Anyone tried clicker training for dogs?

woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did it work?
Did you do it yourself or have help from a trainer?

Ive just bought my 1st clicker, never tried it before.

Ive been watching lots of videos about how to do it correctly.

Did it work for you?

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did try it, but my disability meant I cannot be so precise when I click so she wasn't getting the click at the right point. You need precision I think when you use it.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I used it to teach my dog fetch. Simple things like sit, roll over etc he learnt easily but if you tried to play fetch he would chase the ball then run off and chew it.

With a clicker and treats i managed to teach him to bring the ball back and it did work. Took a few goes though until it started to look like it was working.

I did try to use it to get him to heel when we are walking but once we left the garden the clicker had no power over him!
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I clicker trained my dog, its a great easy way to train. Just remember to reward every single time you click, even if you do it by accident, otherwise the click/treat association will be lost and it will be useless. Start with simple things like sit to start with and work up to other stuff If he does what you ask, click and treat ( you must treat instantly for the dog to associate what its getting clicked for), if he doesn't, no click = no reward. He'll soon get the hang of it. Its a positive way of training, and the dog enjoys it because there's no 'punishing' wrong behaviour, but just concentrate on rewarding the good. If he does what you want he gets a treat, if he doesn't he gets nothing, its as simple as that so they generally pick it up quickly.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't do it within earshot of me. That goes straight to the top of my list of "Trivial things that really annoy you".
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my dogs ate my clicker.
  • Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just get a dog whistle.