I need so much sleep-wake up alarm ideas needed please.

Comments

• mazeymazey Posts: 136,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elliebee wrote:
    Have you tried banging your head on the pillow? For instance - if its 7oclock you need to wake, bang your head on the pillow 7 times. I know it sounds crazy but it has worked for me in the past when i haven't had the use of an alarm clock :)

:eek: No alarm clock? :eek:

Work days, I cannot imagine it. Weekends, no problem, get to sleep immediately; work days I cannot get to sleep, or sleep for few hours, wake up, then worry I will not hear alarms, as earlier posters said.
    I think I tried the head banging thing years ago, no longer do it, so cannot have worked, but I have some faith in the repetition of wake up time, sometimes it works, I still try it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    melanie34 wrote:
    Yes the only clock set at the right time is the computer :D

Oh now there was me thinking you would reply.......Its Chico time :)
  • bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I went for a snooze (funny that)at 5pm and decided to try the experiment- I banged my head 4 times on the pillow to wake me up for space cadets. I deliberately didn't set the video, as I figured that would not induce me to wake up if I knew it was being taped anyway. I woke up at 11pm :-( which is still better than the 14 hrs a night I've been doing recently lol. Except now I'm up in the middle of the night.

By the way, how many of you were born overdue? I was 3 weeks late and I read yrs ago that late babies need way more sleep as adults. I asked my mum, and she said the doctors told her I had just gone to sleep in the womb.Ahh.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elliebee wrote:
    Have you tried banging your head on the pillow? For instance - if its 7oclock you need to wake, bang your head on the pillow 7 times. I know it sounds crazy but it has worked for me in the past when i haven't had the use of an alarm clock :)

I do that :D I never have to use an alarm, and I have never been late for anything, I am one of those people who always arrive early for appointments lol It really gets on my wick when people always arrive late for everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, how many of you were born overdue? I was 3 weeks late and I read yrs ago that late babies need way more sleep as adults. I asked my mum, and she said the doctors told her I had just gone to sleep in the womb.Ahh.

Oooo, I was a few weeks late as well and didn't appear until 11.30 at night. I always say that's why I'm still a night owl :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and did you get the wrinkly skin as well with being late? apparently I had peeled all over, its an excess of vitamin B in late babies apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kizzie wrote:
    I do that :D I never have to use an alarm, and I have never been late for anything, I am one of those people who always arrive early for appointments lol It really gets on my wick when people always arrive late for everything.

strangely enough, it is only waking up I am ever late for. I have to be everywhere 20 mins ahead lol, I find when someone is late it shows little regard for the other person. I never make doctors / hairdresser appts/ meetings with friends til after 1pm whenever possible so even if I oversleep in the morning I am on time for them :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and did you get the wrinkly skin as well with being late? apparently I had peeled all over, its an excess of vitamin B in late babies apparently.

Going to have to ask my mum about that when I speak to her later today - interesting question since I know my elder bro was a bit late too.

To quote my mum: "There was no getting you out of there." :D

Edit: I do exactly the same thing with appointments as I really hate being late for anything. Even at work I like to turn up 15 minutes early.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those of you who can never get up. Did your mum always wake you up for school, and keep on waking you up every time you fell back to sleep ?
    As all my children had a hard time getting up. that is until I said to them " I will call you once" ! and that's it, If your late for school your problem. after that they did start to get up on time, and after a while never needed me to call them at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kizzie wrote:
    Those of you who can never get up. Did your mum always wake you up for school, and keep on waking you up every time you fell back to sleep ?
    As all my children had a hard time getting up. that is until I said to them " I will call you once" ! and that's it, If your late for school your problem. after that they did start to get up on time, and after a while never needed me to call them at all.

#
    I can't remember to be honest. I do remember I used to bang my shoes on the floor in my teens to pretend I was up. Less energy would have been exerted in just getting up.

