Options

Help needed: how did Emmerdale's Cain get out of hospital so soon?

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry, I missed a couple of episodes.

Last I saw was Cain collapsing in the river and taken to hospital for emergency surgery on an aneurysm.

Next I knew he was right as rain and out of hospital. What happened?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He discharged himself after his operation as he didn't want to stay in hospital
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    He discharged himself after his operation as he didn't want to stay in hospital

What a recovery! How long was he in hospital? Ten hours??

Thanks for your info' but his rapid recovery from major brain surgery was madness. Last time I saw him a few days ago, I don't even recall any signs of the operation on his head. IE, shaved hair.

:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a recovery! How long was he in hospital? Ten hours??

Thanks for your info' but his rapid recovery from major brain surgery was madness. Last time I saw him a few days ago, I don't even recall any signs of the operation on his head. IE, shaved hair.

:o
    Erm. I don't know if this is totally correct but I saw something the other night about much the same thing and they went in somewhere MUCH lower down and more private and worked a thing on a wire up.
    Disclaimer: My medical knowledge is minus zilch. :)

plus KO is Mrs God and can work miracles, with help.
  • Options
    BatanyaBatanya Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    It was stated that he had the blood clot removed via an artery/vein in his groin (lucky, lucky doctor!!), so that would explain why his head wasn't shaved.

I'm sure that he would still be on plenty of meds though and I certainly wouldn't get in a car with him after brain surgery. He does look a picture of health though, you'd think he would at least be a little weak and pale afterwards, even if just from shock.

I don't suppose it will ever be mentioned again, bit of a pointless storyline if you ask me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batanya wrote: »
    It was stated that he had the blood clot removed via an artery/vein in his groin (lucky, lucky doctor!!), so that would explain why his head wasn't shaved.

I'm sure that he would still be on plenty of meds though and I certainly wouldn't get in a car with him after brain surgery. He does look a picture of health though, you'd think he would at least be a little weak and pale afterwards, even if just from shock.

I don't suppose it will ever be mentioned again, bit of a pointless storyline if you ask me.
    Wyezed wrote: »
    Erm. I don't know if this is totally correct but I saw something the other night about much the same thing and they went in somewhere MUCH lower down and more private and worked a thing on a wire up.

Thanks.:)

But that outcome is as believable as finding cheese on the Moon. Lucky Cain...
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Wyezed wrote: »

Cain said something like that to Sam when he was in hospital. I was expecting him to have a shaved head or part of his head. But to be up and walking about within hours was a bit far fetched. Before anyone says any Ive had brain surgery still got a hole in the side of my head :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batanya wrote: »

Thanks, that's what I vaguely remembered from the other programme. :)
    It probably had some bearing on the Charity story, although I can't see what.
  • Options
    DoubleOrchidDoubleOrchid Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    This really isn't like brain surgery though, there would be discomfort, mainly in the groin area....

"For patients with unruptured aneurysms, the hospitalization and recovery is typically much smoother and more predictable. In this case, the modality of treatment does influence the hospitalization and recovery. Endovascular therapy, being less invasive, is associated with a shorter hospitalization and more rapid return to previous activities. Following a successful endovascular procedure, most patients are observed in the intensive care unit overnight and discharged from the hospital the following day if there are no complications. These patients may resume all of their prior activities without any specific restrictions within a matter of days. This includes going back to work, driving and flying in airplanes."

This a quote from a brain aneurysm support group online.....
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Thanks.:)

But that outcome is as believable as finding cheese on the Moon. Lucky Cain...

It's a real life technique for treating aneurysms.
  • Options
    RadicalNatureRadicalNature Posts: 5,104
    Forum Member
    It seems like it was devised as a way of bringing Charity and Cain back together. She 'saved his life' and he'll probably help her stay out of prison OR look after Noah & visit her whilst she goes inside.

I LOVE Cain & Charity together though! LOVE it. Their car scam thing was amazing (off to youtube it those scenes in a sec if I can!) She really brings out the fun and sexiness in him. And boy can those two act. Never known a soap couple more suited!

Moira really drags him down, it feels like he's aged 10 years since being with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    It's a real life technique for treating aneurysms.

Then why did the doctors make such a big thing about it? Cain left the hospital the first time because he thought major surgery would be involved and the doctors and nurses led him to believe that - he might not survive.

And then we find the 'operation' was as simple as having one's teeth cleaned at the dentist's. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    My mum had a brain haemorrhage in the summer, and they did the same coiling process (the wire in the groin), but she's still nowhere near as energetic as she used to be. It's probably different because the clot actually burst, but Cain should actually have a longer recovery time. Seems a bit of a pointless storyline if I'm honest.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC They just insert a filament wire up through an artery and then end opens like a little cage at the aneurism site which stabilises it and it also does something else to 'fix' it that I cant remember. The surgery itself can be quite risky and NOT having it could result in you dying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why did the doctors make such a big thing about it? Cain left the hospital the first time because he thought major surgery would be involved and the doctors and nurses led him to believe that - he might not survive.

And then we find the 'operation' was as simple as having one's teeth cleaned at the dentist's. :D
    That woman doctor that told him about it was pretty scary, though, :D
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He self discharged
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member

ED's doctors are always scary with poor bedside manner.

Anything involving the brain is serious, regardless of procedure or how long the operation takes.. Any operation carries with it a risk of death. Really, the doctor should have explained the procedure to Cain the first time, but didn't b/c they wanted to be dramatic. I think they were stressing that he could've died if he didn't have the operation as the aneurysm could have burst which could've been fatal.

I certainly wouldn't liken it to getting your teeth cleaned at the dentist.