Options

The FA Cup 2014/15

Comments

• Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This made me smile with the amount of times they showed the children on the floor, or other people in the crowd. What were they hoping they would do? Scream 'Yes! We've got (Team X) away'

At least the one child had the 'V sign' the right way around :D

It was also fun to see the rictus grins on the faces of the club officials after their sides failed to secure the big ties they were hoping for. :D
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday Night at 7pm for the draw, is also a good slot for the Radio, asit happens during the Monday Night Club,

As Mark Chapman presents that anyway, and it can then be disscussed.

Will the draws eventuallybcome from Salford
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monday Night at 7pm for the draw, is also a good slot for the Radio, asit happens during the Monday Night Club,

As Mark Chapman presents that anyway, and it can then be disscussed.

Will the draws eventuallybcome from Salford

Tonight's 30 min on BBC2 wasn't simulcast on 5Live like MOTD2 Extra like I thought they might. Caroline Barker replaced Mark Chapman as the Monday night host on 5Live.

The draw will be held in different venues each time apparently.
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am i right in thinking the bbc are live streaming video of lots of the games online?
    This hasn't been announced, however there is no reason I can see BT, The FA and the BBC couldn't agree to allowing the 8 Sunday final score special games during round 1 and 2 to be streamed on the BBC website. Each game would sure have more appeal than the 4th choice tennis match going on at Wimbledon at a given time, as each game would have at least have great interest in two localised areas of the UK. It would also proved an important experiment for both the BBC and The FA. Would be a good brag for BBC local radio which could claim to have live video coverage on their websites too.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That logic doesn't make sense at all. The same proportion (1 in 5) of PL games take place every Sunday but we wouldn't expect to wait til then for highlights. If anything, with the Sunday Final Score showing goals as they go in, there's a much stronger argument for highlights on only the Saturday and not on the Sunday.

And of course they have a Sunday MotD to cover those Prem games.

The only way to do a highlights show of Saturday would be to do it after MotD and the Championship FLS which are already late because of the Remembrance Festival. Is it really better to show the highlights at 1am Sunday than 6:30pm? When you also get to cover the 8 games Sunday with the latter.
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    And of course they have a Sunday MotD to cover those Prem games.

The only way to do a highlights show of Saturday would be to do it after MotD and the Championship FLS which are already late because of the Remembrance Festival. Is it really better to show the highlights at 1am Sunday than 6:30pm? When you also get to cover the 8 games Sunday with the latter.

If the schedules really are too packed for Saturday evening highlights on the 'linear' channels then the most logical thing would be a Sunday morning highlights show and a Sunday evening highlights show. The red button and the website are perfect for goal clips but there should still be proper old-fashioned highlights programming regardless of other events on that weekend.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the schedules really are too packed for Saturday evening highlights on the 'linear' channels then the most logical thing would be a Sunday morning highlights show and a Sunday evening highlights show. The red button and the website are perfect for goal clips but there should still be proper old-fashioned highlights programming regardless of other events on that weekend.

The Sunday Morning Hlighlights would have to go onto BBC2, as BBC1 have the Andrew Marr sho, and on this particular Sunday The Rembrance service
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look back a couple of pages, you will find that they will be on Sunday morning from 6.30am to 8.00am on BBC Two.

Plus they'll be on the BBC website and the IPlayer.

I think you will find it is at 1800 and not 0600 !!!
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some cracking ties but the standout has to be Barnet v Wycombe who are top of their divisions. BT I guess go for Halifax ( if they get through) v Bradford city & a real romantic tie Basingstoke or Harrow Borough v Spennymoor or Telford.

As for the 8 BBC goal flash games then maybe,

Tranmere v Bristol Rovers, Peterborough v Carlisle, Luton v Newport, Notts County v Accrington Stanley, Crewe v Sheffield Utd, York v AFC Wimbledon, Forrest Green v Scunthope, Canvey Island or Havant & Waterlooville v Preston
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    Some cracking ties but the standout has to be Barnet v Wycombe who are top of their divisions. BT I guess go for Halifax ( if they get through) v Bradford city & a real romantic tie Basingstoke or Harrow Borough v Spennymoor or Telford.

As for the 8 BBC goal flash games then maybe,

Tranmere v Bristol Rovers, Peterborough v Carlisle, Luton v Newport, Notts County v Accrington Stanley, Crewe v Sheffield Utd, York v AFC Wimbledon, Forrest Green v Scunthope, Canvey Island or Havant & Waterlooville v Preston

For live games, I'd have thought the TV companies would be looking at League 1 clubs away at non-league grounds, which would bring ties such as Chorley or Halifax v Bradford, Forest Green v Scunthorpe, Canvey Island or Havant v Preston, Gosport v Colchester and Weston-Super-Mare v Doncaster into the mix. There is no way an all non-league clash, such as Basinsgstoke or Harrow v Spennymoor or Telford will be televised live; but may be a Sunday 2pm BBC goal flash match at a push.

As for the 8 Sunday 2pm games, ties such as Barnet v Wycombe and Cheltenham v Swindon - with the higher division club away - ought to be considered.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What like ITV did and have been criticised for doing?

Until replays are scrapped and games are played on weekends only, it will never be possible to conduct the draw before every game has concluded.

