Catherine Tate's Nan – BBC One, 9.30pm, 04/01

AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought I'd start the official discussion thread for Catherine Tate's Nan, on tonight.

I'm very excited for the show. I went to see it being recorded and it truly was very funny (especially seeing Catherine dressed up as a 75-year-old woman running across the set).

Huge fan of the Nan character - one of my favourites from the Catherine Tate Show. There was a discussion in the studio that Nan could be picked up for a full series if the pilot does well tonight, so I'm hoping it does.

Also, I LOVE the trailer the BBC made for it! (link below)

Any other fans?
[news] - Catherine Tate's Nan trailer unveiled by BBC - watch
- Catherine Tate's Nan returns for new full-length episode - watch teasers[/news]

Comments

• Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was too young to watch the original series but I have seen a few clips here and there so will be giving tonight's episode a watch
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was too young to watch the original series but I have seen a few clips here and there so will be giving tonight's episode a watch

You were too young? It wasn't that long ago.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of ****.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I'd start the official discussion thread for Catherine Tate's Nan, on tonight.

I'm very excited for the show. I went to see it being recorded and it truly was very funny (especially seeing Catherine dressed up as a 75-year-old woman running across the set).

Huge fan of the Nan character - one of my favourites from the Catherine Tate Show. There was a discussion in the studio that Nan could be picked up for a full series if the pilot does well tonight, so I'm hoping it does.

Also, I LOVE the trailer the BBC made for it! (link below)

Any other fans?
    [news] - Catherine Tate's Nan trailer unveiled by BBC - watch
    - Catherine Tate's Nan returns for new full-length episode - watch teasers[/news]

I am totally looking forward to this. Catherine genuinely looked cheesed off on The One Show just before Christmas when she tried to look pleased that her show was airing on 4th January. I suspect she hoped for a Christmas slot. However, tonight it is in a plum slot, could rate well as there is a seemingly desire for comedy and as such could lead into a series which I truly hope for.

It's funny really, the BBC have been seeking new sitcom ideas for what seems an eternity, yet sometimes they need to realise that they don't really need to look beyond what is already available.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    You were too young? It wasn't that long ago.

2007 was the last proper series, Someone say 11 then was too young, But is now 17. So it makes sense
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    2007 was the last proper series, Someone say 11 then was too young, But is now 17. So it makes sense

The last "Nan" outing was in 2009 with "Nan's Christmas Carol". This was repeated at Christmas 2010. So for someone who was 11 in 2007, they would have been 14 in 2010.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The last "Nan" outing was in 2009 with "Nan's Christmas Carol". This was repeated at Christmas 2010. So for someone who was 11 in 2007, they would have been 14 in 2010.

I get what you mean, But the poster did say the original series. :)
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love "Nan" and am looking forward to tonight :)

She looks like my own nan (RIP) but mine didn't ever swear, so this is how she would have been with a potty mouth :D
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this. Nan was one of my favourite characters.:D
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    It seems strange that they're airing it and BBC Wales aren't- surely that will take out a large chunk of their ratings?
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to it!
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhysy54 wrote: »
    It seems strange that they're airing it and BBC Wales aren't- surely that will take out a large chunk of their ratings?

Yeah, it's odd. I think it's on at 11.20 in Wales.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never understood the fascination with Tate and this character is one of the worst, simply abysmal comedy.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looking forward to this, you would think with the amount of rubbish on over xmas this would have got a prime slot then
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the character within the context of the sketch show. I hope this works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    This is great, it's bizarre that it didn't get a better slot. Surely it would have been the perfect accompaniment to one of the Mrs Brown's Boys airings?
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Few too many fat, ugly, almost racist jokes for my liking. Just seems to be a constant taking the Mickey out of people. Okay I guess maybe better as part of a sketch show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    The line about knitting a sign to say go f**k yourself had me in hysterics :)
  • nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be getting good responses on twitter. Looks like a missed opportunity to me -should have been given Xmas day.
  • mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    It's so funny!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    nigel12 wrote: »
    Seems to be getting good responses on twitter. Looks like a missed opportunity to me -should have been given Xmas day.

Definitely.

Surely anyone could have been that this and MBB would have been a perfect hour of comedy? They could have even marketed the old lady aspect of it. Weird.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    This is so funny. :D
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is very funny. Should have been shown Christmas night.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Never understood the fascination with Tate and this character is one of the worst, simply abysmal comedy.

People know old ladies like "Nan" so it is highly amusing.