Options

ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    If it keeps growing itv would be mad to make an early call to cancel it. Remember you called Tipping Point a failure after one day also?

Btw The Chase beat Pointless in share% excl +1's yesterday so maybe it's not dead yet either?
    Great night out has one episode left to grow. As it stands it is still rating worse than what its first episode got. But we'll see what happens with it.

Now now George, I never said The Chase was dead, did I. I merely commented on the situation it currently finds itself in which is its now rating lower than Pointless more often than it rating better than pointless. I know it is a long long way from being cancelled.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,226
    Forum Member
    If it keeps growing itv would be mad to make an early call to cancel it. Remember you called Tipping Point a failure after one day also?

Btw The Chase beat Pointless in share% excl +1's yesterday so maybe it's not dead yet either?

He only called Tipping Point a failure I believe because of the format - a lot of others said so aswell. It's a hit with viewers however.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A summary of new shows which have launched on Itv in January and if they were a success or flop in the ratings:

Mr Selfridge: SUCCESSFUL [but 5 eps still left]
    Splash!: SUCCESSFUL [but reputational flop]
    Trevor MacDonald Death Row: SUCCESSFUL
    Great Night Out: FLOP
    Julian Fellowes Houses: FLOP
    Nursing The Nation: FLOP

Big Reunion: SUCCESSFUL
    Magaluf Weekender: SUCCESSFUL
    Fake Reaction: FLOP

So about 50 percent of their new shows were successful, 50pct flopped. Biggest disappointments will be: critical reception for Splash!, new comedy Great night out not rating as well as hoped and Fake reaction struggling in the normally well rated Celebrity juice slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fake Reaction is very lightly trailed, hence the reason it only gets 200k.

Who cares about Splash!'s critical reception? Aren't the ratings all you care about? And you can't expect the first comedy drama ITV have done in years I believe to rate brilliantly, with 4m+. 3m is right around where I'd expect it to be.

When are we going to get this thread locked?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    A summary of new shows which have launched on Itv in January and if they were a success or flop in the ratings:

Mr Selfridge: SUCCESSFUL [but 5 eps still left]
    Splash!: SUCCESSFUL [but reputational flop]
    Trevor MacDonald Death Row: SUCCESSFUL
    Great Night Out: FLOP
    Julian Fellowes Houses: FLOP
    Nursing The Nation: FLOP

Big Reunion: SUCCESSFUL
    Magaluf Weekender: SUCCESSFUL
    Fake Reaction: FLOP

So about 50 percent of their new shows were successful, 50pct flopped. Biggest disappointments will be: critical reception for Splash!, new comedy Great night out not rating as well as hoped and Fake reaction struggling in the normally well rated Celebrity juice slot.

A pretty good start to the year then. They on't care about the critical reception for Splash (it was a hit Saturday night entertainment show, who cares what the critics think?) and Great Night Out is perking up a bit (although still not great to be fair). Mr Selfridge is a strong new drama hit, and they won't be overly concerned with Nursing The Nation and Historical Houses flopping, although it would have been nice for them to do well I guess. Two nice 9pm hits for ITV2 too.

Also, Fake Reaction's ratings have improved quite a bit since it began. It got 490k on Thursday which isn't bad considering it only got about 250k for its first episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    A pretty good start to the year then. They on't care about the critical reception for Splash (it was a hit Saturday night entertainment show, who cares what the critics think?) and Great Night Out is perking up a bit (although still not great to be fair). Mr Selfridge is a strong new drama hit, and they won't be overly concerned with Nursing The Nation and Historical Houses flopping, although it would have been nice for them to do well I guess. Two nice 9pm hits for ITV2 too.

Also, Fake Reaction's ratings have improved quite a bit since it began. It got 490k on Thursday which isn't bad considering it only got about 250k for its first episode.

And Fake Reaction's ratings are roughly in line as to what Celebrity Juice was getting in its first series in 2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Fake Reaction is very lightly trailed, hence the reason it only gets 200k.

Who cares about Splash!'s critical reception? Aren't the ratings all you care about? And you can't expect the first comedy drama ITV have done in years I believe to rate brilliantly, with 4m+. 3m is right around where I'd expect it to be.
    Fake reaction had a decent number of promos over christmas and new year before it launched. I thought it was going to get at least 500k because its in Itv2's panel show slot which gets over a million for Celebrity juice.

