Doctor Who: 11 Guilty Pleasures

James_VickJames_Vick Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
This is about stories for all Eleven Doctors, a guilty pleasure in this case is a story that most regard as bad but you have a soft spot for even though you know it's crap.

Here is my list:
Hartnell: The Space Museum
Troughton: N/A
Pertwee: The Sea Devils (not really considered crap, most just say it's not as good as the Silurians, I personally think it's better)
The 1st Baker: The Armageddon Factor
Davison: Resurrection of the Daleks (first classic series story I watched)
The 2nd Baker: Attack of the Cybermen
McCoy: Battlefield
McGann: Zagreus (audio)
Eccleston: The Long Game
Tennant: The Idiot's Lantern
Smith: The Power of Three

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes: hartnell none

troughton none really

pertwee well he was v good so no guilty pleasures

tbaker the one with johhn cleese

pdavison the one with the twenties party

cbaker the one with kate o'mara

smcoy the one with ken dodd as its so funny

pmcgann none

eccleston the one with the female slithreen in cardiff v funny

tennant idiots lantern ,its actually good but the dad played by eastenders jamie foreman was genius comedy mindd you he acts like that in ee too!

smith closingg timee , matt smith with the baby was a guilty trip

ax
  • James_VickJames_Vick Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinny wrote: »
    hartnell wheres the guilty pleasure?

troughton wheres the guilty pleasure?

pertwee wheres the guilty pleasure?

tbaker City of Death

pdavison The Five Doctors

cbaker Mark of the Rani

smcoy Delta and the Bannermen

pmcgann none

eccleston Boom Town

tennant wheres the guilty pleasure?

smith Closing Time , matt smith with the baby was a guilty trip

The Five Doctors and City of Death aren't considered crap, also all the Doctors are very good but they all have bad stories, just some have more than others
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    1: The Chase
    2: The Dominators (I think it's crap, too, but I keep watching it...)
    3: Planet Of The Spiders
    4: Robot
    5: Black Orchid
    6: Timelash (it's utter bumwater, but it takes it to such a level that you can't help but smile)
    7: Delta And The Bannermen
    8: The TVM
    9: Boom Town
    10: Voyage Of The Damned
    11: Rings Of Akhaten
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

6: Timelash (it's utter bumwater, but it takes it to such a level that you can't help but smile)

not considered crap
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James_Vick wrote: »
    not considered crap

Sorry. Was this thread designed for people to put their opinions forward whatever they might be and speak freely or was it so you could critique everyone's choices?

I was going to play along but don't think ill bother. And anyway its another 'Make a list' anorak thread which gets repeated every six weeks and will fizzle out after two pages. Seems to be alot at the moment.
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by Batmannequin
    not considered crap

Since when? Black Orchid is often considered crap, especially by its own stars who spend the entire DVD commentary moaning about how much they hate it!

(Don't get me wrong, I love Black Orchid, because it doesn't feel like typical Doctor Who at all, but lots more people hate it for exactly that same reason.)
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I was going to play along but don't think ill bother. And anyway its another 'Make a list' anorak thread which gets repeated every six weeks and will fizzle out after two pages. Seems to be alot at the moment.

Good point about the "make a list" threads. They do get a bit samey, don't they? No substance or detail to them.

So instead, here's a detailed look at why something is one of my guilty pleasures: the caveman episodes of Serial A.

Yes, really.

Most fans complain that these don't feel like a proper Doctor Who story. They're right, of course. But no-one goes on to ask themselves what those episodes do feel like.

They feel like a boardroom-and-bedroom, power-struggle soap opera, such as Dallas, Dynasty, The Power Game, The Brothers, Compact, The Onedin Line, etc. But with the gimmick of cavemen and time travellers!

Yeah, yeah, I know, there are a lot of DW fans who don't like any kind of soaps, and just can't understand how one soapy subgenre can be more fun than another, but I've always had a soft spot for those power-struggle ones. (Blame it on the "Krystle's Evil Lookalike" storyline in Dynasty in the 80s! I've always had a soft spot for Evil Lookalike storylines!)

Admit it, if you saw that a new series was described as being "like Dynasty with added cavemen and time travellers," your curiosity would get the better of you and you'd end up watching anyway wouldn't you? I know I would!
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since when? Black Orchid is often considered crap, especially by its own stars who spend the entire DVD commentary moaning about how much they hate it!

(Don't get me wrong, I love Black Orchid, because it doesn't feel like typical Doctor Who at all, but lots more people hate it for exactly that same reason.)

I've never heard any Doctor Who fan call it crap, they all seem to like it for the same reason as you said
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member

I love votd.

The theme music in this was also the best I have ever heard.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    I love votd.

The theme music in this was also the best I have ever heard.

