provide a function to record a list of keywords that I want to exclude. For instance, doing a search on Drama gives me loads of "Doctors" "Eastenders" etc, none of which I personally am interested. So when I do a "Drama" search I can see anything new under that category, without getting loads of stuff I'm not interested in.

Thanks
    Forum Member
    Second, provide a function to record a list of keywords, and a search function to search against that list of keywords. That would allow me to store (for instance) "spooks" "monkey dust" "mapman", then once a week, I can hit "search favourites" and see if I have anything worth watching this week.

Third, provide a function to record a list of keywords that I want to exclude. For instance, doing a search on Drama gives me loads of "Doctors" "Eastenders" etc, none of which I personally am interested. So when I do a "Drama" search I can see anything new under that category, without getting loads of stuff I'm not interested in.

Thanks

Excellent ideas! (I'd already listed the first...)
    Forum Member
    I updated the software and i am happy that i can now see the program name after editing the schedule - that is a big improvement as i often set things to record weekly or pad the end

HOWEVER! padding the start causes the program title to change - I am happy Humax are trying to be clever and make this dynamic (it was static in the 8000T and just kept the original name even if weeks later the tv schedule had totally changed) but i think the naming should be done by the midpoint of the intended recording - it makes no sense to decide it based on start time... looking back at the schedules now is confusing as the titles are nothing to do with what i am actually recording! - i hope a workaround can made perhaps to take the MIDPOINT of a recording for the next software update
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Shirley Humax could just set it not to change the program name from the original taken from the EPG, even though the start or end time have been changed manually by the user!!?? Shirley that wouldn't be difficult to achieve?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Munchkinn wrote:
    Shirley Humax

Is that Mr Humax's wife? :p Yes, maybe she has the knowledge to sort this EPG scheduling issue out ;)
    Forum Member
    Munchkinn wrote:
    Shirley Humax could just set it not to change the program name from the original taken from the EPG, even though the start or end time have been changed manually by the user!!?? Shirley that wouldn't be difficult to achieve?

Well that's what Shirley did with the 8000T which was a winner. C'mon Shirley, don't let Mr Humax make all these bad EPG decisions, we are counting on you! :rolleyes: