Options

HMV future to be discussed...

Comments

• Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hayleyg wrote: »
    Give me a physical cd over a digital download any day. And give me HMV any day over downloading. It'll be a sad day if everything is done through and over a PC or phone.

I agree, i still love having a cd in my hand. With the inlay book:D
  • Options
    hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    You do realise that physical media is technology right.

You have to move on with innovation. Surely this cant be news to you? There's a reason why analogue is dead and we made the switch over. By your reckoning we should all still be watching B/W movies.
    :confused:

Err..no.

And yes..but there's living with technology and letting it rule at the cost of everything else. Leaving you with nothing else.

I have an Ipod and use it when travelling to and from work..but when I get home I play my cds which are far superior to downloads. Plus you get the lyric books with the artwork. I watch my DVD's/Blu Rays through a tv. I don't want to have to listen through music through my phone all the time or try and watch a digital copy of a film on a tiny little phone screen/Ipod screen.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Look what happened when "play" had to start paying tax. Their business model collapsed, they could not compete with the other "tax free" companies.
    Not really... Their service went downhill when they were taken over by that rakoon- or whatever it is called company.

I'm glad Waterstones is a separate company though. I still visit and buy books from my local one. Nothing beats a book shop..
    . No loud music, no loud talking... no pushing or shoving... just browse and read without a salesperson in sight... BLISS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Im with you, I have only ever bought four things online, apart from tickets (and even then I look at the available seats then ring) but it may be a generational thing. I still lament the loss of vinyl albums.

I twice bought CDs on the HMV website, but on one occasion I was sent the wrong CD (right artist, wrong title) and the other, as I recall, the case was cracked and fell apart when taken out of the envelope.

I loathe shopping online for anything that has to be delivered.

Having said that though, it's difficult to argue against the convenience of downloading music and film. It's quite a Nick Hornby-type thing to want to possess an album or a CD in its cover... nothing wrong with him or that mindset, but it's the actual content that I'm interested in, not the packaging.

I have 4 or 5 albums, all released in the 20th century, that I adore, but I don't think I've brought the physical copies out for years... yet I listen to them regularly on my ipod, that is what counts for me.

So I feel sad to have been a part of this - haven't bought a physical CD there for at least 5 years, but like I said, I don't want any online shopping that puts my purchases in the hands of the Royal Mail or some crap delivery firm.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they will be saved but a smaller number of stores in say just cities isn't going to help HMV. People need a store like this local otherwise the majority have to go to the supermarket or online.

Trouble is with supermarkets, they only sell the mainstream stuff, i.e. top 40 CDs / DVD's etc. At least with the likes of HMV, whilst you get more of a selection, its unfortunately the price that lets them down. Personally I'm old school, I would rather look for an item, hold it in my hand and buy it and if theres any problems, I can take it back to the shop rather than hassle about taking it to a post office or worrying if its got lost in transit back to the company concern. Yes online may be cheaper but its faceless when things go wrong.
  • Options
    20132013 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    You've obviously not been in a HMV for a while because they are full of some of the friendliest, helpful and enthuasiastic staff you could ever come across (well the ones in Brum and Oxford Street London at least)

I don't think they will be friendly tomorrow and enthuasiastic when they return to work tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    HMV's problem has got little to do with price.

It's got little to do with Amazing

Or supermarkets.

HMV's problem is their products are becoming, or have already become obsolete. Physical media is dying.

First it was music singles, which now are rarely released physically, and now albums are too becoming more and more dominated by downloads. Soon physical albums will be gone.

Lovefilm, blinkbox, Netflix, NowTV, etc. do the same for DVDs and films

And then you've got DLC on game consoles which again leaves no need to go out and buy a disc.

in 5 or so years I don't see discs (be it music, dvd, games, etc.) being no different than cassette tapes or VHS are right now.

But you would have had to go and buy the original game first.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    yes, let's all become hermits and not go out at all. Just sit inside, browse the net and shop. Yeah, great plan.

What about those that don't have computers or devices to browse the web, or those that don't have the internet. Might be a shock to you, but these people do exist. Why aren't people allowed a choice anymore? Why must everyone bow down to what you want? You want everyone to shop online, but what if someone doesn't want to?

Why are you revealing so much in potential job losses, loss of a huge high street name and loss of competition.

This could be bad for your precious Amazon too you know. Less competition means they have free reign to charge whatever they like for their products.

100% Agree
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err..no.

And yes..but there's living with technology and letting it rule at the cost of everything else. Leaving you with nothing else.

I have an Ipod and use it when travelling to and from work..but when I get home I play my cds which are far superior to downloads. Plus you get the lyric books with the artwork. I watch my DVD's/Blu Rays through a tv. I don't want to have to listen through music through my phone all the time or try and watch a digital copy of a film on a tiny little phone screen/Ipod screen.
    Good for you. By the way you do realise that many new hifi comes with dock connectors anyways... And tv and bluray players come with internet connectivity as standard right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really... Their service went downhill when they were taken over by that rakoon- or whatever it is called company.

I'm glad Waterstones is a separate company though. I still visit and buy books from my local one. Nothing beats a book shop..
    . No loud music, no loud talking... no pushing or shoving... just browse and read without a salesperson in sight...
    BLISS

I'm the same, i love walking round bookshops and browsing, normally buying too!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Trouble is with supermarkets, they only sell the mainstream stuff, i.e. top 40 CDs / DVD's etc. At least with the likes of HMV, whilst you get more of a selection, its unfortunately the price that lets them down. Personally I'm old school, I would rather look for an item, hold it in my hand and buy it and if theres any problems, I can take it back to the shop rather than hassle about taking it to a post office or worrying if its got lost in transit back to the company concern. Yes online may be cheaper but its faceless when things go wrong.

I agree with you 100% but it's not this that has finished HMV, it's downloads.
    I must have downloaded over 1000 songs in the last 5 years, and never had a problem listening to any of them.
  • Options
    20132013 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Steve35 wrote: »
    I'm the same, i love walking round bookshops and browsing, normally buying too!:D

But you know Amazon is soooo much cheaper, best to browse, scan and buy online! All the money you save you could treat yourself to a nice relaxing holiday on the beach while reading your books.
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

. No loud music, no loud talking... no pushing or shoving... just browse and read without a salesperson in sight... BLISS

Brilliant! So you feel the same way about Waterstones as many do about HMV! Well let's hope the technology revolution doesn't kill off the book store next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err..no.

How people can say they prefer downloads to physical cd's i don't know:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    yes, let's all become hermits and not go out at all. Just sit inside, browse the net and shop. Yeah, great plan.

What about those that don't have computers or devices to browse the web, or those that don't have the internet. Might be a shock to you, but these people do exist. Why aren't people allowed a choice anymore? Why must everyone bow down to what you want? You want everyone to shop online, but what if someone doesn't want to?

Why are you revelling so much in potential job losses, loss of a huge high street name and loss of competition.

This could be bad for your precious Amazon too you know. Less competition means they have free reign to charge whatever they like for their products.
    One thing I do agree with you on is that there has to be... And believe me there IS a balance between online shopping and actually going out to get things. I regularly visit my high street, and the local shopping centre when it is quiet. I buy from stores and online... I bargin around.

It's not all doom and gloom for the high street, those stores that are savvy are thriving. John Lewis, M&S- despite it's loses is still doing well. Independent record stores, wherever they may be are doing great thanks to the revival in vinyl.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It went downhill when the government announced it would lose its tax free status, from that point on it knew its cards were marked. If an established online company turning a profit simply pulls out when it starts having to pay tax, it shows it makes all the difference.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    Brilliant! So you feel the same way about Waterstones as many do about HMV! Well let's hope the technology revolution doesn't kill off the book store next.

Borders books already went under so book shops are not safe.
  • Options
    hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well said...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2013 wrote: »
    But you know Amazon is soooo much cheaper, best to browse, scan and buy online! All the money you save you could treat yourself to a nice relaxing holiday on the beach while reading your books.

Haha, i buy both online and in shops:p
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

There was a report i think last week book sales taking a big drop las year, is ebooks are the thing in now
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you 100% but it's not this that has finished HMV, it's downloads.
    I must have downloaded over 1000 songs in the last 5 years, and never had a problem listening to any of them.

I agree. I'm still a fan of the physical copy. A dying breed I know! I'm a collector of the Now CDs and I love getting them every 3 months. Seeing what cover they have, reading the inlay etc (Sad I know) You don't get that buzz with downloads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah... but you see the difference is... Waterstones is never crowded... no LOUD BOOMING MUSIC that isn't to my taste... The lighting isn't dim... No need to fight your way through the store. Just browse and buy at a REASONABLE price. In fact, there isn't a HUUUUGE difference between the prices in waterstones or on Amazon in regards to hardback copies. Waterstones do sometimes heavily discount their books.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really surprised, but still saddened.

Quick question, don't know if anyone can help, I worked at HMV over christmas, and my last pay day is supposed to be this Friday, will entering into administration have any effect on this? Feeling a little worried at the moment.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2013 wrote: »

Life isn't all about penny pinching and if it is then you have no life at all.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be surprising if it didn't.