Value Cigarettes - opinions from smokers wanted

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking for market-research advice/opinions from smokers...

If you currently smoke 'mid-range' cigarettes such as Mayfair or Sterling, what do you think of the 'value' brands such as Rothman's, Berkeley, Chesterfield and Player's?

I'm looking at stocking these but wondered whether anybody actually buys them? You never see people with these packets and one review I've read described them as so awful the person concerned said they'd rather not smoke anything :D

All opinions welcome :)

Comments

• James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I only smoke menthol and have never tried the mentioned brands. I usually smoke Marlboro but in the absence of those, Benson and Hedges dual are the only other cigs that come close. All the other menthol brands I've tried tasted foul.

I have tried Pall Mall, not sure of their pricing range, but they tasted so bad I felt sick after one stick.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only mid range brand I go for is Sovereign.
  • JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sterling Fresh Taste, lovely smoke
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only smoke Marlboro Lights or Silk Cut if I cant get Marlborough. I would never smoke the Mayfair brand although I do see some people with them usually in packets of 10. Didnt know they still sold Soverighn. I can remember No 6!
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped after they withdrew Piccadilly King Size!

Woodbine, Park Drive, and Cadets were good smokes too!
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you would know already if they sell as people would say "do you have any....?"
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you would know already if they sell as people would say "do you have any....?"

Well this is it really - I've never actually had anybody ask me for 20 Rothmans/Berkeley etc, hence me asking the question.

The caveat is we're not a normal shop though, and only carry a limited selection of cigarettes (all the best-sellers like Marlboro, Mayfair, B&H etc), again, thus the question.

I assume the sort of people who would buy value cigs probably just see the Mayfair or Sterling as it's the cheapest we have and never actually ask for others.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chesterfield & blue sovereign sell well where I work so do windsor blue. Out of the three id say blue sovereign and windsor blue sell best, berkley menthols sell better than the standard ones.

As a smoker, the main difference is the speed at which they burn down, which is very fast with chesterfield.

What sells well will depend on your customers though.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    The caveat is we're not a normal shop though, and only carry a limited selection of cigarettes (all the best-sellers like Marlboro, Mayfair, B&H etc), again, thus the question.

Out of interest, what kind of shop do you own?
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the litter on the pavements round here, Rothmans seem very popular.

I don't smoke though so I don't know what they taste like.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a smoker on a budget, i smoked sterling blue until they changed them and they started to taste like chemicals. Then i switched to chesterfield blues, and smoked them for a good year. The lady in the shop used to comment it was only me and another guy that brought them! I was then told to try the rothman silvers as the chesterfield blues were really light and i was smoking more, so onto rothmans and they were actually quite a nice cigarette.
    From a guy that used to smoke marlboro lights i loved the rothmans and i certainly would not pay the additional £3 to smoke ****. they are a bloody rip off.
    Im glad i have quid. im £200 a month better off and i love having the extra cash to treat myself!
  • EssexAimeeEssexAimee Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I can only comment on chesterfield and rothmens... chesterfield absolutely awful. I would fine someway of getting the extra pennys to get my soverign rothmens similar but slightly more bearable when strapped for cash. I used to smoke black soverign and b and h sliver but now they are stupidly expensive, has been soverign blue superkings since they first came out.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, what kind of shop do you own?

It's a delivery off-licence service as opposed to a conventional shop - so customers choose from physical price-lists and look at the website to find out what we stock.

Well it seems from the last 3 posts that a trend of Rothman's being the best 'value' cigarette is emerging, thanks for all of the responses guys :)
  • NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I like to vary, at home and work I tend to have tobacco, Cutters Choice...... When I go out I usually either have Chesterfield/Rothmanns or JPS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    its strange a while back rothmans where a top brand now they are budget if i have to buy a packet of cigs i get pall mall the rest of the time i have my marlboro gold (lights) which are only 25 quid a carton in bulgaria :)
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you got a bookers etc card visit the **** dept and have a chat and see whats hot and not as things change regularly and an extra 2-3p per pack will kill off a cheapo brand as at the very low end all they care about is the most cancer for their money
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mate of mine owns a Newsagent, so I asked the question.

Apparently, the brand they just can't keep in stock is Mayfair in packs of 14.
    I'd never heard of any cigarettes being sold in 14's, but they're supposedly very popular.
    At the minute she said they are price marked at £5.25 per packet and the more she buys, the more she sells.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I'm looking for market-research advice/opinions from smokers...

If you currently smoke 'mid-range' cigarettes such as Mayfair or Sterling, what do you think of the 'value' brands such as Rothman's, Berkeley, Chesterfield and Player's?

I'm looking at stocking these but wondered whether anybody actually buys them? You never see people with these packets and one review I've read described them as so awful the person concerned said they'd rather not smoke anything :D

All opinions welcome :)

Id say Sterling are bottom of the barrel.

I smoke Richmond Menthols, I am not sure if they're mid range or cheap but they're my **** of choice.

If I can't get those, I will smoke L&B or Berkley over Marlboro (ridiculously expensive) and Sterling.