Broadchurch - Series 2

Comments

• Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Off topic - but the Tunnel hooked me instantly. and I watched all the way through and ABSOLUTELY HATED the end of it. I man REALLY REALLY hated it, shouting at the TV and stomping around the room type of hate.

Oh no, really? Is it because
    The killer kills himself? Or because the son dies? Or because it's a bit Se7en-esque? I'm curious now!
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Yet quite an expensive taxi ride from West Bay to Bournemouth;-)

I am sure you are right about Joe, he kept saying he had been found innocent with a bemused look on his face.
    iamian wrote: »

True; but the whole thing was fantasy, so ....... ;-)

However, in real life, Dorchester South could have been better - train to Waterloo then train to Sheffield. http://www.westbay.co.uk/location.php
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,503
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Apparently, I have been told, traces of rohypnol disappear from the system very quickly, there can be no trace very quickly.
    But if it is a dead body there are no metabolic processes to eliminate foreign substances. It will be a snapshot of the state of the body at the time of death.
  • VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northgirl wrote: »
    Hardy explained that the drug goes out of the system and thus not finding the body for days and in water meant no drug found.

Thank you for answering :)

I just dont understand how a drug can leave the body when all natural functions are shut down, i.e. dead. We don't digest when we are dead. And the stomach seemed to be intact.

Edit. I have just searched for Rohypnol, and it turns out that drug is the slowest of all its equal drugs to pass through the system. One tablet can be detected in the urine five days after intake, and sometimes up to one month.

But, that's ok, I shall not nag on this :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    But if it is a dead body there are no metabolic processes to eliminate foreign substances. It will be a snapshot of the state of the body at the time of death.

Sorry, didn't see your post. You are right, that was my point too.:)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,503
    Forum Member
    You don't watch Silent Witness for years without picking up some of the basic principles of physiology during and after death. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mustard99 wrote: »
    I would watch a Hardy and Miller offshoot. He is all emotion and has an ability to read people really well. She is all evidence and fact - great combo.

Hardy didn't actually provide that much reliable evidence for Broadchurch 1. Though I guess when you have a confession you don't go too far down the evidence route. Miller completely missed the fact that she was living with the murderer - low EQ.

Hardy and Miller - yin yang cops.

Yes. And since it always seems to be the other way around re men and women in movies, I like this.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have quite literally binge watched series 1 and 2 of this

totally loved series 1 - was absolutely hooked

series 2 I did find my concentration wandering just a little, in my opinion there were too many court scenes but I understand the need for them

I knew Joe would be found not guilty and I knew that Claire, Lee and Gillespie were responsible for the Sandbrook murders, I just wasnt entirely sure which one was guilty of what part - if that makes sense - that was very cleverly written

looking forward to series 3 but Im not sure where they are going to go with it.......

Possibly proving that Joe is innocent and didnt actually kill Danny............
  • MajorkeyMajorkey Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    The adrenaline - the fake sort experienced by the cast and the real as experienced by the audience - of the final episode should not be allowed to mask the tedium and cul-de-sac subplots of the preceding 7 episodes. In fact, the series could have been distilled to 4 episodes with nothing relevant missed.

The barrister and the newspaper editor are...lesbians! And in love! What does it have to do with the plot or the price of eggs? Absolutely nothing. But hey a tacked-on PC angle is good for a critical pat on the head eh? On the straight side of the fence, the junior barrister/news reporter coupling likewise led nowhere.

For someone whose eyesight is failing rapidly, and who has wanted nothing but seclusion from the off, the barrister now wants to extend her legal career and join Mighty Mouth, her former apprentice? Words can't express how uninteresting the 'banged-up son' subplot has been even with his mysterious swollen eye. And since keeping him in prison offers no dramatic avenues, it's obvious he will eventually be freed by The Clever Heroic Legal Eagles.

The ending/explanation was strictly Deus Ex Machina.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majorkey wrote: »
    On the straight side of the fence, the junior barrister/news reporter coupling likewise led nowhere.

That was how Abby got the information about Ellie giving Lucy a cheque for £1,000 on the day of Joe's arrest which the defence used in court to suggest that Ellie had set Joe up, and perhaps one of the factors in his acquittal. I don't think Abby was ever interested in Olly personally, so once she had what she wanted they were over.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only just caught up with the final, so deliberately haven't looked at this thread until now. Generally I found the Sandbrooke case was tedious and just 'muddied the waters', and I didn't much care what the outcome about that was one way or other.

Better perhaps if Joe's court case had been wrapped up in episode 1 and the rest of the series based on was he really innocent/guilty? Because let's be honest we still don't really know, do we? Or perhaps that will be series 3!!!
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Better perhaps if Joe's court case had been wrapped up in episode 1 and the rest of the series based on was he really innocent/guilty? Because let's be honest we still don't really know, do we?
    Why do you think it is not clear that he killed Danny? :confused: It's really not complicated.

Due to his Not Guilty plea, the court case was about evidence proving, to the satisfaction of the jury, if he was guilty or not. The jury wasn't convinced. Aside of that rigmarole, his confession still stands for viewers (and the town :D) regardless of silliness around the judge excluding it on the basis that his wife kicked his ass some hours after the confession. So viewers do know that Joe killed Danny.

