Options

Deal or No Deal (No Spoilers — Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    I am sure that Noel said some time ago that the chosen player knew a few hours before the game that it was his/her turn. The family members in the audience are also miked (but this could be part of an edit I suppose, at the start of the game). Not making this up, I promise (or maybe I dreamt it!? :confused::D).

The twins games are another giveaway.

I highly doubt the family members are in the audience for 20 games before they are due to play.

Which also makes this apparent random selection where seemingly any of the 22 players could be playing today seem rather false.

Noel must think we are stupid if he thinks we think what number a player has in the wings and it was the quarter million, if he/she played today it would have come to the table.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've already admitted that the player knows who's going to be playing beforehand.

Noel made a point of it one time when ribbing a player for going over the top when looking surprised at being chosen. He said something like "the players know in advance who's going to be playing Deal so we ask them not to look too surprised...." before playing a video of this particular player freaking out when picked.

Wasn't that long ago iirc

So really all that the beginning flashing of names is designed for is us the viewer then. Simple as that. I'm actually rather annoyed now, thinking back to these faked up expressions of surprise from players, and it will be yet another thing to irk me when I see someone going over the top as their name is called ready to play, knowing that it is no surprise in reality. I wonder if this was always the case however.

It certainly is noticeable after just a couple of days absence with DOND in the afternoon.
  • Options
    SuddenEliteSuddenElite Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    So really all that the beginning flashing of names is designed for is us the viewer then. Simple as that.

All in the name of entertainment RichTea :)

Having said that, I doubt there's a quiz show or reality show on television that isn't either mildly manipulated at best or brazenly scripted at worst - the last truly "virgin" one was probably the first Big Brother, but even then I doubt Nasty Nick was acting entirely alone....

Slightly off topic, but I remember a few years ago the Daily Mail going ape sh*t about an episode of Deal where the (for the sake of argument) 50k red icon disappeared from the board before the player had picked the box with 50k in it. "Fix" they all screamed, not realising (how they didn't realise, i have no idea) that all the graphics etc are done in post production AFTER the game!

(totally agree ref: lack of Deal this week RichTea, but the Hairy Bikers are getting me through / making me fatter!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All in the name of entertainment RichTea :)

Having said that, I doubt there's a quiz show or reality show on television that isn't either mildly manipulated at best or brazenly scripted at worst - the last truly "virgin" one was probably the first Big Brother, but even then I doubt Nasty Nick was acting entirely alone....

Slightly off topic, but I remember a few years ago the Daily Mail going ape sh*t about an episode of Deal where the (for the sake of argument) 50k red icon disappeared from the board before the player had picked the box with 50k in it. "Fix" they all screamed, not realising (how they didn't realise, i have no idea) that all the graphics etc are done in post production AFTER the game!

(totally agree ref: lack of Deal this week RichTea, but the Hairy Bikers are getting me through / making me fatter!)

You are very right regards Big Brother and your thoughts. I recall on just day 2, I think it was, when most of them got fully naked and were actually shown as such full frontal, smearing the walls in clay. A weird kind of innocence infact. That could never be re-captured.

I think DOND is becoming more manipulated by the week nowadays. The clue is in the word "auditions" for prospective players after all.

As for daytime TV, DOND is the one and only indulgence in that area I will allow myself. Without it, the TV stays firmly off, although I usually catch it on the 5pm showing (+1) so I consider that early evening by then. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are very right regards Big Brother and your thoughts. I recall on just day 2, I think it was, when most of them got fully naked and were actually shown as such full frontal, smearing the walls in clay. A weird kind of innocence infact. That could never be re-captured.

I think DOND is becoming more manipulated by the week nowadays. The clue is in the word "auditions" for prospective players after all.

As for daytime TV, DOND is the one and only indulgence in that area I will allow myself. Without it, the TV stays firmly off, although I usually catch it on the 5pm showing (+1) so I consider that early evening by then. ;)

I am pretty sure I saw a clip of a board at 5 box on a Challenge episode where they just coming to a break they were only at 8 box
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure I saw a clip of a board at 5 box on a Challenge episode where they just coming to a break they were only at 8 box

I have watched a few of the games on Challenge recently and thought that bits have been missed out/edited and not very well done either in some cases!

Rich Tea - Until last year or so, the names were flashed up for much longer at the start and then, I think, it really was a surprise as to who the player might be, or we could have a good guess as an avid viewer because of the length of time someone has been in the wings. Now it flashes up only five or so names - presumably the players who have been in the wings the longest.

We never hear the question asked now by Noel, 'How many games have you been here for?' when a player gets to the table. Just a few subtle tweaks to the programme that we are supposed not to notice.

