France confirms Mali military intervention

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
Forum Member
✭✭✭
President Francois Hollande says French troops are taking part in operations against Islamists in northern Mali.

French troops "have brought support this afternoon to Malian units to fight against terrorist elements", he said.

Armed groups, some linked to al-Qaeda, took control of northern Mali in April.

Mr Hollande said the intervention complied with international law, and had been agreed with Malian President Dioncounda Traore. A state of emergency has been declared across the country.

Mr Traore used a televised address on Friday to call on Malians to unite to "free every inch" of the country.

He said he was to launch a "powerful and massive riposte against our enemies" after he "called for and obtained France's air support within the framework of the international legality".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20991719

So, what does everyone think of this?

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although every case is obviously different, the western world doesn't seem too consistent when it comes to getting involved in foreign civil wars. Didn't some of anti Gadaffi factions in Libya have 'ties to Al Qaeda'? Yet we sided with them anyway. However places like Syria and Bahrain etc. we've just largely ignored.

Still I guess Mali was a French colony 50 odd years ago, so perhaps they feel should get involved.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm hoping it won't be like the First Indochina war - where France were involved, did a runner and the US took over the fight against the enemy.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Although every case is obviously different, the western world doesn't seem too consistent when it comes to getting involved in foreign civil wars. Didn't some of anti Gadaffi factions in Libya have 'ties to Al Qaeda'? Yet we sided with them anyway. However places like Syria and Bahrain etc. we've just largely ignored.

Still I guess Mali was a French colony 50 odd years ago, so perhaps they feel should get involved.

In Libya it wasnt just ties.

It was cells that were sending suicide bombers over the borders to Iraq against our troops that we were helping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Libya it wasnt just ties.

It was cells that were sending suicide bombers over the borders to Iraq against our troops that we were helping.
    I think Al Qaeda kinda took advantage of the chaos somewhat unfortunatley. I doubt every anti Gaddafi person was Al Qaeda. They just wanted a tyrant out
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought the Daily Mail had invaded France...
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,943
    Forum Member
    Just saw interesting tweet from the PM's office. Sounds like we're sending military transport vehicles over to Africa to help French/African operations in Mali.
    http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/statement-on-pm-call-with-president-hollande/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news. Al Shebab and all other Islamist militant organisations must be eradicated from Africa. If you look at what is happening there - from Somalia to Mali to Nigeria - Islamic extremists are waging war on democracy (or what little of it there is).

Hopefully soon the UK will send over troops, it'll give them something to do as Afghanistan winds down.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,943
    Forum Member
    What's interesting is how pro-active France is becoming in the 'war on terror'. Hollande is just as keen to send the troops in as Sarkozy was.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    Excellent news. Al Shebab and all other Islamist militant organisations must be eradicated from Africa. If you look at what is happening there - from Somalia to Mali to Nigeria - Islamic extremists are waging war on democracy (or what little of it there is).

Hopefully soon the UK will send over troops, it'll give them something to do as Afghanistan winds down.

We have sent two planes.
  • Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time the French did something. Nuke them until they glow.