Does it matter if there are a few games still not played when the draw is made?
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definately think that a mixture of ties will be covered in the 8 BBC Sunday matches. There is only one thing to cover with the "non league v league" ties with the non league side at home.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portsmouth v Aldershot might be shown as its a Hants derby, plus with potentially Portsmouth, Gosport and Havant all at home I can't see them all being allowed to play at the same time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Gosport v Colchester
    Weston Super Mare v Doncaster

Go to weston loads but cant say I have come across there ground, couldnt tell you if they could get camera trucks near

Ground is not near the sea front but would not be any problem should TV wish to cover our game. Video will give folks some idea
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SORTSithfA#t=31
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter if there are a few games still not played when the draw is made?

No. I preferred when the draw was after a live game on a Sunday as it's more immediate and you're not waiting around another day like now. I'm just commenting on the point people have been raising about having the draw on Sunday after ITV's game in the past, complaining that there were still games to be played. That will almost always be the case.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the talk these days of grass roots, get inspired etc,
    A shame that the last qualifying round did not have even a highlights show, considering the Conference gets live broadcasts these days,

Would anyone seriously expect full coverage of the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup? The clue's in the title, it's a qualifying round, not the competition itself. If you get on the telly for being in that, where's the incentive to qualify for the competition proper?
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    An all non league tie won't be on TV and likely won't be considered for the 8 game Final Score 2pm treatment either. Haven't Havant and Canvey Island got previous records of knocking out league clubs? If so, regardless of who wins that replay, them at home to Preston has to stand a pretty good chance of being shown live (or certainly 1 of the 8 Sunday 2pm Final Score games)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Havant had a tie away at Liverpool quite recently

The lowest ranked team Warrington are managed by Peter Reids brother

So Warrington v Exeter has a very good chance
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11 of the 12 replays are on tonight

I guess Tv Companies will announce their decisions on Thursday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    Havant had a tie away at Liverpool quite recently

The lowest ranked team Warrington are managed by Peter Reids brother

So Warrington v Exeter has a very good chance

That would be my choice along with Halifax v Bradford (IF it turns out that way of course!). As for the third tie, there are a number on offer and I really couldn't say which would get the nod as it would probably rely on logistics more than anything.

On the coverage of the draw itself last night, I thought it was a solid half hour show. Not too much padding, didn't overdo the cliche (I hate the use of the word romance in association with the FA Cup) and SGP was a nice change from the stuffy, drab Wembley room. So far so good. Was it simulcast anywhere else on TV (SportsHUB)?
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Regardless of Peter Reid's brother, Warrington v Exeter fulfils the obvious TV criteria, ie non league at home to league, doubly so with it being the lowest ranked team as well. If Halifax win tonight then Halifax v Bradford is nailed on in my view. The other game I think will be Canvey Island/Havant v Preston or Weston Super-Mare v Doncaster. At a push, maybe Gosport v Colchester.

With all due respect to sparkie70, the only 2/3 games from the 8 he mentioned that might be the Sunday 2pm Final Score games are Crewe v Sheff Utd (purely as Sheff Utd are probably the biggest team in at this stage), Forest Green v Scunthorpe due to non league at home to league, and Canvey/Havant v Preston (but that could be a live game anyway). The rest you mentioned are totally uninteresting in my view, most are L1 at home to L2 or 2 L2 teams playing each other which won't appeal to anyone other than fans of those 2 teams. York v AFC Wimbledon for example certainly don't scream "the magic of the FA Cup" to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confirmed So Far

League 1 10 Home 14 Away
    League 2 14 Home 10 Away

Conference 3 Home 7 Away

6th Tier 3 Home 3 Away
    Gosport v Colchester
    Weston Super Mare v Doncaster
    Bromley v Dartford

7th Tier 1 Home 2 Away
    Blyth Spartans v Altringham
    Stevenage v Maidstone
    Hartlepool v East Thurrock

8th Tier 1 Home
    Warrington v Exeter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These 4 Replays are the significant ones now that the Draw has been done

FC Halifax Town V Chorley
    Braintree Town V Weymouth
    Havant & Waterlooville V Canvey Island
    Barnet V Chelmsford City
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the fact there are internationals that weekend, so they definately wouldn't have had the whole thing to themselves.

Before anyone pipes up with "the queen might die" it is also not unrealistic to expect games to be postponed because of international duty.

As is the case for the replays.

Other than a Welsh Premier League match there is no live football in that 2.00 till 4.00 slot on November 16th. How many FA Cup games would have been cancelled because of internationals? None probably. There's a full league one / two programme scheduled to go ahead.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Other than a Welsh Premier League match there is no live football in that 2.00 till 4.00 slot on November 16th. How many FA Cup games would have been cancelled because of internationals? None probably. There's a full league one / two programme scheduled to go ahead.

Any advantage you gain from it not going up against Premier League matches, though, is offset by the disadvantage of people who usually only watch the Premier League not hearing about it. When there's no Premier League football Soccer Saturday's audience is halved, so you're being exposed to far fewer casual viewers. As it is now, you switch on to Final Score or Soccer Saturday for the Premier League and get the FA Cup as well. Otherwise you might not switch on at all.