Options

London Snobbery

trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes. I'm a fully paid up member of the London Obsessives society, and it's a debilitating condition.

I adore where I live. Outer London postal area, brilliant high street, endless eating and drinking opportunities within 5 minutes walk of our house. Tube station at the end of my road. In the main, pretty sophisticated population. We've been sold for nigh on 4 months now, but there are no houses to buy around here (and I have a pretty decent budget) and our buyer is about to drop out from frustration.

We've found the perfect house. Detached (the Holy Grail for me), quiet road, huge garden and 4 minutes from the Central Line. It is, however, 3 stops out and....horror of horrors....in Essex proper. About a mile from official Greater London border. Vendors been stubborn over an unrealistic price and finally have come down to my offer subject to it moving quickly. Now it's come to the crunch and I can't do it (and am avoiding the agent's calls) so looking pretty stupid. That you can look over past the houses as you walk from the station and see green fields to the horizon, brings me out in a rash. Just over 30 mins to TCR by Tube (and 6 mins to where we live now) but I can't get my head around it. If I don't go ahead, we'll have to re-market the house and be back to square 1.

Can anyone sympathise? Has anyone moved outside the Capital and adjusted? Is there life after an Essex postcode? Is a Joey haircut and spray tan obligatory?

Comments

• Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have I got this right. You sold your house. Got another house you like and put an offer in. Now you don't want to move. Is that it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    Have I got this right. You sold your house. Got another house you like and put an offer in. Now you don't want to move. Is that it?

In a nutshell. Only I do love the house - just can't stomach moving out. And as everyone is telling me, I won't get anything like it where we are now. It's the classic house over location dilemma. I've always yearned for a detached house, but can't stretch to the 1.5M that is needed for one in my current area.

I really after being told to get over myself ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think anywhere with a tube line is honorary London, including Amersham. Overground lines only - now THAT is scary.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay where you are - detached house? Get over yourself.

Location location location.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think anywhere with a tube line is honorary London, including Amersham. Overground lines only - now THAT is scary.

This is what I want to hear :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    In a nutshell. Only I do love the house - just can't stomach moving out. And as everyone is telling me, I won't get anything like it where we are now. It's the classic house over location dilemma. I've always yearned for a detached house, but can't stretch to the 1.5M that is needed for one in my current area.

Ok, I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I would do if I was in that situation.

A house is the biggest purchase of all for just about all of us. I would never move to an area I was not happy with no matter how nice the house is. I would pull out and start all over again if I was having unsure thoughts about it all. There must be something that is really niggling you and making you have second thoughts.

Then again, I would make sure I wasn't making too much of a deal of moving out further and would spend the next few days or evenings to look again around the area of your nice detatched house to see if the area is really not to your tastes before finally making up your mind to pull out. You might actually like the area more than you realise yet.

But you should make sure either way 100% IMO.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    What tube line is at the end of your road?
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    if you are in outer london already - what, zone 4/5 - then i don't really see the difference.

if you are in zones 1-3, don't do it. you will feel like you've moved to mars.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Kent Road girl born and bred. Moved out to the sticks (and I do mean the sticks) 12 years ago and wouldn't go back into London if you paid me.

If I didn't still work in The City, I doubt I'd bother going into London at all these days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Old Kent Road girl born and bred. Moved out to the sticks (and I do mean the sticks) 12 years ago and wouldn't go back into London if you paid me.

If I didn't still work in The City, I doubt I'd bother going into London at all these days

I love London. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    What tube line is at the end of your road?

Central Line. As it is at the end of the prospective house's road - but different branch.
    primer wrote: »
    if you are in outer london already - what, zone 4/5 - then i don't really see the difference.

I've lived in zones 2 and 3 for many years, and Tower Hamlets doesn't appeal these days (though still love Bow). Same goes for Walthamstow. It's zone 4 where we are now, and the move would be to 5. But it's Essex....:o:D
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Trev get over yerself! :)
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So all this panic about moving one flipping zone? OK, I've never lived further out than three and nipped right back into two as soon as I could, but the Northern line drove me to it.

If it's a nice house and you're not miles from decent restaurants and bars, you'll be fine.

Are there phrase books?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you do decide to go to Essex and subsequently feel that you have made a mistake, then this thread is all ready and waiting for you Trev. Help is out there. :p
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2020877 ;-)
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is like reading about life outside the dome in Logan's Run or THX1138.