Great night out - think Itv wanted 3.5-4million instead of 3million its been getting. Its audience has gone up the last two weeks since Big brother finished but 3.2mill is still cancelation territory.
    When are we going to get this thread locked?
    I will say now that Itv is not in a "ratings crisis" atm so to speak as ratings have perked up a little this year. That was the case when I started the thread and obviously I cant change the thread title now. There are still some ratings issues now though hence continuing this thread. Lets not lock this thread pls because it sparks a discussion and otherwise where will George S go :cry:
    Didnt realise Fake reaction was rating better now, maybe Big reunion lead in is helping. How do Fake reaction ratings compare to Celebrity juice series one, if they are similar maybe Itv2 will give it another series. Always good if a show grows its audience but dunno if Itv2 will be happy with 490k.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes a lot of what ITV produces is low brow trash, but I can also point out to some good dramas like Mr Selfridge, Downton Abbey and Whitechapel, their factual is getting better such as Death Row and a new series about a British prison, and Take Me Out is a good laugh. Also ITV3 and 4 seem to be quite good and the sportfolio on ITV is getting bigger.
    Bear in mind the ITV group of stations get nearly three times the audience of their nearest rival and at least they don't feel the need to flog box opening and cookery meets reality non stop like a certain station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nevermind
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splash was different. That upset some folks who like everything to be the same or to go back to 1970s formats. Incidentally the diving community have warmly welcomed Splah. Its far more original than anything BBC LE have come up with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splash was different. That upset some folks who like everything to be the same or to go back to 1970s formats. Incidentally the diving community have warmly welcomed Splah. Its far more original than anything BBC LE have come up with.

It was a success, defied the critics for once. I didn't find it that bad and it didn't take itself seriously like Dancing on Ice does, which is a similar type of show. I think ITV has improved in the last few years, not massively, but it's far better than it was five years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3.2m is cancellation territory?

Family Fortunes is still going on isn't it after getting 3m last year - The Cube, they only got 3m for the Xmas special.

It sparks a discussion - for all the wrong reasons and 70% of it is of the ratings. The other 30% is about the quality of your posts.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nursing The Nation: FLOP.

Hardly, it's doing a steady 3m same as other shows such as Wild Britain and Tonight
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly, it's doing a steady 3m same as other shows such as Wild Britain and Tonight

Indeed, yet again Samuel is clutching at straws talking about minor documentaries as if they are the flagship shows of the season.

Great Night Out isn't a flop either, it's growing week on week and people seem to like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Indeed, yet again Samuel is clutching at straws talking about minor documentaries as if they are the flagship shows of the season.

Great Night Out isn't a flop either, it's growing week on week and people seem to like it.

Didn't also Only Fools and Horses start very slowly and went on to become the most loved sitcom of all time? GNO has potential and has Ricky Tomlinson in it, who is usually good. Thing is it clashes with the Superleague for me.
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even i one of samuels greatest foes on this site now think this thread has gone for enough with the same arguments continually recycled its all getting a bit tedious and over the top ridiculous now. i think we should all agree to disagree with samuel who is trolling gobshitting and clutching at straws simultaneouslyover every single negative spin on any itv programme vs any bbc programmesd good view this will never be reversed so to the mods in the interests of clogging this thread up and in balance please lock it and samuel itv are in no crisis according to the way itv works now, the threads pointless please lock it thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancing on Ice faces the AXE: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/dancing-on-ice-faces-the-axe-1647596
    Dancing on Ice is on the skids after being trumped last week… by Countryfile.

Insiders say ITV bosses are considering dropping the flagship show because the latest series has had some of the poorest viewing figures since it began in 2006.

If Itv cancels Dancing on Ice, what do they have planned to fill the 20hours early next year? Hopefully quality drama.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancing on Ice faces the AXE: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/dancing-on-ice-faces-the-axe-1647596

If Itv cancels Dancing on Ice, what do they have planned to fill the 20hours early next year? Hopefully quality drama.

