BBC iPlayer Downloads - latest version V1.11.0 will not install

Anyone else having problems installing the mandatory upgrade to V1.11.0 ? or have any thoughts/suggestions on what to try to fix this problem ?

I'm running WinXP/SP3 with everything (incl flash player) fully updated yet whilst previous versions work without significant issue, this latest version will not install no matter what I try. All I get is what is perhaps the most unhelpful error message ever: "BBC iPlayer Downloads Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error ..."

It's bad enough that the BBC requires the use of a poor quality proprietary application in the first place but to effectively disable a fully working version quite deliberately to force an upgrade that will not work because it can't even be installed is quite ridiculous. I've no idea what old version I actually have but it works just fine other than for the fact that the "must upgrade now" message fills the entire window because they're attempting to prevent any sensible use of iplayer unless the upgrade is installed. All well and good until you find that the upgrade will not install of course, the message will presumably not go away until you've upgraded and all your downloads are therefore totally hidden behind the stupid message that you can't get rid of ! Preventing iplayer checking for upgrades on start-up means the old version is still just about usable for the time being but how long before BBC disable/break it I don't know.

I've tried repairing/reinstalling the old version. I've tried uninstalling the old version. I've tried in safe mode and ensuring admin rights. I've tried completely disabling A/V and F/W. I've tried upgrading Windows MSI to V4.5. I've tried no end of other dubious things. Nothing makes any difference whatsoever. The old version still installs and works as intended. The latest mandatory upgrade version still refuses to install. It's driving me completely nuts >:(

Comments

• SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's because your OS is too old? WinXP is obsolete and no longer supported even by Microsoft, so it wouldn't be all that surprising if the BBC have decided not to support it with new releases of iPlayer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    quoted directly from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install
    System Requirements
    Windows

Windows 8
    Windows 7
    Windows Vista
    Windows XP

Mac

OS X 10.9
    OS X 10.8
    OS X 10.7
    OS X 10.6

... although I do fully take your point needless to say :) However, should the BBC wish to buy me a new PC and/or OS just so that they can easily produce yet another version of their cr@ppy and totally unnecessary proprietary app then I would be absolutely delighted to accept it of course ;-) Few things pee me off more than being continually forced down the *must* upgrade and replace perfectly adequate and usable stuff on a ridiculously regular basis route for no particularly good reason other than just to ensure that someone somewhere makes a shedload of do$h !
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    ambrougham wrote: »
    Few things pee me off more than being continually forced down the *must* upgrade and replace perfectly adequate and usable stuff on a ridiculously regular basis route for no particularly good reason other than just to ensure that someone somewhere makes a shedload of do$h !
    I agree and sympathize, but sometimes it's not just the dosh. Supporting older systems with new software can end up being more trouble than it's worth. It's a pity the BBC decided to change the iPlayer protocols though, that's what's broken all the old apps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but ... it's (almost) *always* about the do$h :lol:

More often than not it's a case of changes for changes sake rather than changes that are strictly necessary or even desirable. Any excuse to change something, add significant spin in an attempt to justify it in one way or another and then obsolete the previous version and/or stop supporting the hardware it runs on. End result - everyone suddenly has to spend a shedload of do$h to keep doing what they've been doing for ages ! At the simple click of a finger, the likes of Microsoft and Adobe et al can instantly make fully functional and totally usable systems effectively paper-weights thus forcing users to upgrade everything or move to linux or whatever. There is nothing the shiniest newest go-faster PC and OS can do for me that Ye Olde PC can't already do perfectly well, albeit significantly slower and perhaps not so nicely etc. It's a massive con job and anyone producing hardware and software has it off to a fine art. What I still fail to understand is how virtually everyone got sucked into accepting it as being the 'norm' to just bend over and get screwed senseless by companies who's only interest is in getting their grubby mits on as much of your hard earned as they possibly can do as often as they can do !

Anyways, putting the soapbox swiftly away and getting back to the subject in hand:

I still have absolutely no idea what the stupid problem actually is here ... but I think I've at least managed to hack and bodge my way around it manually :D There's quite clearly absolutely nothing fundamentally wrong or any remote reason (let alone a good reason) why it refuses to install on my system using the normal procedure. It can only be down to a poorly configured install program or cr@p software in general.

Only time will tell if it's a successful solution long-term mind you but it currently appears to work exactly as it should do. In fact I now have both the old and new versions installed side-by-side sharing the same data and both work exactly as they should do, ignoring the poxy "must upgrade now" issue with the old version anyway.

It's not overly clever or complex but I'm not going to post details of what I've actually done just in case Mr.BBC is watching, doesn't like it and somehow tries to prevent any bypassing of the official means of installation in future. However, if anyone finds themselves in a similar position to me and can't install iplayer by simply running the .msi then give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to help out if I possibly can do :)