• latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't after his mother ransacked it ! ! :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't after his mother ransacked it ! ! :D:D

AND as if a teenage boy would know what a 90 degree wash was? It's virtually a boil wash and his school uniform would have shrunk!

Tsk, tsk....... scriptwriters..... AS IF!
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good that there are so many suspects, it could be the one
    that was in the shower, she may have got involved with this other lad via the girl who was the victim, maybe he was going too far and the girl objected, got stabbed and that's why she said sorry to her friend. Maybe, just maybe, the son was protecting the girl in the shower. That's how he ended up with blood on his shoes

No doubt I'm wrong, I always am.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Glad that I recorded Lost Weekend as I do with all ITV dramas, and only wasted 2 hours and not 3.
    I wished I did the same as you, what a let down that was.
    InNoctem wrote: »
    Good drama. Quite enjoyed it and it's good to know it's on for only two consecutive nights. At least it wouldn't be stretched too thin.
    Agreed.

I have another theory as to who the killer may be if it isn't who I first thought (Martin Clunes' character): the 13yo daughter - might explain why she was out so late at the start of the episode! ;)
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep will be watching this whilst recording Accused...or vice versa
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »

I have another theory as to who the killer may be if it isn't who I first thought (Martin Clunes' character): the 13yo daughter - might explain why she was out so late at the start of the episode! ;)

Ooh I didn't think of that, good thinking!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »

Could be! I still think it's the older girl, though. And her brother (not the one the mum suspects, the other one) knows she did it because he spies on her in the shower and saw her wash the blood off.:D
  • HerefordgirlHerefordgirl Posts: 3,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I thought Martin is the murderer. Not sure why tho :confused:

It's my thought too, nothing concrete other than he doesn't really seem to be contributing much so far!
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty good, with some very powerful scenes and sensitive acting. BUT....as others on this thread have said, the trouble with a drama like this is that it presents itself as a "Whodunit" or rather a "Pretty-much-any-one-of-the-characters-might-have done it", instead of concentrating on whether it is or isn't the main suspect (in this case Jamie).

Effectively it sets up the guessing-game by giving us a reason to suspect everyone might be dodgy or have a secret. So the mystery surrounding Jamie is diluted by introducing so many other possible suspects, which (as someone said earlier on this thread) takes the focus away from the central theme of "what would any mother do if..." But it doesn't quite work as a whodunit either, because practically everyone is under suspicion. So unless the murderer turns out to be the policewoman or the newsreader or a passing squirrel, there's no scope for a real surprise twist at the end.

I remember a similar feeling about that recent drama starring Anna Friel as a probation officer with Daniel Mays as her client. It started out as a good, involving psychological drama about a murderer being reintroduced into society. But half way through, it turned out he may not have done the murder, so the rest of the drama became all about "whodunit" and something was lost.

That said, I think A Mother's Son is nicely done, and I'll certainly watch part 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    just got round to watching this....didnt think it was too bad but expected more from the cast/critics etc (just like the last weekend).

i really hope it doesnt turn out to be a bunch of red herrings that lead you up to a conclusion, but then in the last 10 mins something else is found out that points to someone with absolutely no prior link or character development at all (really hate it when they do that!)

i love the cast, but why do these dramas always insist on such hammy family scenes; who has family sing songs in the car on the way to school nowadays?!
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kittymoon wrote: »
    just got round to watching this....didnt think it was too bad but expected more from the cast/critics etc (just like the last weekend).

i really hope it doesnt turn out to be a bunch of red herrings that lead you up to a conclusion, but then in the last 10 mins something else is found out that points to someone with absolutely no prior link or character development at all (really hate it when they do that!)

i love the cast, but why do these dramas always insist on such hammy family scenes; who has family sing songs in the car on the way to school nowadays?!

BiB; Yes! Well said! That's exactly what I was trying to say in my post above yours, but you expressed it far better than me! :)

Totally agree about the family sing song too! :)
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, Martin Clunes is far too obvious. It`s either going to be the other boy, or the girl.

(or someone else entirely)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long to find out now...
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've changed my mind about Clunes being the murderer. I'm now leaning more towards the ex-husband, although someone else also made a good case for it being the daughter who was late home at the beginning. In other words, I'm hedging my bets!
    Forum Member
    I now think it was the ex husband, Jamies dad!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Nah, Martin Clunes is far too obvious. It`s either going to be the other boy, or the girl.

(or someone else entirely)

Ah, the other boy`s trying to dob Suspect nr 1 in. Bound to be him.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well thats stupid advert planning!!!!!!!:confused:
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty good, with some very powerful scenes and sensitive acting. BUT....as others on this thread have said, the trouble with a drama like this is that it presents itself as a "Whodunit" or rather a "Pretty-much-any-one-of-the-characters-might-have done it", instead of concentrating on whether it is or isn't the main suspect (in this case Jamie).

Effectively it sets up the guessing-game by giving us a reason to suspect everyone might be dodgy or have a secret. So the mystery surrounding Jamie is diluted by introducing so many other possible suspects, which (as someone said earlier on this thread) takes the focus away from the central theme of "what would any mother do if..." But it doesn't quite work as a whodunit either, because practically everyone is under suspicion. So unless the murderer turns out to be the policewoman or the newsreader or a passing squirrel, there's no scope for a real surprise twist at the end.

I remember a similar feeling about that recent drama starring Anna Friel as a probation officer with Daniel Mays as her client. It started out as a good, involving psychological drama about a murderer being reintroduced into society. But half way through, it turned out he may not have done the murder, so the rest of the drama became all about "whodunit" and something was lost.

That said, I think A Mother's Son is nicely done, and I'll certainly watch part 2.

I had virtually this exact conversation with my husband just before Part 2 started.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Ah, the other boy`s trying to dob Suspect nr 1 in. Bound to be him.

Definitely him. Trying to set up the other lad.
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've shown the murdered girl's mother more tonight than in the first episode. It makes me wonder if she is involved somehow (though that sounds implausible, I know...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's slightly miffing me off that mom and stepdad are possibly tampering with evidence
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that I can't really decide where this is going; which is good for a whodunnit.
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else pick up on the fact that Jamie said he last saw Lorraine when he and his mate met up with her for a smoke after school the day before she died? she died on a Monday, therefore the day before would've been Sunday and there's no school on a Sunday.. Poor writing or is Jamie lying? Hmmm.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last part, place your bets please

I'm going for one of the daughters...
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the Dad and his son is covering up for him...maybe.