These are just my observations having watched a few old games recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    I have watched a few of the games on Challenge recently and thought that bits have been missed out/edited and not very well done either in some cases!

Rich Tea - Until last year or so, the names were flashed up for much longer at the start and then, I think, it really was a surprise as to who the player might be, or we could have a good guess as an avid viewer because of the length of time someone has been in the wings. Now it flashes up only five or so names - presumably the players who have been in the wings the longest.

We never hear the question asked now by Noel, 'How many games have you been here for?' when a player gets to the table. Just a few subtle tweaks to the programme that we are supposed not to notice.

These are just my observations having watched a few old games recently.

Yes I have noticed the more rapid name choose at the start. I just wish they would get rid of it, if the player already knows. Instead, like they do with the celebrity ones, have the player walk on, with everyone else already in the wings. Then pick from a bowl the ball number of the box they will have. Then maybe while Noel chats to the player for a minute or two, the bowl goes down the wings each side, each person picking that days box for themself, with a minion placing them. More transparent, and if they are going to timewaste, at least do it a bit more constructively!

The show gives the impression of evolving into things by accident, which I find hard to believe. They must have production meetings to discuss the direction things are going after all. A new telephone would be quite a nice idea too. :)
  • Options
    Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A new telephone would be quite a nice idea too.

One cannot get rid of the most consistent thing about the programme! Although the telephone ring sounded different in the earliest programmes, better I think.

The chair, the table top, the desks, the board, the rear panels, the lighting, the light poles, the floor colouring, the music, the graphics and even the type of contestants have all changed since the programme started, the famous telephone is the only original item left!

Which reminds me, Noel, please cease referring to west and east wings, there is no need for it, instead return to using the titles; Crazy Chair and Pound Table, I liked those.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are some of the things I do get sick of:

1. 1p Kiss - We have already seen this about 500 times. I hate it when Noel makes a big fuss about it. Oh and two blokes kissing each other is NOT funny anymore! :mad:
    2. Death Box 22 - Why? It's just a cardboard box like the other 21.
    3. Curse of the Newbie - SHUT UP! Most of the time I've seen blues out of their boxes lately. :mad:
    4. "I hope it's a blue / red." I'm so bloody sick of people saying this now.
    5. Players giving unnecessary long tributes. No one cares! Just open the box already!
    6. "I'm leaving box X to the end because [insert stupid reason here]."
    7. "I have a good / bad feeling about this box." Why?! It's just a f***ing CARDBOARD BOX! :mad:
    8. "What did you have in box X yesterday?" Why does that even matter?! Just because someone had £250k yesterday does not mean it'll happen again. It's called RANDOM! Look it up Noel! :rolleyes:
    9. "BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE..." aka THAT chant - Noel called this moronic at one point yet some people insist on doing it! :mad:
    10. Players who can't read the board and say stupid rubbish like "that's a good offer."
    11. "Do you have a system?" THERE IS NO SYSTEM TO OPENING BOXES! :mad:
    12. Banker ringing at points that are not 17, 14, 11, 8, 5 or 2-box.
    13. Noel interrupting the game mid-round to discuss the players' dreams. Can't that wait until the offer?!
    14. "Sweet cheeks." STOP... CALLING... JODIE... THAT!! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. 1p Kiss - We have already seen this about 500 times. I hate it when Noel makes a big fuss about it. Oh and two blokes kissing each other is NOT funny anymore! :mad:
    3. Curse of the Newbie - SHUT UP! Most of the time I've seen blues out of their boxes lately. :mad:
    5. Players giving unnecessary long tributes. No one cares! Just open the box already!
    7. "I have a good / bad feeling about this box." Why?! It's just a f***ing CARDBOARD BOX! :mad:
    8. "What did you have in box X yesterday?" Why does that even matter?! Just because someone had £250k yesterday does not mean it'll happen again. It's called RANDOM! Look it up Noel! :rolleyes:
    9. "BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE..." aka THAT chant - Noel called this moronic at one point yet some people insist on doing it! :mad:
    10. Players who can't read the board and say stupid rubbish like "that's a good offer."
    13. Noel interrupting the game mid-round to discuss the players' dreams. Can't that wait until the offer?!

Great GCT - I have been trying to think of something you have missed, but have not come up with anything.

No. 14 - Yes I agree about Jodie - as the father of four girls he should know better. He has kept this going with her for too long now - so it now time to STOP IT NOEL!

No. 9 - I have noticed the dreaded blue chant creeping in again - time to STOP that again too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which reminds me, Noel, please cease referring to west and east wings, there is no need for it, instead return to using the titles; Crazy Chair and Pound Table, I liked those.

