Ian Brady: Endgames of a Psychopath

Comments

• Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    Blimey, considering that part of the 'evidence' quoted in the above article is that
    "the cause of death on her death certificate was given as pneumonia. This is quite easily diagnosed and treated by antibiotics"

I have to wonder what planet the authors are living on.

Numerous people die from pneumonia each year. My elderly aunt did, and my not so elderly partner had a very close shave a couple of years ago (He was told that if he had been a smoker, he wouldn't be here now, as it was he had several months off work)

I know..how can these people be bothered to make up this shite?

I've known several people to die of pneumonia, 2 of them younger than Myra Hindley. She had been battling emphysema for years and was a heavy smoker, of course she's dead.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jackie Powell is completely deluded about her "role" in Ian Brady's life. She comes across as a very unpleasant, self important person with no sense of her own limitations.

I wrote on another thread that I hoped she had acted to the letter of the law when she made the decision not to forward the letter (if it ever existed) to the authorities because otherwise she would find herself hounded out of her home and her sanity. Now I frankly don't care, the woman is a disgrace and deserves to be vilified.
  • kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in the documentary it stated she first came into contact with him after being asked to sit in on an interview so someone started this process off. It's not as if she just turned up one day and blagged her way in... I hope!!!

as said above, she used to work for an advocacy service at Ashworth hospital run by CAB and its most likely she was asked through that. when I was an advocate I was asked to sit on interviews with the police albeit obviously for considerably lesser crimes. Its part of the job.

where she went wrong was to accept the role on a freelance basis - goes against everything in advocacy codes of practice. without supervision and monitoring and ongoing training you've got no hope of remaining independent - and she clearly didn't have any of those things
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the point of this rehash? same old B/W film, same old pics weve seen a thousand times before, with a load of Loonies professing to know that Brady is Manpulative, etc. Tell us something we dont know. Let the Bugger die and good riddance, still i suppose well then get more endless programmes on it again.
  • HerefordgirlHerefordgirl Posts: 3,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm perfectly happy that Brady continues to live given his current physical health. However, I believe he should be denied the attentions of potential new acolytes like this Powell woman - she should never have been allowed near him. Certainly people who are involved in that manner with him should be banned from any media contact, let alone be allowed to write a book. All they do is give him oxygen.

It was interesting someone mentioning that she looked like Hindley - I actually thought she had something of Rose West about her. I'd like to know what Powell looked like 10-15 years ago.

On the subject of the death penalty - whilst Keith's family continue to suffer at least Pauline Reade was found. Had the pair been executed there would be two families suffering. It was believed that the Wests had more victims but Fred West committing suicide means they'll never be identified. So while I used to be very much in favour of the death penalty, now I think there are more things that need to be considered, including the fact there are worse punishments than death.

I believe Brady wants to be transferred to a facility where he will be allowed to die; it would be nice if it was legal to tell him the moment Keith's body is given a proper burial, then away you go.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think that Brady has absolutely no intention of revealing where Keith Bennett's remains are. I think he'll take that secret to his grave. Brady is the rare few that are truly evil beyond belief. The same goes for Hindley as well. She could have easily revealed where his remains are but she chose not to, unless she didn't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Brady wants to be transferred to a facility where he will be allowed to die; it would be nice if it was legal to tell him the moment Keith's body is given a proper burial, then away you go.

The kids he killed wanted to live, but he cold bloodedly took away their life. He has the absolute cheek to make this request after he did what he did 50 years ago.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    What was the point of this rehash? same old B/W film, same old pics weve seen a thousand times before, with a load of Loonies professing to know that Brady is Manpulative, etc. Tell us something we dont know. Let the Bugger die and good riddance, still i suppose well then get more endless programmes on it again.