The theme music was brilliant for this, I agree.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Five Doctors and City of Death aren't considered crap, also all the Doctors are very good but they all have bad stories, just some have more than others

After Series 7, Pertwee has the least rubbish stories. Why? Because he has only one story. They just felt the need to remake it every four weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    After Series 7, Pertwee has the least rubbish stories. Why? Because he has only one story. They just felt the need to remake it every four weeks.

blasphemy!!!! The Three Doctors, Carnival of Monsters, Planet of the Daleks, The Time Warrior, Colony in Space, The Curse of Peladon, The Mutants, Frontier in Space and Day of the Daleks how where they repeating the same thing? :p
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 29,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Under water menace
    2. Kandyman
    3. Eric Roberts
    4. Death comes to time
    5. Shalka
    6.rings or the akhaten
    7. Salamander
    8. Frobisher
    9. Ace
    10.historicals
    11. Macra
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blasphemy!!!!
    Don't worry! I'm not being entirely serious!
    The Three Doctors, Carnival of Monsters, Planet of the Daleks, The Time Warrior, Colony in Space, The Curse of Peladon, The Mutants, Frontier in Space and Day of the Daleks how where they repeating the same thing? :p
    I'll write a Pertwee synopsis to illustrate my point:

Angered by establishment meddling, the Doctor engages in a car chase and some kung fu. To everyone's surprise, it turns out the Master was involved all along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Angered by establishment meddling, the Doctor engages in a car chase and some kung fu. To everyone's surprise, it turns out the Master was involved all along.

The Three Doctors, Carnival of Monsters, Planet of the Daleks, The Time Warrior, Colony in Space, The Curse of Peladon, The Mutants and Day of the Daleks don't feature the Master at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah! I know that one! Terror of the...hang on...Death...no, something of Death...(no that came later)...Of is in there, I'm sure...Death Of The Terror ..god no...Terror Of The Death? Obviously not...erm...The. The Somethings. The Death Terror Of The Somethings. Got it, Doctor regenerates - Nick, you look exasperated, and - scene. Thanks everybody, drinks at 6.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Three Doctors, Carnival of Monsters, Planet of the Daleks, The Time Warrior, Colony in Space, The Curse of Peladon, The Mutants and Day of the Daleks don't feature the Master at all

You may want to watch Colony in Space again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

shit copied and pasted that for my previous post, forgot to take that out :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Those royalties still coming in, Michael E. "Corwin" Briant? ;):D
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have any guilty pleasures. The good stuff I like, the bad stuff I don't. I don't really understand the concept that I might like something I consider to be bad. And I have enough confidence in my own taste that I don't feel embarrassed to go against the popularly held viewpoint on any given episode.

The nearest thing I think I can contribute here is Delta and the Bannermen. I think it's a very good script, and uniquely styled, with a good realization on screen. It's a Saturday morning cartoon version of Doctor Who in live action. But that's a tone and style I'm not sure is really appropriate and I can understand why it's disliked. So I can simultaneously recognize its merits, and enjoy it, without necessarily thinking it was a great idea. Generally though, I appreciate attempts to widen the scope of the programme (I really like Love and Monsters too) so I fall on the side of approval.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... Guilty pleasures...! Well let's see.

Hartnell - The Chase (Campy fun with the Daleks through time and space! ^^)

Troughton - Seeds of Doom (Thought it was really pretty alright. Though it had its flaws)

Pertwee - Planet of the Daleks (One of the weaker Dalek stories definitely, but it does provide some entertainment, much like The Chase)

T. Baker - The Leisure Hive (I can understand why many don't like this one, but I thought it was magnificent. Not my favourite Tom story by any stretch, but one I can always fall back on for some good old 80s narm and fun. :D )

Davison - The Five Doctors (Multi-Doctor, massively fanwanky but I don't care, it makes me happy. :D )

C.Baker - The Two Doctors (Again, another Multi-Doctor, probably the weakest proper Multi-Doctor story but still good fun, and it was great to see Troughton again for one last hurrah.)

McCoy - Remembrance of the Daleks (This is truly a Proto-NuWho story. The pacing, action and everything wouldn't have been out of place in the Tennant era for sure.)

McGann - Death in Blackpool (One of my favourite present-day stories - it has its flaws, but it's just fantastic, with some campy acting on the side! :D)

Eccleston - The Long Game (Simon Pegg owns this. Not a big fan of the story, or Adam, or even the monster of the week, but Pegg makes it awesome by default.)

Tennant - The Shakespeare Code (Yep, it isn't that good really, but it's so watchable. Really fun! Would watch again and again. ^^ )

Smith - The Bells of Saint John (One of the most watchable episodes from his era for me, I just can't tire of watching it, it's great! Sure it has a lot of shortcomings and flaws (that plane scene for one thing) but it's made up for in just plain awesomeness which I see it having in abundance!)

Well that's all I wrote. :L
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pertwee - Planet of the Daleks (One of the weaker Dalek stories definitely, but it does provide some entertainment, much like The Chase)

HOW DARE YOU :p that is my favourite Doctor Who story of all time your talking about and Remembrance of the Daleks is not considered crap by fans, neither is the Five Doctors
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HOW DARE YOU :p that is my favourite Doctor Who story of all time your talking about

I'm sorry! ^^' I personally thought Death to the Daleks was a much stronger Dalek story for Pertwee, but I can see all of Planet's good points pretty well. It is a good story. ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HOW DARE YOU :p that is my favourite Doctor Who story of all time your talking about and Remembrance of the Daleks is not considered crap by fans, neither is the Five Doctors

Even amongst the Pertwee lot, Day... is better! and Death... is indistinguishable from an episode of The Mighty Boosh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even amongst the Pertwee lot, Day... is better! and Death... is indistinguishable from an episode of The Mighty Boosh.

Day was okay but the Daleks sound like they where on hellium