Taking 'Treats' to the office, on your birthday

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This happened in the office today, the person whose birthday it was left a cake etc in the kitchen but then someone else complained about her setting the bar high (it's obviously her birthday next).

When it was mine I didn't bring anything in as I didn't know that it was the done thing, in fact they got me a cake.
  • Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This happened in the office today, the person whose birthday it was left a cake etc in the kitchen but then someone else complained about her setting the bar high (it's obviously her birthday next).

When it was mine I didn't bring anything in as I didn't know that it was the done thing, in fact they got me a cake.

This is exactly what should happen.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't have bothered me if they hadn't, I was a temporary member of staff barely in the job a wet weekend (contract is actually just about to end).

It wasn't the entire office though bought it though, just the HR team.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always taken something in for my birthday, usually it's cakes and other sweet treats but I have in the past ordered samosas which go down well.

As another poster has said it's important to get in there quick and get the best one! :)
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy birthday OP :)

Now where's my cake? :-D
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I hate this.

Why should YOU have to buy everyone else treats on your birthday? It should be the other way round with them buying you (and the est of the office) treats.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    jojo01 wrote: »
    Happy birthday OP :)

Now where's my cake? :-D

...thanks!!!

Took in a couple of those 'Celebration' chocs in the end - something for everyone!!!

+ Out for lunch with the boss today (no funny remarks - he's my brother!!!! :D:D) & meal and drinks tonight, day off tomorrow and out for a 'romantic childless' weekend with the Mrs on Saturday ;-) - all in all, a perfect birthday weekender!!!!
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have worked in quite a few offices in the past and have never known people take in cakes on their birthday. I wonder if it is a fairly new tradition as I know they do it where my son works. I wonder when this tradition started. Not good for people who are weight watching!
  • el1aineel1aine Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I could never afford to do it, it gets ridiculous in large offices.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my first job (started back in 1985 :blush:) there was a 'bring in cakes for your birthday' tradition, so it's not a particularly new thing!

It's different in different workplaces, where I work now is a large office and some departments do it, some don't.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband had never worked in an office until about 4yrs ago. He didn't know about the tradition of bringing in cakes, so he just kept his gob shut. He doesn't eat anyone else's cakes as he is a very fussy eater and he has never taken anything in.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have worked in quite a few offices in the past and have never known people take in cakes on their birthday. I wonder if it is a fairly new tradition as I know they do it where my son works. I wonder when this tradition started. Not good for people who are weight watching!

Tradition was always Doughnuts in both offices I worked.
    Doughnuts now seen as too fattening though -times change.

Cakes and Ethnic biscuits now - Soon it'll be fruit.:)
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I hate this.

Why should YOU have to buy everyone else treats on your birthday? It should be the other way round with them buying you (and the est of the office) treats.

Also a tradition of the person leaving for a new job buys the rounds.

or did I get conned ;)
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scottl wrote: »
    Tradition was always Doughnuts in both offices I worked.
    Doughnuts now seen as too fattening though -times change.

Cakes and Ethnic biscuits now - Soon it'll be fruit.:)

Some people take in fruit along with the cake. Most people then take a piece of cake and a few grapes, so no healthier, cos the cake still gets eaten :)

The best one was on a hot summer day the birthday person popped downstairs to the supermarket under our building and bought lots of tubs of ice cream and cones.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're fairly resistant to this sort of pressure in our office, except for one older woman who takes it upon herself to try and chivvy this sort of behaviour along.

I usually make a cake for anyone leaving the company for the lunch do we put on, and a very quiet guy I barely knew left after a short while. I quietly said to my boss that I didn't want to put several hours into making and decorating a cake for a virtual stranger, and privately he agreed. Then the older woman asked me publicly if I was doing it and I had to awkwardly refuse!

She also chases up on non contributors to present funds ignoring the fact that the only thing we all have in common is avoiding her social engineering!
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with this kind of thing as long as it's not "expected" you should join in.

In our office of just under 20 people the person who's birthday it was last gets a card for the next birthday person and collects £2 off everyone. The birthday person then brings in cakes or treats and then in return gets a card and collection.
  • Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She also chases up on non contributors to present funds ignoring the fact that the only thing we all have in common is avoiding her social engineering!

I was once 'forced' by my boss into going round collecting money for someone's birthday.

I went into the room of a notorious skinflint and asked him to contribute. He said that he wouldn't contribute as "I hear X is offended by money, so I won't offend him".

That's one to remember.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice man who sits next to me at work does this, you always feel slightly guilty taking a cake as he tends to ask everyone what type of cakes he likes.

He retires in six months and a couple of weeks ago he even brought in a box of Krispy Kreme donuts to celebrate this.

However I did ask him when his retirement do was so I booked my summer holiday the week later than intended
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on whether you take any of the 'treats' your co-workers provide yourself. If you do, it's only fair that you provide similar items for your own birthday. If you never take any yourself, then just ignore it.

I dont agree. I dont take treats in on my birthday and I dont expect people to bring them in on theirs. but if they do? well they are under no compunction to do so and I am under no compunction to say "no I wont as I didnt bring any in".
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    What a bizarre practice, OP. As far as I'm concerned it's nobody's effin' business when my birthday is. There's nothing to "celebrate" after 21 as far as I'm concerned and people should just get over themselves.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if you scoff everyone else's cakes and chocs on their birthdays. There is nothing worse than a tight fisted colleages who joins in on everyone else's stuff but ducks their own turn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    In my office some departments do the bring cakes in thing and others dont. I think it is fine if you want to celebrate your birthday but what I dont like is those who consider it to just another day made to celebrate their birthdays whether they like it or not.

We recently had a change around in the department I am in and there are a couple of people that feel that they have to know when everyones birthday is - they get the whole of the department to sign a card and it is expected that the birthday person brings cakes in. Several times I have arrived in the office and they have covered the birthday person desk in banners and balloons. Now I have no problem with that if it for the kind of person that likes that sort of thing but they dont seem to consider that not everyone wants that kind of attention.

I am begining dread my birthday in case they find out when it is! Luckily for me a few people know I dont celebrate my birthday so I am hoping that they will keep the birthday brigade at bay.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    I don't see why when it is my birthday I should provide the treats?

Surely as it is MY birthday people should be treating me?!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just an excuse for fat people to eat cakes, while pretending they're only doing it to be polite.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of miserable people on here :confused:

I tend to like people, I find it's easier to get through life that way. So I take any opportunity to make them happy I can, it's makes me happy. So on my birthday I will bring in some treats so we can all celebrate together - apart from the years when I forget! Absent minded :blush:

There's no obligation, no witch hunt if you don't bring anything in. People are different, some are on diets, a few strange souls don't even like cake or sweets :o We just get one with our lives and try to add a bit of happiness whenever we can.