Throwback: Mariah Carey - My All

LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been listening to this song a lot recently. I think it's such a unique ballad, and I think the lyrics are beautiful! Especially the second verse:

Baby can you feel me
Imagining I'm looking in your eyes
I can see you clearly
Vividly emblazoned in my mind
And yet you're so far
Like a distant star
I'm wishing on tonight

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beautiful song

Always wondered who it was about
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The girl/guy below me plays this song along with Let Her Go by Passenger on loop on a daily basis. It's really quite frightening, been driving me insane for months...

Besides that though, yeah it's one of Mariah's best singles and the stand out track from Butterfly :D
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favorite Mariah record overall!! Beautiful song.
    I also love the David Morales remix!! Used to listen to that version all the time while I did my paper rounds :)
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original was nice, but I LOVED jermaine dupri's r&b remix which sampled 'stay a little while' by Loose Ends.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of Jermaine Dupri, I love their Sweetheart collaboration.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah's remixes are like new songs. Her voice on My All though..
  • josh2721josh2721 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very sensual song!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Mariah's remixes are like new songs. Her voice on My All though..

Totally. I'm not too fussed on her hip hop remixes, but some of her dance mixes are fantastic!

Love this song. One of her best singles IMO. I wish she would release more songs like this. :(
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    I love this song so much especially the first verse and like little-monster wonder if it was written about anybody in particular.
  • ack1990ack1990 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Very good song, yeah. My favourite song from Butterfly is probably Close My Eyes or The Roof, but My All is up there as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this song so much especially the first verse and like little-monster wonder if it was written about anybody in particular.

I forgot this was from the butterfly album and that album was pretty much her divorce album from Tommy Mottola so likely him.

He was an awful man to her. You can see what a change in person Mariah became before and after this person. In her early career, she was very talkative, chatty and down to earth. Someone you would like to be friends with. From this album onwards, i felt she became very closed off, very protective and just not like how she once was. Sadly that is what domestic abuse can do to you. It changes you course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    One of her best and very underrated especially in the UK
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I love about this song and early Mariah is that she SANG and showed what she could do with her incredible voice its wasnt like her now where she has to cram EVERY note she can sing into EVERY song she does.
    Forum Member
    I forgot this was from the butterfly album and that album was pretty much her divorce album from Tommy Mottola so likely him.

He was an awful man to her. You can see what a change in person Mariah became before and after this person. In her early career, she was very talkative, chatty and down to earth. Someone you would like to be friends with. From this album onwards, i felt she became very closed off, very protective and just not like how she once was. Sadly that is what domestic abuse can do to you. It changes you course.

Surely she wasn't singing about wanting one more night with Mottola?
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Mariah has said in an interview that she does not write songs based on her personal life, and she wouldn't be sane if she did. Which is true considering 90% of her songs are about love and heartbreak!

Butterfly is an emancipation from Mottola, it's Mariah making the music and the image that she wanted to do. The moment she steps out of that pool in the Honey video, you know the album is more about her being herself. HOWEVER, despite what Tommy may have done to her personally, professionally she is who she is because of him. Mariah would not have lasted 10 minutes if she had control over her image and sound at the start of her career. He made her a star.
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Mariah has said in an interview that she does not write songs based on her personal life, and she wouldn't be sane if she did. Which is true considering 90% of her songs are about love and heartbreak!

Butterfly is an emancipation from Mottola, it's Mariah making the music and the image that she wanted to do. The moment she steps out of that pool in the Honey video, you know the album is more about her being herself. HOWEVER, despite what Tommy may have done to her personally, professionally she is who she is because of him. Mariah would not have lasted 10 minutes if she had control over her image and sound at the start of her career. He made her a star.

I agree he made her a star and I'm sure Mariah would acknowledge the impact he had on her career despite the personal stuff.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omg this song is THE ultimate camp classic!!
    my friends and I have many a night belted this out after one too many, lol :D
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I like this song. I think it's a pretty emotional one and beautifully sung.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely she wasn't singing about wanting one more night with Mottola?

You never know

Even if your significant other abuses you, you still love them regardless

and yes Tommy did make Mariah's career and was key to being where she is right now, but that doesn't excuse his mental abuse towards her. He had her well under lock and key. She couldn't do nothing. She was his property. Side effects (from e=m2) pretty much details what she went through.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    According to Walter Afanasieff, 'My All' was unfinished on his part. Tbh if anymore was added then the emotional impact wouldn't have been as big, less is more.

Wish Mariah would work with him again, but it's unlikely :(.
    Forum Member
    You never know

Even if your significant other abuses you, you still love them regardless

and yes Tommy did make Mariah's career and was key to being where she is right now, but that doesn't excuse his mental abuse towards her. He had her well under lock and key. She couldn't do nothing. She was his property. Side effects (from e=m2) pretty much details what she went through.

I don't think anyone would disagree that his personal treatment of her was wrong but professionally, I think Mariah needed that strong person. Don't get me wrong, she is IMO a fantastic songwriter, and I think it does get overlooked that she does write all of her material, but so many bad decisions have come in the post-Columbia years.

Mariah said herself Tommy didn't want her to do movies because it would damage her career. The first movie she does flops and its accompanying album doesn't exactly set the charts alight and other than Emancipation, she's not had a hit album after his involvement ended. It's crazy that it's almost 10 years since We Belong Together came out but she does need another WBT now.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone would disagree that his personal treatment of her was wrong but professionally, I think Mariah needed that strong person. Don't get me wrong, she is IMO a fantastic songwriter, and I think it does get overlooked that she does write all of her material, but so many bad decisions have come in the post-Columbia years.

Mariah said herself Tommy didn't want her to do movies because it would damage her career. The first movie she does flops and its accompanying album doesn't exactly set the charts alight and other than Emancipation, she's not had a hit album after his involvement ended. It's crazy that it's almost 10 years since We Belong Together came out but she does need another WBT now.

Completely agree. Emancipation, in my opinion, was a fluke. The album was done and dusted up until a few of weeks before release where her new record exec. LA Reid told her he didn't think the album would be a hit, so she should go write more songs. She wrote three songs in that time, two of them in one session: Shake It Off, It's Like That, and We Belong Together. Mariah is a great songwriter and an incredible vocalist, but she needs guidance just like any other potential superstar. There's a lot of business behind the art.
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Completely agree. Emancipation, in my opinion, was a fluke. The album was done and dusted up until a few of weeks before release where her new record exec. LA Reid told her he didn't think the album would be a hit, so she should go write more songs. She wrote three songs in that time, two of them in one session: Shake It Off, It's Like That, and We Belong Together. Mariah is a great songwriter and an incredible vocalist, but she needs guidance just like any other potential superstar. There's a lot of business behind the art.

It's a shame really because I consider her to be a very creative person but her vision doesn't work as well as Tommy's did.

She had to evolve her sound because the divas style of belting out a ballad was starting to wear thin, and I think she was heading the right way, but I think she went too far.

She went too sexy too quick IMO. The style of music wasn't an issue, it was the image they created and it went really fast from the long dresses and the classy image to the incredibly short dresses and bikini tops and ended up throughout the Rainbow release to look a bit cheap and tacky for me.