Windows 8 & anti-virus

Hi all,

I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and would like to ask a potentially stupid question regarding anti-virus software.

I've installed antivirus on the laptop and it shows it is running in the desktop correctly. I've also put a link to it in the start menu (which just cuts straight to viewing the security centre in the desktop). However, the anti-virus comes with a site advisor which works if I use Internet explorer from the desktop view, but if I use the Internet explorer app from the start tile menu, the site advisor isn't present. Does this mean my virus protection doesn't cover the apps in the start menu?

Apologies if this is a very stupid question, am still getting my head around apps etc. Thanks to anyone who can help!

:)

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which anti-virus?
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes your anti-virus program should still be working when you are using Modern apps, it's just that the Modern/Metro (whatever you want to call it) version of Internet Explorer doesn't allow add-ons in the same way, so the site advisor add on won't work with it.
    Your anti-virus will still be scanning anything you download though.

Incidentally, I presume you are aware that Windows Defender that comes pre-installed with 8, is a full featured anti-virus/anti-malware program, so you didn't need to install a third party antivirus Prog if you didn't want to?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replying, really appreciate it!

It's Mcafee (the BT net protect plus version). Yes thank you, I did realise but was advised by where I bought my laptop from that a third party anti virus was important to ensure it was properly covered. Does that mean it may have been better to stick with the built in one? Again, thank you for your help!
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaykay x wrote: »

It's Mcafee (the BT net protect plus version). Yes thank you, I did realise but was advised by where I bought my laptop from that a third party anti virus was important to ensure it was properly covered. Does that mean it may have been better to stick with the built in one? Again, thank you for your help!

As I say, you don't need a third party one, but a lot of people feel safer with one, rather than relying on the Microsoft one.
    'tis up to you. Just remember though, that the people who 'advised' you were wanting to sell you Mcafee. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Haha, thank you!
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All metro apps are sandboxed and metro IE not working with any plugins is actually a security feature. You should have a similar level of comfort when using a metro app to using an iPad app.

So you can feel reasonably comfortable using the metro IE when you want even though siteadvisor is not present.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaykay x wrote: »

The problem here is that if McAfee did not disable defender then you have two antivirus running which will slow things down a bit. Commodo which is the one I use don't disable windows 8 security, so I had to go into services to disable it.

Here is how you do it, if you want to.

I would not rely on defender either to be honest, but yes emptybox could be right that the people who advise you may be wanting to sell you a security package.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Defender is pretty good, its all I use on W8. Most of these programmes perform at around the same level depending upon which report/review you read. If your a sensible user keeping away from dodgey sites it should do you well. We're heavy online users and use MS Security Essentials on our W7 machines and have not had a virus in years, literally years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Defender is pretty good, its all I use on W8. Most of these programmes perform at around the same level depending upon which report/review you read. If your a sensible user keeping away from dodgey sites it should do you well. We're heavy online users and use MS Security Essentials on our W7 machines and have not had a virus in years, literally years.

I also use the preinstalled Defender on W8 and it works very well. It is all you need.
    I also run Malwarebytes once a week as a secondary measure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    I also use the preinstalled Defender on W8 and it works very well. It is all you need.
    I also run Malwarebytes once a week as a secondary measure.

I tend to run superantispyware from time to time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with using one supplied by the OS is that we have no idea if there are any back doors in it.

A mate of mine used to say that using a Microsoft supplied security suit is like having Bin Laden guarding the white house, that was when Bin Laden was alive.

i prefer to use a security suit i choose
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    The problem with using one supplied by the OS is that we have no idea if there are any back doors in it.

A mate of mine used to say that using a Microsoft supplied security suit is like having Bin Laden guarding the white house, that was when Bin Laden was alive.

i prefer to use a security suit i choose

You shouldn't always believe what you mates say :)

You could easily say the likes of Kaspersky or Symantec could easily put in backdoors as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine that if there were indeed a 'back door' to the MS software it would have been major news, after all some people do like to knock MS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    You shouldn't always believe what you mates say :)

[/quote

I did not believe him, It was funny when he first said it I must admit.
    You could easily say the likes of Kaspersky or Symantec could easily put in backdoors as well.[/QUOTE]

That is true.
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I would imagine that if there were indeed a 'back door' to the MS software it would have been major news, after all some people do like to knock MS.

That is also true.

I just prefer to use a security suit I have grown used to, something that gives me more control.

The problem with MS one is that it is a pain to disable if I need to.