They won't cancel it. What would be the point? The numbers are still very good and a quality drama is not going to do anything against Call The Midwife. With the current schedule ITV are appealing to an alternative audience against that show (and I can't think of much else that would be above 5 million against CTM and Top Gear) and then going with drama at 9pm which is winning the slot. DOI might be a good bit down but the schedule overall is working pretty well and they'd be foolish to mess around with it much.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Quality drama" isn't the solution to everything. And in any event, we're talking about the slot opposite Call The Midwife, they're not going to commission drama for that slot. Especially not when Mr Selfridge is on at 9pm and won't be cheap.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally I've only ever tended to watch Celebrity Juice on ITV2. Right now I'm watching all 3 of their new shows and I suspect all 3 will be recommissioned (assuming they can put together a line-up for a second Big Reunion). I'm guessing the bigger lead-in is helping Fake Reaction. I know one of the early episodes which got about 250-300k on Thursday went on to repeat to 450k on the Saturday showing (after Take Me Out: The Gossip). I'm not wholly convinced that the idea has legs - already some of the stuff is getting a bit old. But it's definitely worth another shot. Sometimes these shows take some time to find their feet. Overall, even if we take Samuel's 50% hit rate then for TV in general, that's pretty good.

I guess the bigger news for ITV is behind the scenes. 2 of the 3 main genre directors are to leave this year after 4+ years of stability. Laura Mackie leaving drama (with Sally Haynes) maybe isn't an awful thing. Overall I think she has done a good job, a bad start perhaps but they've pulled it together since the final quarter of 2008 and Downton wins a lot of bonus points for any commissioner. Nonetheless, 2012 wasn't a big year and there's maybe an argument that her job was done and it's time for a fresh pair of hands. I daresay we'll not have to wait long before Mackie and Haynes place a new series on BBC1 or ITV1 as producers.

Sharman going (or being pushed out?) is slightly more surprising as she just seems to be getting a real grip of her brief. If they'd axed her 3 years ago I could understand. But she's had some sucessful forays into more serious factual from the big 9/11 doc to Trevor McDonald's recent series. Daytime is on a roll with the big Chase order recently. O'Grady's ratings were great and I think stuff like The Lakes was also delivering decent numbers in a tough slot with a low budget. Still work to be done in terms of delivering returnable series for 9pm weeknights like Long Lost Family.

Will be interesting to see who they bring in and what kind of direction they're going to go in. And all good news for Elaine Bedell, you'd suspect.

More broadly, I'd be interested to see ITV launch a 16-34 aimed channel mixing original UK scripted content with US imports. I think ITV2 is very strongly positioned as an entertainment channel and should remain as such. But with their ITV1 drama all aiming older, BBC3's budget for drama being cut and E4 struggling a bit on that front, I think there could be an opportunity.

Rather than being in a crisis, I think ITV are actually in a pretty stable position where they can look to build across drama and factual as well as adding to their strong digital portfolio. The ratings "ups and downs" are just that - all fairly routine stuff.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quality Drama at 6:30pm, yes that will work. :rolleyes:

You've answered your own question by the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member

Not surprising really. It's been an a downward trend for a few years now.

I love how the talent show fanatics are horrified just at the thought of one of the talent shows facing the axe. :p
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If dancing on ice is facing the axe would that open the door for X factor/BGT filling the january to easter slot

The trouble with itv is that they are stuck in a primetime scheduling rut during the week. There is little on offer apart from soaps that makes viewers stay with the channel. I long for the day when there is more choice than soaps to watch on itv.

Re the DOG that has appeared on the channel. Maybe that is needed so to tell viewers that they watching itv rather than a channel further down the EPG
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They certainly wouldn't air BGT in January.

I would imagine as mostly everything on BBC1 was over 5m yesterday (in primetime) - we'll be treated to one of Samuel's rants when ITV's ratings are out.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    The trouble with itv is that they are stuck in a primetime scheduling rut during the week. There is little on offer apart from soaps that makes viewers stay with the channel. I long for the day when there is more choice than soaps to watch on itv.

That just isn't true though. Lewis, Mr Selfridge and the live football all delivered decent ratings for ITV last week. The football and Selfridge won their slots, and Lewis was only just behind Mrs Brown's Boys on Monday night.

This week it's Selfridge, Lewis, and live Champions League, next week it's the Brit awards and Piers Morgan's Life Stories with Esther Rantzen.

There is also this themed night, which probably won't get high ratings but is the sort of thing only a PSB channel would do:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-announces-valentine%E2%80%99s-week-heart-campaign