But the weird thing is that in 20 yrs of working, I have never overslept for work like this before. I have always been a natural 11hrs a night gal so in a 9-5 job had to drag myself out of bed after three alarm calls etc, and had a conversation I dont remember having while sleeping on days off, or had to be dragged out of bed , but I used to fly for 13 yrs and did 17 hr shifts sometimes so expected to sleep heavily. And on a day off after a 17 hr flight nothing was getting me to wake up!that was normal.

but I have never overslept like this before. before, it took forever to get up, but i dragged myself up.now, no chance.What's weird is I have to be in work for 7, set my alarms for 5, 5.15,5.30 blah blah. And a couple of times the first I have known is getting a phone call from work asking where the hell I am. I've been thinking about it tonight, and have traced my major oversleeping occasions to periods of stress at work. Interesting ! It's as if my subconscious has been trying to stop me from going in. Ooh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edna wrote:
    Going to have to ask my mum about that when I speak to her later today - interesting question since I know my elder bro was a bit late too.

To quote my mum: "There was no getting you out of there." :D

Edit: I do exactly the same thing with appointments as I really hate being late for anything. Even at work I like to turn up 15 minutes early.

ask if you were hyperactive as a baby as well. My parents used to have to put carrot sacking around my cot to stop me getting out as I was majorly curious from a very young age . They used to have to drive me round in the car to get me to go to sleep. BUt then getting me up was a major problem. I'm sure mental hyperactivity plays a part with heavy sleepers as well, its as if its the mind's only chance to play catch up. While alert you don't want to sleep and miss out, but once your brain has got the chance to slow down it makes the most of it. Is this making sense?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #
    I can't remember to be honest. I do remember I used to bang my shoes on the floor in my teens to pretend I was up. Less energy would have been exerted in just getting up.

I'm beginning to feel like we were seperated at birth!

Since it's late and all these threads will get bumped down in the morning, can I digress and tell the story of how my mum really got her own back once?

I was at uni and I knew I had a really important lecture to go to the next day so I phoned mum and asked her to ring me in the morning to make sure I got up (unlimited alarm calls weren't around at that time) because I was terrified I'd sleep through the alarm.

Anyways, whatever happened during the night I must have knocked the phone off the hook because mum tried to ring me in the morning and the phone was engaged. I woke up with just enough time to spare and was dashing around the house like a mad thing, grabbing my books and ringing a taxi (too late for the bus) when someone knocked at the front door.

Our student house was just across the street from the local fire station.

The guy explained he worked at the fire station and my mum had got their number and asked some of them to knock the door because she couldn't get through on the phone and I was really scared about sleeping in. Bless her, I was mortified at the time but she meant well.

It's been a running joke in the family ever since!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ask if you were hyperactive as a baby as well. My parents used to have to put carrot sacking around my cot to stop me getting out as I was majorly curious from a very young age . They used to have to drive me round in the car to get me to go to sleep. BUt then getting me up was a major problem. I'm sure mental hyperactivity plays a part with heavy sleepers as well, its as if its the mind's only chance to play catch up. While alert you don't want to sleep and miss out, but once your brain has got the chance to slow down it makes the most of it. Is this making sense?

Well I do know I was pretty good as a baby and always slept right through the night - mum said she never had to get up with me.

I get where you're coming from with the mental hyperactivity though. I have terrible problems getting off to sleep, always have had since I was a child.

Did you have a regular bedtime? I was always allowed to stay up until I was tired or until the adults were going to bed.

Ooo, another question - do you dream much?
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i'm up far too early for a day off again. I could never get up in time for work when i worked 9 - 5. It's why i swapped to nightshifts. Now i just go to bed whenever i feel tired, even if it's 3pm. If i got rid of the lumpy futon and bought a proper bed, I might go back to sleeping 11 hrs straiht again. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edna wrote:
    The guy explained he worked at the fire station and my mum had got their number and asked some of them to knock the door because she couldn't get through on the phone and I was really scared about sleeping in. Bless her, I was mortified at the time but she meant well.

It's been a running joke in the family ever since!

Oh the embarassment * cackle*
    my worst was sleeping through the fire alarm test in a hotel in London. That scared me actually- I'd be a sitting duck.And end up a crispy one :-(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edna wrote:
    Did you have a regular bedtime? I was always allowed to stay up until I was tired or until the adults were going to bed.

Ooo, another question - do you dream much?

I go out like a light. Um, quite regular bedtimes as far as I can remember- will have to check with my mum.

