Options

M&S UK Customer Services

ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need to speak to an actual human being and not a robot - something I've had the misfortune of having to do for a fruitless 20 minutes this morning about my MS credit card.

Does anyone have a UK phone number where I could speak with someone who doesn't stick to a script and who will actually help me?

Comments

• Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    If you look on the back of the CC you might see a number for calling from overseas. Replace the 44 with 0 and try that, it'll only cost as a local call rather than premium.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think their call centres are in India
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    If you look on the back of the CC you might see a number for calling from overseas. Replace the 44 with 0 and try that, it'll only cost as a local call rather than premium.

Good idea, yes there is one so I'll try that - thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    I think their call centres are in India

The fella I spoke with this morning sounded American-ish, not Indian (their call centres were there but I think they may have moved to the Philippines, looking on their website). Very, very unhelpful and completely unwilling/unable to go off script and speak to me as a human.
  • Options
    ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    posted in error:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    The fella I spoke with this morning sounded American-ish, not Indian (their call centres were there but I think they may have moved to the Philippines, looking on their website). Very, very unhelpful and completely unwilling/unable to go off script and speak to me as a human.

Ah ok. The problem is I don't think they are trained to do anything but read off the script, so as soon as an issue arises which they haven't been trained for, they panic and keep reciting the same crap they've been taught, even though it may not be relevant to your situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok. The problem is I don't think they are trained to do anything but read off the script, so as soon as an issue arises which they haven't been trained for, they panic and keep reciting the same crap they've been taught, even though it may not be relevant to your situation.

That's exactly the problem. Because of personal circumstances - changing jobs, interviews, life in general - I didn't notice my card had expired yesterday until I came to use it this morning. I rang up and explained I need an urgent replacement as I'm going away on Friday but I was told it would be 10 days and that's that, no room for manoeuvre, no discretion, nothing. Admittedly, I should have noticed the expiry date but surely they must be able to process a replacement faster than nearly 2 weeks?! Barclaycard can sort me a new card in 4 days as I have a Barclays account.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With remote call centres it's usually because they won't have the authority to deal with 'off script' issues.

They will have an established course of action for every normal scenario a customer will contact them for and they'll be told not to deviate from that.

I'm curious though - OP - did you ask for the matter to be escalated?
  • Options
    giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you checked all of your mail?

M&S usually send out a new replacement card two weeks before the old one expires.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    With remote call centres it's usually because they won't have the authority to deal with 'off script' issues.

They will have an established course of action for every normal scenario a customer will contact them for and they'll be told not to deviate from that.

I'm curious though - OP - did you ask for the matter to be escalated?

Very definitely! I asked if he would please go off script and deal with as someone in urgent need of his help but be wouldn't budge at all.
    giz a tab wrote: »
    Have you checked all of your mail?

M&S usually send out a new replacement card two weeks before the old one expires.

He said a card had been sent in September but I've not received it, so its obviously been lost in the post.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very definitely! I asked if he would please go off script and deal with as someone in urgent need of his help but be wouldn't budge at all.
    Did you ask to speak to someone senior?

It could be that they've been told to say 10 days in case it does take that long. I would expect that HSBC's card production facilities are used and they seem to be okay speed wise, so you may actually have your card during the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Did you ask to speak to someone senior?

It could be that they've been told to say 10 days in case it does take that long. I would expect that HSBC's card production facilities are used and they seem to be okay speed wise, so you may actually have your card during the week.

To be honest, after speaking with the advisor, being put on hold for over 5 minutes while he supposedly went to see what could be done to rush it through, and then trying but failing to make him realise the urgency, I didn't ask to speak to anyone more senior. I thought it'd be easier to speak with someone at the UK head office tomorrow. Fingers crossed you're right and the card turns up before Friday.
  • Options
    gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    If it takes 10 days for them to print the card and send. It out then I fail to see what head office can do, its not as if they print the cards there..
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said a card had been sent in September but I've not received it, so its obviously been lost in the post.
    In which case, that card needs to be treated as lost/stolen so that it's cancelled completely. That's usually a higher priority card issue with the bank than a card replacement for any other reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In which case, that card needs to be treated as lost/stolen so that it's cancelled completely. That's usually a higher priority card issue with the bank than a card replacement for any other reason.

That's exactly the line I went down but I was still told there were procedures to be followed and it would still be 10 days.