I find it odd that I skipped several episodes because they were dull and the show is generally mediocre but I still seem to have a better grasp of what happened than most of the fans. :confused:
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who were those 2 lads that stormed in and took Joe off? Couldn't get a proper look!
    rockjack wrote: »
    I thought Ricky was Lisa dad - confused.

Why would Lisa say he want to shag her
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Why did Claire have a key to the Gillespie house and say. I'm home when she came in...... And why was lee in their house rather than in his own house next door ?
    Is Ricky Pippa's uncle too? I presume her and Lisa were sisters and where actually were their parents supposed to be? Has it been mentioned if they're alive?
    What did they do with Lisa's body? Missed that bit
    malaikah wrote: »
    Who or what was buried in the grave ??
    I think Lee burned it in the furnace.
    I thought he was poking about in a fire. :o Must have lost concentration at that point.

Just a few reasons why people should watch these programmes and chat about them later. So many crucial bits of detail missed.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    True; but the whole thing was fantasy, so ....... ;-)

However, in real life, Dorchester South could have been better - train to Waterloo then train to Sheffield. http://www.westbay.co.uk/location.php

perhaps he was going via birmingham not london
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Joe walked past everyone I wish he had looked across at Tom and there was like a little nod between them or something, just...SOMETHING to make the whole series ending more interesting!!
  • LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    ... Giggling again here. How often do you see headlines like: NO Series 3 of Broadchurch... some posters on Digital Spy didn't like it much. Ratings are what matters, not opinions here..

To be fair, I said "I don't want negative comments on boards like this to threaten a future series". I wasn't being specific about Digital Spy. You're probably right that forum feedback might not have any significant impact on a decision to recommission a series. However, I think that negative comments for the sake of them (which is often the case) are disrespectful to all those who work hard to make an enjoyable drama series like this. After all, there's a hell of lot worse on TV!

I hate EastEnders because it always seems to be unmitigated misery. However, I don't go on the EastEnders forum to moan about it; I simply don't watch it. I appreciate that millions do enjoy it and that the standard of acting, etc is very high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    That was how Abby got the information about Ellie giving Lucy a cheque for £1,000 on the day of Joe's arrest which the defence used in court to suggest that Ellie had set Joe up, and perhaps one of the factors in his acquittal. I don't think Abby was ever interested in Olly personally, so once she had what she wanted they were over.

Abby will be working for many more years. If she continues to sleep with witnesses in order to receive information, she will end up with some nasty STD. And maybe a couple of kids.
  • HildasMurielHildasMuriel Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Janey_Bee wrote: »
    Oh no, really? Is it because
    The killer kills himself? Or because the son dies? Or because it's a bit Se7en-esque? I'm curious now!

Sort of -
    I was really sad the son died and he and his dad had been at odds so much through the
    series. Then I started thinking - the Police may as well NOT have investigated the crime, as they made NO difference to the outcome. The killer still killed everybody he intended to, in each and every way he intended to and it ended just they way he wanted it to.
    The more cross I got, the more I thought it through and realised the killer must have been omnipotent - always in exactly the right place at the exact time and every thing fell in to place for him and the police never got any of the breaks - and ooooooh - it was frustrating! And the son died :(
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Layzeegoat wrote: »
    To be fair, I said "I don't want negative comments on boards like this to threaten a future series". I wasn't being specific about Digital Spy. You're probably right that forum feedback might not have any significant impact on a decision to recommission a series.

fret not. ITV will only care if/when the viewing figures are down for series 3
    http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/david-tennant-and-olivia-colman-will-return-for-broadchurch-season-3
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    I have quite literally binge watched series 1 and 2 of this

totally loved series 1 - was absolutely hooked

series 2 I did find my concentration wandering just a little, in my opinion there were too many court scenes but I understand the need for them

I knew Joe would be found not guilty and I knew that Claire, Lee and Gillespie were responsible for the Sandbrook murders, I just wasnt entirely sure which one was guilty of what part - if that makes sense - that was very cleverly written

looking forward to series 3 but Im not sure where they are going to go with it.......

Possibly proving that Joe is innocent and didnt actually kill Danny............

Maybe centering on finding out who did kill Danny
  • HildasMurielHildasMuriel Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Maybe centering on finding out who did kill Danny

:o Wha????

Oh, right, a joke.:D
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am baffled by any post suggesting that Joe didn't do it.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    fret not. ITV will only care if/when the viewing figures are down for series 3
    http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/david-tennant-and-olivia-colman-will-return-for-broadchurch-season-3

Who knows, series 3 might be brilliant, and ratings will soar!
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Layzeegoat wrote: »
    I hate EastEnders because it always seems to be unmitigated misery. However, I don't go on the EastEnders forum to moan about it; I simply don't watch it. I appreciate that millions do enjoy it and that the standard of acting, etc is very high.
    "How is Adam?" :o:D I don't like Eastenders either but you could hardly miss that clanger last week. I've had to sit through enough to know the acting is mostly OTT.

Unless you watch TV alone you have to sit through a lot you don't like. People should be free to comment negatively if that's how they felt.
  • iamianiamian Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Perhaps Bournemouth had a more direct service to Sheffield ? and they thought this was safer, rather than have him disappear en route....

In the past there were direct trains but in the current timetable you'd need to change at Birmingham New Street.

Broadchurch (as Bridport) lost its trains in 1975. These were branch-line trains to Maiden Newton.