I would agree normally. I dont watch these over emotive types of programmes, but in this case one of the interviewees became the story. And in my opinion it is a story. Nothing to do with Brady. The Powell woman begs many questions, mostly unanswered.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know if Jackie Powell is still allowed to see Brady, in the light of her recent arrest?
    I just cannot conceive how Ashworth allowed this relationship to develop, especially as her advocacy status was unofficial...with one of their most high profile residents? There should be some kind of enquiry.
    Very easy for her to say that she is unconcerned with events of 50 years ago (wish it could be as easy for the victims' families) and that what matters for her now is Brady's present status. I agree with those who say she comes across as very similar to one of these women that become fascinated with (usually male) serial killers and start writing to them in prison. Perhaps if she was made to sit and listen to the helpless pleading of Lesley Anne Downey and view the horrific last photos taken of the poor child, she'd think twice but, somehow, I doubt it. The woman has built this facade of 'professionalism' around herself and I'm glad this documentary was made and that her 'veneer' has been crushed. It's played right into Brady's hands. The best way to deal with him is to disallow him contact with anyone who he can manipulate. He might be in poor physical health (largely self-inflicted) but it sounds like his capacity for mind games is as strong as ever. Like I said earlier, for a man so weak from years of hunger strikes (force feeding does have its physiological limits), he must have some will to live to still be here and the hunger striking is all part of his game-playing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    as much as i read about this man i cant understand how people such as Jackie are allowed to have such close alliances to him for so many years when it is known how manipulative and psychopathic he is. i was watching another documentary where the presenter was saying there is something very seductive about psychopathic traits (strong, controlling etc) and it seems like Jackie has fallen for these as i cant imagine any other reason for her loyalty and why she got so agitated when questioned about the letter.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=kittymoon;60618232]as much as i read about this man i cant understand how people such as Jackie are allowed to have such close alliances to him for so many years when it is known how manipulative and psychopathic he is. i was watching another documentary where the presenter was saying there is something very seductive about psychopathic traits (strong, controlling etc) and it seems like Jackie has fallen for these as i cant imagine any other reason for her loyalty and why she got so agitated when questioned about the letter.[/QUOTE]

Hello, newbie :)

Think a good few people in this thread will very much agree with you !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I know..how can these people be bothered to make up this shite?

I've known several people to die of pneumonia, 2 of them younger than Myra Hindley. She had been battling emphysema for years and was a heavy smoker, of course she's dead.

Exactly. Pneumonia was referred to as the "old man's friend" in years gone by.
    Several illnesses and conditions end up with the patient developing pneumonia which fininishes them off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackie Powell's close involvement with Brady does raise up some previously unthought of questions, which will probably remain unanswered unless an enquiry is launched. If the letter does exist, what else has Brady entrusted to Powell regarding Keith Bennett's remains, the case in general or perhaps even information regarding other unknown victims? (I pray this is not the case). Of course Brady could just be conducting a twisted ruse in which he lures Powell into a false sense of security in thinking that he has been entrusting her with his deepest, darkest secrets when in reality he has given away nothing, but who's to say? Who do believe when surrounded by liars and people with a very different idea of morality? I think Powell should be psychologically assessed. After 15 years of unrestricted contact to Brady with no assessment or follow-up, it would not surprise me if this woman's clearly weak and impressionable mind was warped, just as he did with Hindley. Ashworth Hospital needs to be taken into account for this as well, it is a travesty that one of their most high profile patients with a long history of severe mental health problems and what could only be described as an evil core could have his affairs handled by a 'volunteer'. Why anyone would willingly give up their time to spend it corresponding with and for someone like him makes you wonder if Powell wasn't a little bit bat sh*t crazy to begin with.
  • TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Just watched this. I bet there was no letter. She made it up to make herself look important.
  • MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a possibility, sadly. It still doesn't add up though, how can such a powerful piece of evidence (if it even exists) slip through the net?

I wonder if anyone's seen this sealed envelope because I found it strange that, after being questioned about it in the programme (and becoming very evasive), she then handed it back to Brady.

I have doubts that the letter actually exists and, when she realised that she may well be forced to produce it, she concocted the story of having returned it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBilly wrote: »
    Just watched this. I bet there was no letter. She made it up to make herself look important.