I used to dream constantly throughout my life, and never normal ones if there is such as thing as normal dreams.One of my friends used to say my dreams were decidedly not normal. I definitely know I dream in colour. You?

Haven't had any I can remember for ages though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote:
    Well i'm up far too early for a day off again. I could never get up in time for work when i worked 9 - 5. It's why i swapped to nightshifts. Now i just go to bed whenever i feel tired, even if it's 3pm. If i got rid of the lumpy futon and bought a proper bed, I might go back to sleeping 11 hrs straiht again. :rolleyes:

God I miss night shifts. I used to love working at night. Do you find night working so much more constructive as well? I think you get much more done generally speaking.I have done stints of flexi time, and got so much more done from 2pm to 6 pm than I ever did from 10 til 2.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God I miss night shifts. I used to love working at night. Do you find night working so much more constructive as well? I think you get much more done generally speaking.I have done stints of flexi time, and got so much more done from 2pm to 6 pm than I ever did from 10 til 2.

I love having days off mid week when i can get my shopping done, plus we get tons more annual leave. On the down side, I never know what day it is and I'm forever being woken up by the gas man or door step sellers.
    I'm moving to days next year after 5 yrs on nights and really not looking forward to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I dream in colour and very vividly. Used to work night shifts as well - still prefer them to day shifts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote:
    I love having days off mid week when i can get my shopping done, plus we get tons more annual leave. On the down side, I never know what day it is and I'm forever being woken up by the gas man or door step sellers.
    I'm moving to days next year after 5 yrs on nights and really not looking forward to it.

That's it ! How to wake me up - I shall book utility company appointments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to worry about not waking up on time (I need 7-8 hours sleep a night but if I have a busy week I may only get 3-5) so I bought an alarm clock that is for the hard of hearing (I am not hard of hearing!). It has two settings LOUD and V E R Y L O U D and it solved my problem instantly. :D

The other thing you could try is a vibrating alarm that is kept under your pillow (grow up people). Not sure how they work but deaf people use them.

Like other people though I would repeat the boring thing of check with your Dr that there isn't an underlying reason for the sleep problem. If you are up at 4am it may be that the irregular hours you are keeping may be adding to the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cloud6 wrote:

The other thing you could try is a vibrating alarm that is kept under your pillow (grow up people). Not sure how they work but deaf people use them.

QUOTE]

Ooh you wouldn't be able to sleep through that either because your head would move. I shall investigate that thankyou.

This job I do now isn't shift work per se,no night shifts, but it's a 7am start every day so up at 5.30 at latest. I know I'm 11hrs a night by nature, no way round that, it's the only getting 6 a night for days and days on the run that wears me out. Having said that I am off at the mo so my body is sleeping even more to catch up with itself and is just as knackered as is the usual with oversleeping.

I was up last night due to my crashing at 5pm and sleeping til 11pm yesterday-not a good idea really lol.I shall remedy that by going to sleep straight after the x factor tonight hopefully.

God I feel sorry for insomniacs. At least if I'm knackered, on a day off I can sleep for as long as like. They must be constantly frazzled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will need to purchase a few rats.Big males.Then get someone too slip three of them under your blanket.They will wake you up very quickly.As they wriggle about so much.They cause alarm causing the person to literally jump out of bed.

Worked for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eye2006 wrote:
    You will need to purchase a few rats.Big males.Then get someone too slip three of them under your blanket.They will wake you up very quickly.As they wriggle about so much.They cause alarm causing the person to literally jump out of bed.

Worked for me.

That's too funny for words. Are you serious? in your bed? ugh.I found a mouse in my old flat, behaved like a scene from Tom and Jerry(the scene where the big momma is standing on the chair screaming?)contacted pest control and then read about them on the www to see what I was dealing with. Then I read they climbed walls and jumped . Pest control man came round, as I heard bottles of perfume being knocked over in the bedroom. Did you hear that? Did you hear that? I screeeched. It's ok he said, I think you'll find that was your post arriving.

mortified. :(
  • steve007steve007 Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody needs 11 hours sleep. Noone. Its simply a case of training your body into getting up earlier, if neccessary by going to bed earlier and getting into REM sleep which should mean you can sleep 7 hours and feel like you have had 14.