Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The critics always hated OCS though.
    Which was a fair shout really.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Critics these days rarely seem to champion a band for more than one album, after which they lose interest. Mercury Rev are a good example.

Mylo was very successful with Destroy rock and roll but has done almost nothing since apart from the commonwealth games opening ceremony.
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blink 182, forgotten? :confused:

Do you mean aside from their constant inclusion in lists of best-ever punk/pop-punk/rock albums/singles/bands, and the stream of articles this year about the 15th anniversary of Enema Of The State and their (second) triumphant headline slot at Reading and Leeds just two weeks ago?

In terms of the general public yes they are forgotten they will probably be able to name All the small things and that's about it...Reading/Leeds probably gave a lot of people a good blast from the past but in terms of the general public they were a pebble in an ocean
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Blink 182 headlined Reading/Leeds festival only 2 weeks ago.

Sum 41 on the other hand had to take a break due to Deryck Whibley's alcoholism. He was hospitalized due to it earlier this year and could easily have died.

Good Charlotte aren't so relevant anymore, but Joel Madden is a coach on The Voice Australia, so he's doing already at least.

Blink 182 -See my post above

Sum 41 - Whatever their personal problems were they disappeared from the mainstream

Good Charlotte - Not relevant in the UK anymore
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Magic Numbers
    Hard-Fi
    Snow Patrol
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dire Straits

I still rate them though
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of British bands I would say The Hoosiers, The Feeling and Scouting for Girls

Please don't tell me Scouting for Girls were ever crticially acclaimed. They are appalling!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Dire Straits

I still rate them though

Mark Knopfler appeared on the BBC's Great North Run coverage today.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Lots of Britpop has been mentioned, but no one's mentioned Space. They were pretty big around 96-98. They split up but reformed and had a new album out earlier this year. No one noticed.

Someone also mentioned the Magic Numbers. Their first album (in about 2005?) had a mercury nomination and they were all over Radio 1. They have also just released a new album. No one noticed.

And finally, Duffy.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of the general public yes they are forgotten they will probably be able to name All the small things and that's about it...Reading/Leeds probably gave a lot of people a good blast from the past but in terms of the general public they were a pebble in an ocean

I'll have to respectfully disagree there. Heavily so.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I disagree with pretty much all of this. You don't headline a festival as big as Reading/Leeds if the general public forgets you.
    Wuthering wrote: »
    Please don't tell me Scouting for Girls were ever crticially acclaimed. They are appalling!

Well, they did have a UK #1 single in 2010, and they did release a Greatest Hits album last year, so people must like them.

To be fair, I enjoyed Scouting For Girls to an extent. It's just a shame that their 2 most famous songs (She's So Lovely, Elvis Ain't Dead) happen to be 2 of the worst.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MiH wrote: »
    JJ72. Liked by pretty much all the critics, hyped as the next big thing, a few successful singles, two critically acclaimed albums, the foundations laid for a long career. Then it just stopped, now it's like "who?

For those in that camp, Irish band along the same lines as earlier Muse.

I've just dusted off my copy of their debut album. It's still pretty good.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Lots of Britpop has been mentioned, but no one's mentioned Space. They were pretty big around 96-98. They split up but reformed and had a new album out earlier this year. No one noticed.

Someone also mentioned the Magic Numbers. Their first album (in about 2005?) had a mercury nomination and they were all over Radio 1. They have also just released a new album. No one noticed.And finally, Duffy.

I did.
    It's very, very good indeed.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    I did.
    It's very, very good indeed.

It's great, isn't it? ☺
  • Options
    MiHMiH Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    The critics always hated OCS though.
    Which was a fair shout really.

I dunno, around "Moseley Shoals" time they were quite well regarded. Their brand of music just seemed to overstay its welcome very, very quickly.

I prefer the second JJ72 album, more consistent - their unreleased third album was pretty good too, I remember really liking the song "Radio" that was pencilled in to be the first proper single release before they vanished without trace.

Also, Easyworld. They weren't brilliant but had their moments - vanished from trace but their lead singer David Ford has released some fantastic solo stuff since.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Duffy, she didn't really get up to much after her mammoth debut album.

Jack Johnson, Corinne Bailey Rae.
  • Options
    Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mansun were as good if not better than Radiohead IMO. Six is a masterpiece of an album. My Vitriol another awesome band, still going I think.
  • Options
    SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the country band named Diamond Rio and the country trio named SheDaisy.

God bless you and these two awesome acts always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Travis. Their second album "The Man Who" got international acclaim and loads of airplay for the singles, and best British album at the Brits but they seem to have faded. A quick google revealed that they released an album this month. I didn't know they were still together!
    What about Duffy, she didn't really get up to much after her mammoth debut album.

Yeah, her album Rockferry was massive. She seemed to drop the ball massively after that. She released a truly awful single called "Well, Well, Well" in 2010 which did badly. Not heard much from her since.
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MiH wrote: »
    Also, Easyworld. They weren't brilliant but had their moments - vanished from trace but their lead singer David Ford has released some fantastic solo stuff since.

Never heard of them, and according to Wikipedia they only ever released a bunch of 7" singles that didn't get into the Top 40.

Might have done some half-decent stuff, but if they weren't commercially or seriously critically successful nor influential at the time, it's really not what this thread was about. :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Corinne Bailey Rae.

She seemed to disappear after her husband died, as did Hannah Gordon who presented Watercolour Challenge on Channel 4.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Paolo Nutini (however you spell his name)
    Seemed to have disappeared then all of a sudden he's reappeared with a different sound, but don't think it's catching anyone's interest.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Menswear were billed as the new Suede in the 90s and heavily pushed in the music press at the time (especially the NME). I think they had one minor hit then faded from view. They were very much of their time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9JKNaxOxzs

They were pretty bad really.

(I liked JJ72 too.)
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't say she's forgotten. She's writing her third album and has maintained a quiet level of success, albeit without bothering the singles charts. I'm sure she'll get over that fact.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    East 17
    Androids
    Electric 6