Pound Table? I've watched virtually every single DOND bar a handful and cannot recall that term ever being used. It must have been a very long time ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pound Table? I've watched virtually every single DOND bar a handful and cannot recall that term ever being used. It must have been a very long time ago.

Yes it was during 2005 and 2006, he didn't use it as often as Crazy Chair. He also said obvious things such as 'Now we know that [sum of money] is not in your box'. The West/East Wing thing started quite early on as did the swap option (of which I disagree with the use of).

GoCompareThis: I agree with all the points you have made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some great points raised here.
    I particularly like GoCompare's point number 4. THEY AREN'T GONNA HOPE IT'S A BIG RED ARE THEY???
    If we get away from DOND going to go back to 45 minutes, it'll never happen - purely for revenue purposes - there are still some pretty fundamentally straightforward changes they could make to DOND to arrest the slide.
    Firstly, Noel needs to pipe down. I saw an old DOND on Challenge earlier today and he was so much more natural and likeable (and I like Noel, I've met him at a charity do and he was a nice guy) but he is trying way too hard now.
    Secondly, get some normal players on. People like us. Not people who want to be the next Olly Murs.
    Thirdly, get players on who are willing to gamble. There is absolutely nothing entertaining about a new father bailing out at £10k when there's still big numbers there because HE NEEDS TO DO THE RIGHT THING BY BABY LIAM.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Lazy post-production by the BBC or lazy editing by whoever cuts DOND repeats for Challenge I'd wager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some great points raised here.
    I particularly like GoCompare's point number 4. THEY AREN'T GONNA HOPE IT'S A BIG RED ARE THEY???
    If we get away from DOND going to go back to 45 minutes, it'll never happen - purely for revenue purposes - there are still some pretty fundamentally straightforward changes they could make to DOND to arrest the slide.
    Firstly, Noel needs to pipe down. I saw an old DOND on Challenge earlier today and he was so much more natural and likeable (and I like Noel, I've met him at a charity do and he was a nice guy) but he is trying way too hard now.
    Secondly, get some normal players on. People like us. Not people who want to be the next Olly Murs.
    Thirdly, get players on who are willing to gamble. There is absolutely nothing entertaining about a new father bailing out at £10k when there's still big numbers there because HE NEEDS TO DO THE RIGHT THING BY BABY LIAM.

A couple of good points here I think. The Noel one is spot on. There have been times when I have felt embarrassed for him recently for being so demented. I like him too, but it is a bit forced. He's probably been directed to be more "flamboyant".

Olly Murs. The mere name makes me grate. There is no doubt about this effect, either on the people playing, or on the show. It's almost as if DOND considers itself the show that found a major talent. It didn't, and he (Murs) isn't. When the chap came on a few months back playing guitar like an everyday busker it was clear what was going on. But I'd like to draw a more curious point about Murs, from his appearance back in 2007. At the time he played, and chatted with Noel, did he once mention any interest in music, and specifically singing? I don't recall him doing so. Funny that would you not say? He was nothing more than a media opportunist who got lucky, based only through personality and a cheeky look about him, no more.

Regards all the cliches that pervade DOND each game, I'm very surprised the director has not clamped down on such things. After all, Noel did say that Iris had to be told 3 times about the use of her language in the recent game!
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member

I do agree with point Number 1. Its stupid having a 1p kiss, it wasnt funny when its was first done and its not funny now. Its tedious.

Which brings me to one point you missed.. 15) The shows too long and tedious.

• Options
    MarrooMarroo Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16. Everyone is everyone else's best mate / top bloke / legend , after only knowing each other for a couple of weeks ! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marroo wrote: »
    16. Everyone is everyone else's best mate / top bloke / legend , after only knowing each other for a couple of weeks ! :rolleyes:

Good one Marroo - it seems to become one big love-in over a very short time and I don't think it even extends to a couple of weeks that they are together. Of course, we have to take into account that day by day their numbers and 'life-long friends' diminish (depending on the amount of games played on a particular day), and then newbies join in.

It would be interesting to know just how many forever friends have resulted from the show. There must surely be at least one person who has been on DEAL and who is also a contributor or lurker to this thread! :)
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm. Sadly you are tired of the show itself you have to admit. If all those things are bothering you Id stick to the Chase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marroo wrote: »

Now this is the classic methodology associated within cults!

In the real world it is just so un-natural. Nobody has ever spoken to me like some of these people do on DOND who have just met at a hotel. I wish they would....but mean it!

17) When Noel starts the show, he always says, "........and just one question, Welcome to Deal Or No Deal" and music plays. Well it may be minor, but it has always bugged me. The "just one question" is not "welcome to Deal Or No Deal" it's simply "Deal Or No Deal?". I do wish he'd drop the "welcome to" part of the opening.