There is the possibility that she's a fantasist.

I got the feeling from the others (apart from the man with the big poster of Brady) that they were glad when their time involved with Brady was up, yet she has continued on a freelance basis and has power of attorney. Perhaps there's something in her that enjoys the connection between them. :confused:
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Jackie Powell's close involvement with Brady does raise up some previously unthought of questions, which will probably remain unanswered unless an enquiry is launched. If the letter does exist, what else has Brady entrusted to Powell regarding Keith Bennett's remains, the case in general or perhaps even information regarding other unknown victims? (I pray this is not the case). Of course Brady could just be conducting a twisted ruse in which he lures Powell into a false sense of security in thinking that he has been entrusting her with his deepest, darkest secrets when in reality he has given away nothing, but who's to say? Who do believe when surrounded by liars and people with a very different idea of morality? I think Powell should be psychologically assessed. After 15 years of unrestricted contact to Brady with no assessment or follow-up, it would not surprise me if this woman's clearly weak and impressionable mind was warped, just as he did with Hindley. Ashworth Hospital needs to be taken into account for this as well, it is a travesty that one of their most high profile patients with a long history of severe mental health problems and what could only be described as an evil core could have his affairs handled by a 'volunteer'. Why anyone would willingly give up their time to spend it corresponding with and for someone like him makes you wonder if Powell wasn't a little bit bat sh*t crazy to begin with.

You know, there's a lot of assumption in this post.

Maybe too much to even be taken seriously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    I work in mental health and i found the way she spoke to the camera and the things that came out of her mouth so un-professional. The next day in work everyone was talking about it and her. Its just a shame that man still has the power to hold back information and the strength to play games after all these years.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of the programme it stated that Brady's condition was still critical. I wonder if he'll die soon?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the programme it stated that Brady's condition was still critical. I wonder if he'll die soon?

He's got two broken vertebrae which means he can't be force-fed. Unfortunately, he might get his wish. I'm hoping his vertebrae heals quickly so he can be force-fed again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is the possibility that she's a fantasist.

I got the feeling from the others (apart from the man with the big poster of Brady) that they were glad when their time involved with Brady was up, yet she has continued on a freelance basis and has power of attorney. Perhaps there's something in her that enjoys the connection between them. :confused:

She seemed very determined not to talk once the conversation got deeper into 'forbidden territory'. Unless there were things that she didn't want to reveal because it would have meant betraying Brady in a professional sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/18950

There is an e-petition running on the case if anyone would like to sign. From reading the Keith Bennett official website I believe that the family have specific information to where he may be buried but the Police won't look into it.

I can't think of something more worthwhile than a tiny bit of government cash to be spent on the search. If they can spend a few million reviewing another certain case, a fracion of what it would cost to look for this poor boys body won't harm.

I hope the link I've posted above is the correct one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/18950

There is an e-petition running on the case if anyone would like to sign. From reading the Keith Bennett official website I believe that the family have specific information to where he may be buried but the Police won't look into it.

I can't think of something more worthwhile than a tiny bit of government cash to be spent on the search. If they can spend a few million reviewing another certain case, a fracion of what it would cost to look for this poor boys body won't harm.

I hope the link I've posted above is the correct one.

That petition's for Winnie Johnson and she's dead. Although I suppose it still goes towards helping to find his body.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I think I've posted the wrong one sorry. Will try and see if I can find out what is the best one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    She seemed very determined not to talk once the conversation got deeper into 'forbidden territory'. Unless there were things that she didn't want to reveal because it would have meant betraying Brady in a professional sense.

She wasn't remotely concerned with betraying him in a professional sense. Shortly before the business where she refused to talk about the contents of a letter than she may or may not have received or read, there was clear footage of her reading from a letter that was specifically flagged up as "private correspondence".

Different definitions of what constitutes confidential don't add up to any kind of professionalism. More like attention seeking