It's not that scary outside of your protective shell. You might even find some clean air.

Still, if you're that apprehensive then don't move. I moved out of the London suburbs to the Sussex coast a few years ago and it's wonderful down here. Unless you want to catch a bus after 7pm.....but seriously it's all about feeling comfortable where you are - not your actual living space but the area you live in as a whole. I live very close to the sea now in a nice quiet area so I can hear the waves rolling across the pebbles at night time.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »

I feel exactly the same, I was born in City Road, grew up in Battersea, and lived in London for 50 years. I moved to Kent 26 years ago, and it was the best decision that I ever made. I really wouldn't have liked to grow old in London.

I couldn't care less if I ever went back, except that I am running in next year's London Marathon. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You must love taking a beating...because they are right!
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    I've lived in zones 2 and 3 for many years, and Tower Hamlets doesn't appeal these days (though still love Bow). Same goes for Walthamstow. It's zone 4 where we are now, and the move would be to 5. But it's Essex....:o:D

i quite like various bits of tower hamlets - regents canal, lots of new developments there overlooking the water, the many victorian squares off the mile end road, cable street and the proper old old london bits towards the tower end,bow as you say is nice. the mayor is nuts though.

but, zone 5 is definitely still london, whatever the postal address. you've got the tube and you're definitely on the LT map. the zones go up to 9 i think so you're still basically in the inner city in zone 5... :D
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have relatives in London in two nice areas and they love it to bits.
    We live rural though now and have done for decades, we love rural.
    London has its charms in areas of it so I am told, I just feel I have never found those areas ;-):D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've found the perfect house. Detached (the Holy Grail for me), quiet road, huge garden and 4 minutes from the Central Line. It is, however, 3 stops out and....horror of horrors....in Essex proper. About a mile from official Greater London border.

When is the last train? That should help to make up your mind.

Essex isn't that bad, actually. Of course, I say that as a beloved child of one parent living near Maldon for 20-odd years.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    We moved to the sticks good and proper 18 years ago, after living in zones 1 and 2 for the previous 20 odd years. Never looked back. The next move will probably be to something seriously rural, quite possibly France. I think you'll survive Essex, Trev.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I'm a fully paid up member of the London Obsessives society, and it's a debilitating condition.

I adore where I live. Outer London postal area, brilliant high street, endless eating and drinking opportunities within 5 minutes walk of our house. Tube station at the end of my road. In the main, pretty sophisticated population. We've been sold for nigh on 4 months now, but there are no houses to buy around here (and I have a pretty decent budget) and our buyer is about to drop out from frustration.

We've found the perfect house. Detached (the Holy Grail for me), quiet road, huge garden and 4 minutes from the Central Line. It is, however, 3 stops out and....horror of horrors....in Essex proper. About a mile from official Greater London border. Vendors been stubborn over an unrealistic price and finally have come down to my offer subject to it moving quickly. Now it's come to the crunch and I can't do it (and am avoiding the agent's calls) so looking pretty stupid. That you can look over past the houses as you walk from the station and see green fields to the horizon, brings me out in a rash. Just over 30 mins to TCR by Tube (and 6 mins to where we live now) but I can't get my head around it. If I don't go ahead, we'll have to re-market the house and be back to square 1.

Can anyone sympathise? Has anyone moved outside the Capital and adjusted? Is there life after an Essex postcode? Is a Joey haircut and spray tan obligatory?

Yes, I moved from zone 4, nice and leafy to deepest Kent.

We're now moving back (no job choice, too far from London, completely different culture) but cant afford what we want in London (although we did find 2 places to buy but had to pull out due to problems). We have now found somewhere just inside the M25 but its officially outside London, although still has London buses at the end of the road.

Our buyer too is likely to pull out unless things move more quickly, it has taken the best part of a year and we still dont have a survey completed on our purchase. Its a nightmare to find somewhere so I would think carefully about pulling out unless you really cant stand it. If you're just outside the boundary, you're near enough.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like a bit up your own rear end OP, if you don't mind me saying so;-)
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    primer wrote: »

Exactly, anyone would think he's currently living in Mayfair the way the OP goes on. :D Outer London is hardly that glamorous!
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see you're moving from 4 to 5, its still London so I dont see the problem.