Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am suprised the Vaccines know who Rhianna is. She only ever released the one album and barely made an impact as it peaked at 91.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am suprised the Vaccines know who Rhianna is. She only ever released the one album and barely made an impact as it peaked at 91.

Ah, Rhianna, the British R&B singer.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although they seem A BIT up their own arse, what they are saying is correct.

She doesn't write her own material, other people do it for her, she is just the face of other peoples "songs"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like 'Man Down' :)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »

She doesn't write her own material, other people do it for her, she is just the face of other peoples "songs"

But why single her out. So many of the greats didn't write their songs
  • Options
    Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Who dat?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a shot at Coldplay aswell...

"I've never heard that song, but it's Coldplay - they'll do whatever they can to be the biggest band on earth, to be bigger than U2,"

That's true aswell, that comical arse kissing teeny bopping band will never be on the same as U2... Coldplay are just chasing their shadow at the minute.

They were on track when they put out Yellow... then it all went to sh*t when they decided they wanted to go out with the fancy lights. You now go to a Coldplay concert because of the "spectacle"... not the music.

As for Rihanna, I knew she was crap already... money making machine where a bunch of writers just want their name on her album because they know it'll sell regardless of it being dire.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    The Vaccines have just killed ANY chance they had at having a hit single!!! :D Well done to them.

Seriously though, Rihanna is a pop artist. Everybody in the world knows she has people making her songs for her. Nobody cares. We just enjoy the catchy songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I don't think many like Rihanna for her artistry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, out of the two, i probably like Rihanna's music more lol.:p;)
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calling the likes of Rihanna 'artists' is kind of like comparing an Etch-a-Sketch to the Sistine Chapel.
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vaccines are also part of the 'Global radio machine' as well.A little bit rich coming from them
    http://jobs.thisisglobal.com/facts/global-publishing/
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vaccines are also part of the 'Global radio machine' as well.A little bit rich coming from them
    http://jobs.thisisglobal.com/facts/global-publishing/

I'm not sure how a publishing deal for a group that write and play their own songs makes them the same as a singer who's songs are written and produced by scores of folk?

I believe every act has a music publisher, it might be how they get paid. That's pretty important if you want to live and eat.
    So if the Vaccines want to have a go at the like of Rihanna and that conveyor belt crap, they should be penniless, homeless and starving?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, but people like Whitney Houston had exceptional talent. Rihanna is just average at best. She's a dime a dozen.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are going to have sore assholes after this, but if there was ever more truth about Rihanna...this is it.
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Rihanna a virgin?
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »

I get what your saying but at the same time some of the greatest musicians out there never wrote their own material thats a cop out in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    As much as i detest Rihanna and all that other corporate tripe that all stems from the likes of Jay Z and co. Coming from a glorified tribute act, it doesn't mean much.
  • Options
    ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are right and I respect her hustle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I get what your saying but at the same time some of the greatest musicians out there never wrote their own material thats a cop out in my opinion.

Most of those great musicians had talent in other areas. Rihanna is a mediocre singer at best, which is technically what she gets paid for. Whitney, Mariah, Chaka, and the rest have spectacular voices that don't come a dime a dozen like Rihanna. Rihanna is the perfect example of the timing + promotion + beauty + average talent formula. If it wasn't Rihanna with Good Girl Gone Bad, it easily could have been anyone else. Her first two albums weren't that great.
  • Options
    CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sick of the sight of her and having a musical release every second Monday.

And I don't think I am alone in that feeling
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Most of those great musicians had talent in other areas. Rihanna is a mediocre singer at best, which is technically what she gets paid for. Whitney, Mariah, Chaka, and the rest have spectacular voices that don't come a dime a dozen like Rihanna. Rihanna is the perfect example of the timing + promotion + beauty + average talent formula. If it wasn't Rihanna with Good Girl Gone Bad, it easily could have been anyone else. Her first two albums weren't that great.

And i know that but too many people focus on the ''she doesn't write her own material'' BS when that could be said of many others the rest is perfectly true and its happened before and it'll happen again she is a popstar a voice a face and a name to sell a product she has never said she was anything else so people need to stop being so pretentious there is plenty of more worthwhile music out there and blame the puppeters responsible if you need to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because of what she represents maybe? She's one of the biggest female pop star of the moment and yet she has no power whatsoever in the industry as she relies totally on x,y,z to dictate the evolution of her career....To be fair to them though - The Vaccines - they answered a question about Rihanna asked by DS.
    They have a point though. I like Rihanna - much less since the Loud era though - I like her songs and there was a time I truly thought she could transit from a teen pop act into a credible music act with her own artistry but unfortunately, she's become even more of a product than when she first started and even if she's getting stronger and stronger as a singer and entertainer, she has zero artistic integrity. The fact she's not writing her own songs has something to do with it, but it's more due to the fact everything is served to her on a plate by a dozen of producers already commissionned before she can think of doing a next album and all she needs to do is to turn up to the studio and do her vocals and go.
    As you said some of the great were in the same position as her, they didn't write their own songs. But these great usually worked with the same team for years and often in partnership - think for instance, Dionne Warwick & Burt Baccarah or Donna Summer & Cerrone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    And i know that but too many people focus on the ''she doesn't write her own material'' BS when that could be said of many others the rest is perfectly true and its happened before and it'll happen again she is a popstar a voice a face and a name to sell a product she has never said she was anything else so people need to stop being so pretentious there is plenty of more worthwhile music out there and blame the puppeters responsible if you need to.

Beyonce doesn't write her own music and steals other people's ideas, but people cut her slack because at least she can sing and dance and does them both exceptionally well and often at the same time. She has other talents which Rihanna does not. She can barely sing standing still, let alone while performing a dance number.