There has also never been any explanation as to why the pilgrims have to wear mainly dark or black clothing? It was not like that at the start. It's a bid odd. It doesn't create extra atmosphere in doing so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    N17) When Noel starts the show, he always says, "........and just one question, Welcome to Deal Or No Deal" and music plays. Well it may be minor, but it has always bugged me. The "just one question" is not "welcome to Deal Or No Deal" it's simply "Deal Or No Deal?". I do wish he'd drop the "welcome to" part of the opening.

The original opening line was the much better and more interesting somehow "A quarter of a million pounds [BOOM], 22 identical sealed boxes [BOOM] and no questions. Except one: Deal or No Deal?".
    There has also never been any explanation as to why the pilgrims have to wear mainly dark or black clothing? It was not like that at the start. It's a bid odd. It doesn't create extra atmosphere in doing so.

The audience began wearing mostly black around mid 2006, around the same time the more colourful lighting began to feature on the set. Maybe the idea was to make the set look brighter in comparison. Of course, now the set lighting is blue and red with a mostly black floor, the whole set seems to be much darker now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of good points here I think. The Noel one is spot on. There have been times when I have felt embarrassed for him recently for being so demented. I like him too, but it is a bit forced. He's probably been directed to be more "flamboyant".

Olly Murs. The mere name makes me grate. There is no doubt about this effect, either on the people playing, or on the show. It's almost as if DOND considers itself the show that found a major talent. It didn't, and he (Murs) isn't. When the chap came on a few months back playing guitar like an everyday busker it was clear what was going on. But I'd like to draw a more curious point about Murs, from his appearance back in 2007. At the time he played, and chatted with Noel, did he once mention any interest in music, and specifically singing? I don't recall him doing so. Funny that would you not say? He was nothing more than a media opportunist who got lucky, based only through personality and a cheeky look about him, no more.

Regards all the cliches that pervade DOND each game, I'm very surprised the director has not clamped down on such things. After all, Noel did say that Iris had to be told 3 times about the use of her language in the recent game!

Olly Murs should never have came back for a second go. Channel 4's range of celebrites on the celebrity editions is very narrow. There were quite a few celebrity editions last year but hardly any this year. Have we already seen the last of the celebrity editions?

Channel 4 forget that we don't care about talent show acts. Only how the game goes and how much money they win, lose or miss out on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olly Murs should never have came back for a second go. Channel 4's range of celebrites on the celebrity editions is very narrow. There were quite a few celebrity editions last year but hardly any this year. Have we already seen the last of the celebrity editions?

Channel 4 forget that we don't care about talent show acts. Only how the game goes and how much money they win, lose or miss out on.

It would infact be more interesting and amusing, with genuine banter, if Noel was allowed to invite some of his own "celebrity" friends and colleagues down the years, most of whom are household names to this day. Cheggers would be enjoyable from his Swap Shop days for example. Also, as I've said previously, Tony Blackburn from his Radio 1 and Top Of The Pops days would be fun too. Just to name two.

What I cannot abide is the likes of people like Katie Price & Peter Andre showing up on these shows and having all her flunkies around the edge opening boxes. Very off putting. I'll grant them one exception. Joan Collins was a coup to get. If they were infrequent and of that calibre I'd have no qualms. But spare any further people from the easy to reach channel 4 payroll.

And of course, every single time that Noel says "and this will be the ONE and ONLY time you will EVER play Deal Or No Deal" I immediately think Murs, and sigh. His re-appearance was a low point for the show, especially at the end with the "Me Me Me!" promo. How charitable that was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just find it such a shame that the two blindingly obvious things that would really help DOND will never happen for commercial reasons: (a) back to 45 mins and (b) give it a long break sometime during the year. It's now simply on too often and for too long. Allied to that the stupid policy of picking so-called entertaining players over "real" people and its just got too bloated, too self-indulgent.

I've noticed something: they keep the more interesting characters in the wings for much longer than others; but this doesn't mean they have to complete tossers out of the Guiseppe (remember him?) mould. Just recently they had a guy called Gary (iirc) who turned out to be a falconer, a really nice bloke and the sort of person DOND should be aspiring to have as contestants. The production team could obviously see he had that je ne sais quoi quality - as did £100k Roy - because he was heavily post-production'd on screen, but he wasn't a d*ck or a self-promoter or an arrogant tit.

THEY ARE OUT THERE!! Let's have more of them please DOND.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to resume the Box Game I suppose for the week commencing 24th June. :)

Box No17
This discussion has been closed.