Photos on your Sky box

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    not worth the hassle, would be disabling the photo function anyway... assuming you can as i see no specific options for it... unless it's inside the camera button

Seems strange you can see your planner but not the remote control function.
    That has been there for sometime now. Use it all the time instead of the sky remote control.
    The photo/camera icon is the only new icon with the version released today.

Had email from sky go to say they just tested the galaxy mega after I mentioned and that phone is not working. Fix on the way sometime.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just updated the Sky+ app on my Android phone and can now see the camera icon. When I try to send a photo to my TV a box says Sorry, it is not possible to display this photo on your TV.

Any idea why? :confused:

The important bit of information required is, what firmware is your Sky box running?
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The important bit of information required is, what firmware is your Sky box running?

It's R010.070.58.06P
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried it using my son's ipad and it works so no idea why it doesn't with my Android phone. The camera isn't very good so could it be that the photo quality isn't good enough?

EDIT: Yes I think I'm right as it's working with HQ photos I've downloaded from websites.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finally the icon showed up.
    OK, so no apparent way to disable this function, so any device in the househould that is linked to the sky box was arbitrary control to send photos to the box at any time.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no camera icon for me ive tried reinstalling the app but nothing. My nexus 7 sees the 2 sky boxes which i have in my house, but my nexus 4 phone doesnt it just says cant find a compatible box on this network. Strange as both phone and tablet are connected to the same network.
    Forum Member
    finally the icon showed up.
    OK, so no apparent way to disable this function, so any device in the househould that is linked to the sky box was arbitrary control to send photos to the box at any time.

On install, you can deny the app having access to your photos or maybe change in settings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    On install, you can deny the app having access to your photos or maybe change in settings.

once the app is installed there are no settings for photo sharing anywhere.
    "deny access to photos" sounds like an iOS thing.
    Forum Member
    once the app is installed there are no settings for photo sharing anywhere.
    "deny access to photos" sounds like an iOS thing.

Yes its in settings on ios, only for android if its rooted (changing permissions) I expect.
    But when you first install the new app on ios and android, it asks about the use of photos, with a Not now/ Get started option. Use Not now and it wont have access to your photos.
  • PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pics on my iPhone are in 16:9 aspect, but TV displays them in 4:3 :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PeteA wrote: »
    Pics on my iPhone are in 16:9 aspect, but TV displays them in 4:3 :confused:

you sure they are 16:9? and it's not just your phone that is displaying them in 16:9 on the phone?

iphone doesn't take photos at 16:9.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just updated the Sky+ app on my Android phone and can now see the camera icon. When I try to send a photo to my TV a box says Sorry, it is not possible to display this photo on your TV.

Any idea why? :confused:

is your box any of these Pace, Samsung & Amstrad DRX780 as these boxes do not support the new photo viewing feature.
    http://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/Versions/R010.070.83.00P-Page4.html
  • Roger_GreenwoodRoger_Greenwood Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Got the update today,works fine with iPhone 5s,as we have a Panasonic tv (47wt50), I also have the app for Panasonic tv remote,this also works exactly the same way for photo's,but can also send music too.
  • BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Updated the Android app yesterday, I don't have a camera icon anywhere
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Its seems bit hit and miss on my iPhone 5. It will display some photo's but hangs when u try to display other photo's :-s

Thanks

Baz
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not worth the hassle, would be disabling the photo function anyway... assuming you can as i see no specific options for it... unless it's inside the camera button

You can't disable it, although why would you? There's no need to disable it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    You can't disable it, although why would you? There's no need to disable it.

well lets say you have a few devices in the house linked to the sky box, some adults some children (a mixture or iOS and android devices).

the app is updated on each device and the "get started" option is chosen when prompted (it's not clear that this is a one-time only choice).
    every device now has access to send photos to the box.

children upstairs think it's funny to send photos to the box whilst adults are watching downstairs.

at the moment there is no way to disable this except for un-installing the app and re-installing and selecting "not now".

surely you can see that having to remove and re-install an app to disable a feature isn't the best end-user experience.
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    children upstairs think it's funny to send photos to the box whilst adults are watching downstairs.

They'd probably already have been changing channels or starting random recordings off the app for kicks in that case.
    Forum Member
    well lets say you have a few devices in the house linked to the sky box, some adults some children (a mixture or iOS and android devices).

the app is updated on each device and the "get started" option is chosen when prompted (it's not clear that this is a one-time only choice).
    every device now has access to send photos to the box.

at the moment there is no way to disable this except for un-installing the app and re-installing and selecting "not now".

surely you can see that having to remove and re-install an app to disable a feature isn't the best end-user experience.

You can on ios in settings ^ but not android (well not easily for android)
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    For anyone who wants to turn off the ability of the box to receive photos, the option is under

parental -> connectivity

on the box
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Racket wrote: »
    For anyone who wants to turn off the ability of the box to receive photos, the option is under

parental -> connectivity

on the box

but not on a per-device basis though.
    it's all or nothing.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my nexus 7 tablet it finds my sky box but still no photo icon for me tried reinstalling the sky app but nothing, My nexus 4 phone cant even find my sky box just keeps going round and round. I do have unblock-us app on there but wouldnt have thought that was the problem. Running 13p on sky box and version number 4f3106.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Racket wrote: »
    They'd probably already have been changing channels or starting random recordings off the app for kicks in that case.

I agree with you there, they have already had the ability to control the box by changing channel, going into the EPG, etc., so don't see the big deal with a picture, why that would be any different.

Also, any child in my house would only do it the once, if they persist, they can live without a mobile phone for 24 hours, then again, maybe some people don't believe in disciplining their children, so down to the individual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you there, they have already had the ability to control the box by changing channel, going into the EPG, etc., so don't see the big deal with a picture, why that would be any different.

well yes i've already mentioned previously that the app should have options to enable and disable certain features.

ie enable remote record, but disable channel changing etc etc.
    photo display is just another option that needs explicit enable/disable options.
    Also, any child in my house would only do it the once, if they persist, they can live without a mobile phone for 24 hours, then again, maybe some people don't believe in disciplining their children, so down to the individual.

children was only used as a case example.
    there can be many reasons why you would want certain features enabled or disabled on individual devices.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well yes i've already mentioned previously that the app should have options to enable and disable certain features.

ie enable remote record, but disable channel changing etc etc.
    photo display is just another option that needs explicit enable/disable options.

children was only used as a case example.
    there can be many reasons why you would want certain features enabled or disabled on individual devices.

You're not criticising Sky are you Chenks :D

Even if the app let you disable certain features all your kids would have to do is change the settings back or uninstall and reinstall the app if the settings were pin protected.