Doctor Who: 11 Guilty Pleasures

2»

Comments

• krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I have a great fondness for Planet of the Daleks, as it's the first thing I remember seeing on television! There have been better Dalek stories, but I really like this one. And Pertwee is as classy as ever. :)

Others - not 'guilty pleasures' as such, more 'less highly regarded':

Tom Baker - I'm very fond of The Invisible Enemy, I thought the Fourth Doctor and Leela clones wandering through the Fourth Doctor's brain were a great idea. I like The Leisure Hive, too - the end of the first episode sticks in my mind as having one of the most terrifying cliffhangers in the show's history. (I won't spoil it, but it's brilliantly described by Charlie Brooker in 'Screen Burn'.)

Davison - The King's Demons. I think it's fun.

Tennant - New Earth. Again, it doesn't seem that loved as a story, and I find it hard to understand why. I find it very funny and well structured with a great threat level, and a touching, generous-spirited ending.

Smith - The Beast Below. Though I love most of Moffat's writing, there are a few aspects in his era which irritate me. The overuse of insipid child characters. Scary-looking yet ineffectual villains. Oh, and Amy Pond IMO. :D. Despite this episode having all three of these, I still like it. Excellent acting from Matt, particularly during his furious speech, and Sophie Okonedo is great as Liz 10.
  • James_VickJames_Vick Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a great fondness for Planet of the Daleks, as it's the first thing I remember seeing on television! There have been better Dalek stories, but I really like this one. And Pertwee is as classy as ever. :)

Planet of the Daleks is highly regarded :D

It's also my favourite all-time Doctor Who story
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    James_Vick wrote: »
    Planet of the Daleks is highly regarded :D

It's also my favourite all-time Doctor Who story

I'm pleased to hear that. So it should be. :)
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hartnell:- The Chase
    Troughton:- The Krotons
    Pertwee:- Monster of Peladon (but only because I find Queen Thalira quite attractive)
    Baker:- Nightmare on Eden
    Davison:- Time Flight
    Baker:- Nightmare of Eden
    McCoy:- Delta and the Bannermen

Eccleston:- Boomtown
    Tennant:- The Fires of Pompeii
    Smith:- A Town Called Mercy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Hartnell:- The Chase
    Troughton:- The Krotons
    Pertwee:- Monster of Peladon (but only because I find Queen Thalira quite attractive)
    Baker:- Nightmare on Eden
    Davison:- Time Flight
    Baker:- Nightmare of Eden
    McCoy:- Delta and the Bannermen

Eccleston:- Boomtown
    Tennant:- The Fires of Pompeii
    Smith:- A Town Called Mercy

Fires of Pompeii is not generally regarded as bad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fires of Pompeii is not generally regarded as bad

Don't really like the crap Tennant stories so not a lot of scope although I perhaps should have chose Partners in Crime.

Anyway coming from someone who thinks Planet of the Daleks (118 out of 200) is highly regarded that is a bit rich.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Don't really like the crap Tennant stories so not a lot of scope although I perhaps should have chose Partners in Crime.

Anyway coming from someone who thinks Planet of the Daleks (118 out of 200) is highly regarded that is a bit rich.

Parents in the Crime is highly reguarded also, and I wouldn't trust polls if I where you, you can never tell whose trolling and voting multiple times. I trust what I've heard for Whovian first-hand
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parents in the Crime is highly reguarded also, and I wouldn't trust polls if I where you, you can never tell whose trolling and voting multiple times. I trust what I've heard for Whovian first-hand

Actually that is an official poll held by Doctor Who Magazine. I believe they did it by post so multiple voting was pretty much impossible unless you wanted to spend ridiculous amounts of money on buying the magazine then filling out the form again and again...

But yeah, even in that poll, Partners in Crime only ranks 98 - so not really highly regarded. Just average.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For your information the definition of highly regarded is not 'liked by James_Vick' but I suspect you know you're talking complete rubbish.

Sorry if I trashed your favourite story but 118 out of 200 does not make a highly regarded story and I'll trust the Top 200 poll over you any day of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually that is an official poll held by Doctor Who Magazine. I believe they did it by post so multiple voting was pretty much impossible unless you wanted to spend ridiculous amounts of money on buying the magazine then filling out the form again and again...

But yeah, even in that poll, Partners in Crime only ranks 98 - so not really highly regarded. Just average.

Read my previous comment :sleep:
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planet of the Daleks is one of the lesser Dalek stories. In fact, none of Pertwee's Dalek stories are his strongest.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read my previous comment :sleep:

I'd rather not. How about you try and make some posts with a little substance to them, rather than your current habit of bombarding topics with 'How can you say that? It's brilliant' or 'That's terrible' type posts. It's a very annoying habit and so you have to understand people are going to get annoyed with you.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is about stories for all Eleven Doctors, a guilty pleasure in this case is a story that most regard as bad but you have a soft spot for even though you know it's crap.

Here is my list:
    Hartnell: The Space Museum
    Troughton: N/A
    Pertwee: The Sea Devils (not really considered crap, most just say it's not as good as the Silurians, I personally think it's better)
    The 1st Baker: The Armageddon Factor
    Davison: Resurrection of the Daleks (first classic series story I watched)
    The 2nd Baker: Attack of the Cybermen
    McCoy: Battlefield
    McGann: Zagreus (audio)
    Eccleston: The Long Game
    Tennant: The Idiot's Lantern
    Smith: The Power of Three

Zagreus is indefensible. :p The fact it's 4 hours long is an insurmountable problem.

I don't mind "bad" stories, it's the dull ones I can't abide. I'd stand up for Gunfighters & Nimon any day of the week.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrong thread
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guilty pleasures:

Bill - The Aztecs
    Pat - Tomb Of The Cybermen
    Jon - The Daemons
    Tom - Terror Of The Zygons
    Pete - Caves Of Androzani
    Col - Vengeance On Varos
    Sylv - Remembrance Of The Daleks
    Paul - The Movie
    Chris - The Empty Child
    Dave - Midnight
    Matt - The Doctor's Wife
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guilty pleasures:

Bill - The Aztecs
    Chris - The Empty Child

I'm not a fan of those two anyway
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st - Keys Of Marinus - a bit silly but plenty of Ian & Barbara and Hartnell is a lot of fun after his holiday.
    2nd - The Highlanders, a really fun romp
    3rd - I only like a few Pertwee's (Spearhead, Inferno, Carnival) and most of them are highly regarded - maybe Colony In Space since for whatever reason it doesn't annoy me as much as crap like Daemons, Planet & Mutants.
    4th - Horns Of Nimon - ridiculous from start to finish but very entertaining.
    5th - The Visitation - not that it is a bad story but I put the commentary on and listen to the cast have a great time watching it
    6th - Terror Of The Vervoids - can't beat a bit of Mel!
    7th - Delta And The Bannermen - I know people don't like it but for me this is pure joy.
    8th - Phobos - just loved it, don't really know why.
    9th - Boom Town
    10th - Unicorn And The Wasp
    11th - Closing Time