Options

OCZ SSD's & Caddies

battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
Forum Member
✭✭✭
About 2 months ago I purchased both items listed above. I used the caddy whilst cloning the original HDD.

Last week the SSD failed. I put it back in the caddy to check it on another PC. The SSD fired up the crashed after about a minute. That has now gone back for exchange.

I used the caddy to begin cloning a HDD for another PC. The HDD spun up, was recognised in disk management then crashed. The PC reporting back that the HDD needed formatting. In fact the same report came back with the SSD.

I then used a seperate set of cables to connect to the PC to format said HDD. After about an hour the PC reports that the drive cannot be formatted.

I am coming to the conclusion there is something wrong with the OCZ caddy which is fireballing the drives.

Has anyone out there come across anything like this?

I am about to pack the thing up for a refund!

Comments

• Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno, but the third gen (Sandforce controller) OCZ models have all been plagued with problems since release. It's got better with firmware updates, but are still more prone to failure than most other models.

It's the reason why I switched to Crucial M4 units on every computer I've built in the past 12 months.